shape
carat
color
clarity

White dot where culet should be

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed in a lot of diamonds I have looked at a white dot where the culet should be. I was assuming this was an abraided culet but looking in the Gary Roskin''s Diamond Grading Book although a white mark in culet area is description for an abraided culet in the write up page on culets, there is also a diamond grading photomaster on another page showing ''no culet'' and it states culet would be where white mark is but no note that it is abraided. Is this white mark just the shadow of the bottom pavillion facet edges or do they not meet up or is it infact an abraided culet.

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
This seems like a great questions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read Gary Roskins book again and notice that type of culet seems to be none,pointed,nil,small,medium,large but condition of culet is listed as natural,abraded,chipped or a combination of these. I hope one of the experts will confirm but I think what I saw in those diamonds were no culet or pointed culet with either natural or abraded condition.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you she restart this thread and title it "culet question" or "question regarding culet", you can contact the moderator to have this one closed though I don't know if that's necessary.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone help here?
4.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I'm trying, maybe you should give my suggestion a chance.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
White dot where the culet should be.
I think what you are talking about is in a very good photo in another thread "is a reflection a flaw". There is a huge photograph of a diamond and down around the culet is a, in this case, a large white spot. If you are looking at an actual diamond it is a very small white spot. That white spot is the reflection of the table. If you want to see how that works, set the diamond up in the microscope. Focus on the white spot with about 10 power and take a needle and run it around the table and you will see the point of the needle move around in the white spot. Table reflection.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Dimonbob. I see that white spot in the picture but it is not that I think it is where the facets at the bottom of the stone do not line up properly. I have seen it in 3 commercial grade stones and can only see it with a 10x loupe. Would it be that or is it called an abraded culet. It is definitely the same thing as shown in the Gary Roskin book in the section regarding culets but is just described as a "no culet" although on another page under condition it states abraded as a condition looks like a white dot.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pyramid

I lost my Gary Roskin book along with over 120 other gemological books in a flood a couple of years ago. I am still bummed about it. That is one of the books that I will reorder next week.
Yes, a chipped or abraided culet will also show up as a white spot.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dimonbob. Sorry to hear about all your books, hope you can replace them.

Is an abraded facet something to avoid, it is not chipped, and cannot be seen except with a loupe?

I don't know if it is abraded as it is only on one facet and seems as though that facet has been cut off short and polished with a diagonal line and then below this the white dot appears. Is it because the facets do not meet up at the culet or does this not happen. The thing is I saw it in three different stones. Maybe it is a reflection as I need to tilt the stone a bit to see it. It is so small that it is difficult to see for sure with the loupe.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
pyramid
The diagonal line sounds like the edge of an extra facet but if there are more diagonal lines they are polishing lines. Of course, you could have a diagonal drag line. That white dot could be an abraded culet or a small feather at the culet. If I could see it for a few seconds, I could tell you exactly what you are looking at but my crystal ball is out of order today

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Dimonbob. Yes I know if you could see it you would be able to say. Maybe I will ask those who are selling the stones but I doubt if they would know as it is just a jewelry store with sales assistants. I won't be buying there anyway so it does not really matter that much.

If a stone has an abraded culet is it something to avoid or is it just like an inclusion i.e. part of the clarity?

If it is a feather in the area of the culet - is this a common area for small feathers or crystals as I have seen it in 3 stones out of the 4 I was looking at?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Once a diamond is set, the culet is the least likely place to receive any damage. So if the feather, nick, natural or whatever is not visible without a 10x loupe, I would not worry about it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed in a lot of diamonds I have looked at a white dot where the culet should be. I was assuming this was an abraided culet but looking in the Gary Roskin's Diamond Grading Book although a white mark in culet area is description for an abraided culet in the write up page on culets, there is also a diamond grading photomaster on another page showing 'no culet' and it states culet would be where white mark is but no note that it is abraided. Is this white mark just the shadow of the bottom pavillion facet edges or do they not meet up or is it infact an abraided culet.

I have also seen 3 out of 4 diamonds with a mark in the centre of the culet which looks like the pavillion did not meet up but they did not polish a culet facet, why is this, is it because they left it as a natural? This must be very common if 3 out of 4 have this in the same shop.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results