shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you pick? Kinda-transitionals for a fun ring purchase.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I adore this. The setting looks so comfy to wear!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. Do you mind sharing your ring size? The stone looks huge and awesome on you and I just realized its .7 (I was assuming at least .9 from your pics)

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Ps. Do you mind sharing your ring size? The stone looks huge and awesome on you and I just realized its .7 (I was assuming at least .9 from your pics)

I'm a 6.5 -- this ring was made at 6.75 to accommodate stacking more comfortably. :) I puffy-heart-love this setting; it is WAY better made than I'd expected for the price.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Just leaving this here... While I'm on hold waiting to speak to a JA rep about returning it... I'm sad. It is so objectively excellent but I need shorter lower halves to be happy. :cry2: Someone looking for an insane deal on a white-white MRB (seriously WHERE is the tint?!) should keep an eye on the 0.7/J range on JA for when it comes back... 20210513_120147-COLLAGE.jpg

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Just leaving this here... While I'm on hold waiting to speak to a JA rep about returning it... I'm sad. It is so objectively excellent but I need shorter lower halves to be happy. :cry2: Someone looking for an insane deal on a white-white MRB (seriously WHERE is the tint?!) should keep an eye on the 0.7/J range on JA for when it comes back... 20210513_120147-COLLAGE.jpg

what did the stone cost?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh no, so sad :(

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
oh no, so sad :(

Well, not as sad as having a ring sit in the jewelry box because every time I wear it I wish it wasn't so MRB-esque. ;-) I am sad but someone will certainly, someday, buy and enjoy this stone. It totally stood out as a cheapie in their inventory, and I don't even know why except the cut grade isn't stellar (whatever, the in-person light performance is sweet) and it's a brown J? Not exactly sure.

Maybe I better just use the $2000 that will be refunded from this ring to reset my engagement diamond and go back to enjoying *it*!!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Too bad as both the ring and the diamond are stunning! I honestly initially much preferred some with more old cut patterns but your photos of the stone set blew me away. If you must return, do reset your Ering then though because it should definitely not sit in a drawer and it is gorgeous.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Gonna plop these here in case someone needs a color comparison between a GIA J/yellow (emerald) and a J/brown (round). It's a good illustration of how rounds and brown hide color, even though emeralds aren't the *worst*-offending fancy shape for color. PXL_20210513_205513576.jpg
PXL_20210513_205459058.jpg
PXL_20210513_205446821.jpg
PXL_20210513_205426224.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad as both the ring and the diamond are stunning! I honestly initially much preferred some with more old cut patterns but your photos of the stone set blew me away. If you must return, do reset your Ering then though because it should definitely not sit in a drawer and it is gorgeous.

Thanks -- I was a little surprised at the difference between the video of the J, where it looked more old-cut, and the in-person MRB-ness of it. I'm guessing this is because the JA video is, of course, ENORMOUS, and the in-person diamond is... not. :lol: The cut is awesome. But the only smart thing to try, based on what I don't like about this J, would've been to get that 0.77 I, since it has 60% lower halves (and not any of the others I was considering)... and I just am too skeptical that the cut will perform like I'm hoping.

So, give me a couple days to mourn :cry:, but maybe by then I'll be ready to start a thread planning the reset for my e-ring diamond. :mrgreen:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Each one of us are different in visual sensitivity. My eyes are extremely sensitive to color and cut. It is not just experience because it has been that way from the get go. But color does not bother me, I love warmer stones too though admittedly prefer whiter though not necessarily icy white.

With cut it is so hard because close up photos show off facet pattern so beautifully but sub carat stones will not show detectable facet pattern when worn. I still much prefer the light performance of a gorgeous 0.7 OEC I own to a 1.1 MRB and see a huge difference.

But yes if you are used to seeing the facet pattern on your much larger Ering stone and prefer it, then you have to go with what your heart wants.:)))

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I still much prefer the light performance of a gorgeous 0.7 OEC I own to a 1.1 MRB and see a huge difference.

I was considering trying a 1.3x ct lab-grown MRB as an alternative to this 0.7 natural diamond, and I am VERY glad I didn't, based on this! I had hoped that a larger MRB would "work", but it's good to hear based on your experience that that was probably not gonna happen. Phew. Now I can stop worrying about whether I made the right decision not to try another bigger stone from their inventory. :praise:

Sorry to hear you have to return it. Hope the right stone comes along ASAP!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@evergreen You picked a beauty, but I agree it doesn't really look like an OEC. :cry:

I wonder if you set your search filters for any cut other than excellent, you might find the unicorn that's there only because the Lowers are too short. GIA downgrades the cut of any MRB with Lowers less than 70%.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@evergreen You picked a beauty, but I agree it doesn't really look like an OEC. :cry:

I wonder if you set your search filters for any cut other than excellent, you might find the unicorn that's there only because the Lowers are too short. GIA downgrades the cut of any MRB with Lowers less than 70%.

Oh yeah, I liberalized them way down to "Good" which is the lowest JA allows. ;-) I suspect JA may avoid buying/listing stones with really short lowers, because I looked through as many as I could (no, really, I have looked at THOUSANDS of diamonds in the last couple of weeks) and only found that one 0.77 I/VS1 at 60%. Wish they would index by LGFs. ;-)

I found more shallow-OEC/transitional candidates on Blue Nile, but their setting selection is pretty limited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results