shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold or Platinum - how can you tell?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
What is the best way to determine if a ring is white gold or platinum? If you pay for a platinum ring is there anyway to know if it''s truely platinum?
Can jewelers or appraisers tell somehow?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, the difference between white gold and platinum is very obvious...specific gravity if you want to be scientific about it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can easily feel the difference in weight. other than that, each would be stamped with the metal content. i.e....18k or plat 950
or a similar combination.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 8:19:39 PM
Author: belle
you can easily feel the difference in weight. other than that, each would be stamped with the metal content. i.e....18k or plat 950

or a similar combination.

This is what I was hoping. I received the ring I ordered today. I paid for Platinum, but the appraisal that came with it says a 18k White Gold ring. There are no inner markings on the band. How can I tell if I got one versus the other?
I can call, but who''s to say they won''t just say the appraisal was mistaken?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They shouldn't say that. Because you will tell them A) it's not stamped B) the appraisal says it's white gold C) Your reciept says platinum (it does right? You did get that in writing). And you will follow that up by saying you are disappointed and want to know what they are going to do to make this right.

Also if you take it to a good jeweler they will be able to tell you right away.

Also, if you paid with a credit card... if they make a fuss you can dispute this through them. They will not want to deal with that... remind them of that fact.

And if you paid with another form of payment... and they make a fuss... mention the BBB.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow. did the appraisal come from the jeweler, or was it independent?

is it a simple solitaire? if it is, I would expect a plat setting to weigh at least a .25 cent piece.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to a jewelry store.
Pick up a platinum ring of similar size and compare its weight to your ring.

Then do the same with a gold ring of similar size.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 8:52:09 PM
Author: kenny
Go to a jewelry store.
Pick up a platinum ring of similar size and compare its weight to your ring.

Then do the same with a gold ring of similar size.
Without markings on the inside of your ring, seems the simplest thing to do!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
That seems so strange......usually all rings have some sort of markings inside. If you paid for plat then you need to contact the vendor and find out what''s going on.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 8:46:35 PM
Author: JulieN
wow. did the appraisal come from the jeweler, or was it independent?

is it a simple solitaire? if it is, I would expect a plat setting to weigh at least a .25 cent piece.

The appraisal came from the jeweler. It''s a ring with sidestones, so not sure how heavy the difference would be between white gold and platinum. I''m going to call the jeweler tomorrow and get it confirmed independently (somehow).

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A gemologist or savvy jeweler with metal testing equipment can tell you.

The non-stamping is probably just an oversight. Once you find out what the metal is, you can ask the vendor to stamp it for you, or have a local custom jeweler stamp it for you once he tests it and is satisfied it''s platinum.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You mentioned that it is 950 platinum.

What is the alloy used?

Different alloys can affect how the heft would feel to you. So the "heft" test could be misleading.

Iridium, for instance is twice as heavy as Cobalt is. Also some manufacturers are casting with less platinum, so that could fool you too with the heft test.

As for a jeweler stamping it, that didn''t cast the item, I doubt most would want to do that, as they are taking on a liability for marking it.

I''d suggest asking the selling jeweler to show you the invoice for the item that would state the identity of the metal used. Tell him to cover up the price, they charged him, as that should provide you with substanciation of what the true metal content and alloy is.

Rockdoc

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
appraisers make mistakes to. I have a ring that is stamped PT950 and the appraisal came back 18K. An obvious mistake. I know the ring was platinum, I bought it as platinum, it feels like platinum. But the appraiser was sloppy in the whole report and on another item and I got an new appraisal by someone esle.

The second person said that it tested as platinum and did not rely only on the stamp. Not sure what test she used?

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 8:58:45 AM
Author: asscherisme
appraisers make mistakes to. I have a ring that is stamped PT950 and the appraisal came back 18K. An obvious mistake. I know the ring was platinum, I bought it as platinum, it feels like platinum. But the appraiser was sloppy in the whole report and on another item and I got an new appraisal by someone esle.

The second person said that it tested as platinum and did not rely only on the stamp. Not sure what test she used?

The problem is that the Jeweler/Manufacturer is the one who made the mistake. It just adds to some of the issues I have already had and doesn''t make me feel that comfortable when the Jeweler''s personal appraisal says it''s White Gold.

gem girl

Rough_Rock
here''s your answer. Find an independant gemologist/appraiser. have them do a scratch test or an electronic gold test and then doccument it. stamping is usually accurate, but not all jewelry must be stamped. otherwise, judgeing by heft, a platinum ring should feel about 3x heavier than a comparable w.gold ring.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Well the Jeweler got back to me and confirmed that it is 18k White Gold.
So now I have to decide if I want to send it back and wait again for it to get done in Platinum or he offered a $200 refund to keep the ring as is. The only problem I have is that on his website the ring that I got is $400 in difference for 18k White Gold, so why is he only offering $200?

I''m not happy at all with this experience because the ring was already two weeks late and now I don''t know how long it would take if it needed to get redone.
I have to call him back Monday, because he called when my girlfriend was with me.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
He must mean $200 on top of the $400 he overcharged you, for a total of $600. Anything less would be insulting.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you mentioned that this was just one of several problems. if you're unhappy with the jeweler, I wonder if you could just return the whole piece since he didn't deliver on what was agreed.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 6:48:44 PM
Author: SquareCut
He must mean $200 on top of the $400 he overcharged you, for a total of $600. Anything less would be insulting.

He didn''t overcharge $400. There is a $400 difference according to his website between Platinum and White Gold, but yet I''m only being offered a refund of $200.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Did he charge you for platinum? For a $200 difference, I would get the platinum one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way would I settle for a $200 refund to keep the gold ring. You ordered platinum and he should make a very fast effort to correct the error.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I must be missing something.

You ordered platinum, paid the platinum price and he delivered 18k by mistake. Not surprisingly, he would like you to keep the 18k piece but he wants you to pay more than if you had just bought 18k in the first place? Heck, I would sort of expect a discount along with an apology because you’re saving him the trouble and risk of dealing with a return, moving the stone from one mounting to the other and disposing of the now used 18k mounting. Why in the world should you be expected to pay extra?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yea need to get a refund for non-delivery of goods and find a different jeweler.
Thats totaly unacceptable.
If he gives you a hard time on the refund contact your states attorney general office.

EE2000

Rough_Rock
Maybe I was a little unclear for some. The jeweler had a ring on his website that I liked (low mount with 1/2ct of princess cut sidestones). The price was listed at $975 for the ring in 18k White Gold. He said he was able to make the ring for $1400 in Platinum. I agree and paid him $1400 for platinum (plus the money for the diamond). When I initially mentioned to him that I received the wrong metal he offered to remake it but it would take some time (which isn''t too much of an option for me since the ring was already 2+ weeks later than he said), or a refund of $200.

Well I talked to the Jeweler yesterday and mentioned that $200 wasn''t the true difference in price and that I should receive a $400 refund. He said that his website is in the process of being updated and he was looking at the new prices when he figured out the refund. With ease, he agreed and said I will receive a check for $400 (so at least that was easy).

I plan on doing a review of this jeweler and I think some will be surprised who it is. I''m not doing a review to hurt their name, but just to share my experience.

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
So he DID overcharge you $400. I''m sure it was an honest mistake but I would tell him to keep the money and get the platinum ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results