shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or rose gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s yellow gold which I don''t know if it does much for the pink diamond, but it certainly does a lot for the yellow greens.

TLdiamonds_yg.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
far away shot

Thanks for everyone''s input - it is really helping me decide.

TLfuzzyshot4.JPG

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
having just been through this.,...white!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My top choice is rose gold, followed by yellow gold. White just makes everything look washed out. In this case, I prefer a delicate setting, nothing to overwhelm the diamonds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe 18K rose gold, so the coppery-ness of it wouldn''t overwhelm the piece?? I think the one ring I showed was a bit too coppery, but it was 14K.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I KNOW you said not to suggest two tone gold but ......... after seeing the photos, I''d opt for yellow gold for the sides and white gold for the lavender/pink. I honestly don''t think rose gold works (but I know you''re a fan) and you''ll be the one wearing it not me!!! What an exciting project!

p.s. I''m in the process of having two peach and one purple/lavender diamond set in a pendant and it''s going to be white gold for all three.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 10:15:12 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I KNOW you said not to suggest two tone gold but ......... after seeing the photos, I''d opt for yellow gold for the sides and white gold for the lavender/pink. I honestly don''t think rose gold works (but I know you''re a fan) and you''ll be the one wearing it not me!!! What an exciting project!

p.s. I''m in the process of having two peach and one purple/lavender diamond set in a pendant and it''s going to be white gold for all three.
LD,
OOOOOOO!!! I''d love to see those. Do you have pics of the diamonds loose (post it here if you want).

Yes, I''m thinking that the best option for this ring is going to be two tone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2009 11:36:34 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Maybe 18K rose gold, so the coppery-ness of it wouldn''t overwhelm the piece?? I think the one ring I showed was a bit too coppery, but it was 14K.
Not to me. When there''s no embelishment other than plain metal, I like the piece to stand out a little more, either in design or colour. Especially if you keep the shank thin, the colour shouldn''t overpower the ring and stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 1:50:58 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 2/20/2009 11:36:34 PM
Not to me. When there''s no embelishment other than plain metal, I like the piece to stand out a little more, either in design or colour. Especially if you keep the shank thin, the colour shouldn''t overpower the ring and stones.
I agree that a think shank might be ideal for this. Thanks Chrono, and thanks again to everyone for their ideas and opinions. I really appreciate it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that some non-plated white golds have a dark grey color; something that wouldn''t do much for your stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think I''m going to do a rose gold with a thin shank. Sorry all you white gold fans. I found a nice rose gold setting on ebay, so I''ll do that. I don''t want to pay a fortune for the setting since I rather spend my $$ on more gems!!
31.gif

Also, after seeing Shaunrice''s mother''s colored diamond ring in the simple setting, it really allowed the stones to be the center of the attention. The shank was very thin as well. I really liked that.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Thanks for the last minute thoughts Mr. Ma Rae. I always look forward to your commentary on colors and mixing and matching.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 1:54:04 PM
Well, I think I''m going to do a rose gold with a thin shank. Sorry all you white gold fans. I found a nice rose gold setting on ebay, so I''ll do that. I don''t want to pay a fortune for the setting since I rather spend my $$ on more gems!!
31.gif

Also, after seeing Shaunrice''s mother''s colored diamond ring in the simple setting, it really allowed the stones to be the center of the attention. The shank was very thin as well. I really liked that.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Thanks for the last minute thoughts Mr. Ma Rae. I always look forward to your commentary on colors and mixing and matching.
TL, I''m so glad to see you going with what you truly love, and not necessarily what is popular. That ring is going to be eye-catching once it''s on your finger!

I can''t wait to see it!
36.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PR, and the setting is less than $100, which makes me very very happy indeed.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Great deal! What does the setting look like? Do you have a picture?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s pretty. It''s not as pink [maybe coppery is the correct term?] as other rose gold I''ve seen, but it should look nice! :)

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:21:03 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 4:51:16 PM
Author: karee888
Here''s the ebay listing. I haven''t purchased it yet. Very small, thin, and inexpensive. Probably not the best quality in the world, but I want something low-key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130253262688

It''s pretty! I like its simplicity. I hope it will be exactly as described, and your stones will fit securely. That''s a great price!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much PR. I really appreciate it, and thank you again my friend.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 5:26:12 PM
I think it''s pretty. It''s not as pink [maybe coppery is the correct term?] as other rose gold I''ve seen, but it should look nice! :)
Thank you karee888. Have you decided what you''re going to do with your BB spinel?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for asking!

Wow, this thing is super gorgeous. It''s a deep but sparkly blue in sunlight, and then in my living room in the evening it''s definitely a sparkly vivid purple. It''s awesome, like having lots of different rings! :)

I decided to get #3 if you remember all the pics...it was the thin white gold band with small diamonds. The setting should be here sometime this week. I can''t wait to take and post pics!

My next project will hopefully be a stone that I can use that bezeled halo! And I also want a chunky cushion, and a stone that is an asscher or barion cut, and....the list goes on! So many things to do! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 8:47:05 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 2/21/2009 10:15:12 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

I have to admit, this was my first thought.. I''d set the pink in rose gold so quickly and yellow for the sides.
17.gif
I know, but for now this will have to do. I have seen yellow/green diamonds in rose gold, and it really appealed to me. I''m just a rose gold nut I guess. Thanks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 8:50:45 PM
Thanks for asking!

Wow, this thing is super gorgeous. It''s a deep but sparkly blue in sunlight, and then in my living room in the evening it''s definitely a sparkly vivid purple. It''s awesome, like having lots of different rings! :)

I decided to get #3 if you remember all the pics...it was the thin white gold band with small diamonds. The setting should be here sometime this week. I can''t wait to take and post pics!

My next project will hopefully be a stone that I can use that bezeled halo! And I also want a chunky cushion, and a stone that is an asscher or barion cut, and....the list goes on! So many things to do! :)
Karee888,
I''m so happy you''re happy with your lovely spinel. I do remember that setting, and I think it''s a very good choice. I can''t wait to see pics!!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!

From reading all the recent posts here, I''ve begun wondering what it would look like in rose gold! :)

Now my husband is back to work [with 2 less hours per week...they cut everyone by 5%] so I''ve been playing. :)

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:23:32 PM
Thank you so much PR. I really appreciate it, and thank you again my friend.
1.gif

You''re welcome!
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
TL, I probably don''t have to tell YOU that
2.gif
, but get it set by the best jeweller you can find. These settings are quite lightweight (i.e. they don''t have a lot of metal) and mass-produced (obvious from the price) so someone knowledgable and skillful should do the job as there are diamonds involved.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock

Here''s the ebay listing. I haven''t purchased it yet. Very small, thin, and inexpensive. Probably not the best quality in the world, but I want something low-key.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130253262688

I LOVE Leibcor. Despite being so cheap and obviously mass-produced, they are really nice. I made a ring using a setting from them for my mom for her birthday last year. She wears it every day and the ring still looks new!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 2:20:48 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Here's the ebay listing. I haven't purchased it yet. Very small, thin, and inexpensive. Probably not the best quality in the world, but I want something low-key.

I LOVE Leibcor. Despite being so cheap and obviously mass-produced, they are really nice. I made a ring using a setting from them for my mom for her birthday last year. She wears it every day and the ring still looks new!
Thanks MonkeyPie, that's good to hear about Leibcor. I really want something low key and inexpensive.

Mr. MaRae, I have a really good jeweler. When they were setting my champagne pink diamond in it's current rose gold mount, the pink gold prongs started to bend off and, as a result, they used this $250,000 laser machine to put the prongs back on.
23.gif
I almost fainted to think you had to use something like that to put prongs back on. Thanks for warning me though, I appreciate it.
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 1:26:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

I have to say, I love the warmth of it as well. My Mom''s wedding ring was copper with garnet (Mom & Dad were so poor) and my sister has what is left of the ring. I am seriously considering having it refabricated with rose gold & spinel or garnet... As a little girl, I never saw the ring, only in pictures from my sister.
I wear my current rose gold ring with the green and pink diamonds in it everyday. I just love the color of copper.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I love the simple setting choice TL. I think its a good way to go at this point in terms of getting those beauties set without breaking the bank. I look forward to seeing the final product!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2009 11:22:20 AM
Author: Clairitek
I love the simple setting choice TL. I think its a good way to go at this point in terms of getting those beauties set without breaking the bank. I look forward to seeing the final product!
Thanks c-tek. I''ll be traveling next week so I won''t get to set it until afterwards. I would have really loved an engraved three stone band, but the less ornate, I think the better with this particular project.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results