shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose? OEC or OMC?

weemie

Shiny_Rock
@weemie Don't want to rock the boat but I was just searching for Art Deco ring inspo and came across this ring. The center stone looks a tad deep but this finger coverage is so good...

Thank you, that is really beautiful! I really want to buy from somewhere local for such a big purchase, and again the buy back is a huge factor!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
The 1.8 seems to have crisper facets, but I can't be 100% sure with the pics and videos. hard to tell. I'd choose whichever has the more pleasing faceting. Which one does your heart tug you towards?

It definitely has more clear, crisp facets and is definitely the one I go to each time! It’s just the SI2 that’s holding me back!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
In this first close up photo your 1.8ct appears to me to be more cushion shaped than round. I guess you could make a stretch and call it an out of round OEC, but I think GIA might call it an OMC. It seems to have the typical OMC pin wheel pattern under the table.

I prefer a more transitional flower petal pattern, but lots of ladies prefer this OMC type pattern. It really come down to what you like the best. It can take some time to learn, and be able to recognize the different patterns. If you are not sure what pattern you prefer, then it might be worth waiting until you do know for certain before committing a lot of money.

Thank you! I think I’m leaning towards the 1.8, at this stage in my life I feel it’s what would make me happier, and I could use it to upgrade in the same place once I can afford it. I did put down a deposit, rashly I feel now!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Before opening the thread I read the title and thought OEC. But the OMC has nicer facets than I was expecting. You are good to go either way. Come back and post more pics no matter what you decide. :cool2:

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Before opening the thread I read the title and thought OEC. But the OMC has nicer facets than I was expecting. You are good to go either way. Come back and post more pics no matter what you decide. :cool2:

Thank you so much! I actually can’t wait to see them on my hand properly, that’s really going to help me decide! The sparkle of the 1.6 is stunning, while the finger spread of the other is fabulous!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I will be the dissenting opinion here subjectively as the 1.8 seems to have better performance than the 1.6 which seems to be mushier. Subjective here is crucial as I am writing this as a collector/owner of antique diamonds. The photos / videos are not good enough to tell much upon though.

Neither of these is an OEC. Most definitely not, I thought you were calling the 1.8 an OMC. They both lean more towards that with the 1.8 being closer to a true OMC and the 1.6 towards an antique cushion. That one has a pretty shape but seems quite shallow with a very pretty albeit to my taste almost too delicate setting. Take into account that much of this is subjective.

Just like what we each prefer. I am an OMC fan rather than OEC. But I have seen OECs that are TDF. I do not own such a stone yet and my opinion could very well chance once I will.

That said the main point is that this thread is extremely confusing me because I could not figure out which stone you were calling an OEC. No flower pattern here at all.

Buy what you like. SI2 we
Have to see a plot. Is it a safe feather? Most likely you are ok and if it does not affect safety or transparency you should be fine but we would need to see very sharp quality images though.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I will be the dissenting opinion here subjectively as the 1.8 seems to have better performance than the 1.6 which seems to be mushier. Subjective here is crucial as I am writing this as a collector/owner of antique diamonds. The photos / videos are not good enough to tell much upon though.

Neither of these is an OEC. Most definitely not, I thought you were calling the 1.8 an OMC. They both lean more towards that with the 1.8 being closer to a true OMC and the 1.6 towards an antique cushion. That one has a pretty shape but seems quite shallow with a very pretty albeit to my taste almost too delicate setting. Take into account that much of this is subjective.

Just like what we each prefer. I am an OMC fan rather than OEC. But I have seen OECs that are TDF. I do not own such a stone yet and my opinion could very well chance once I will.

That said the main point is that this thread is extremely confusing me because I could not figure out which stone you were calling an OEC. No flower pattern here at all.

Buy what you like. SI2 we
Have to see a plot. Is it a safe feather? Most likely you are ok and if it does not affect safety or transparency you should be fine but we would need to see very sharp quality images though.

I’m so sorry I’m completely at fault here, I made an assumption on the cut of the bigger one as it looks so different from the other! It’s true I am favouring the 1.8, I really appreciate all the help! The jeweller assured me it is safe, and it is minuscule. I can return and swap for the more expensive, but I can’t get a refund if I opt for the 1.6. They have so many amazing rings, I will definitely be back when I want to upgrade!

Last edited:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to know where this jeweler is so I can go drool over such lovely antique stones.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I just want to know where this jeweler is so I can go drool over such lovely antique stones.

It’s a gem alright! I’ll keep quiet for now as they were doing me a favour by letting me see both, but once it’s all done I’ll share! To be honest the honesty and directness of the owner is really helping, they really make the experience!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like the chunkier facets on the 1.8. The 1.6 seems a little bit crushed ice in the center.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a gem alright! I’ll keep quiet for now as they were doing me a favour by letting me see both, but once it’s all done I’ll share! To be honest the honesty and directness of the owner is really helping, they really make the experience!

Good local, bricks and mortars are priceless. Love our online suppliers, but sometimes you need a local repair or help. Good to know you’ve got a great one.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I like the chunkier facets on the 1.8. The 1.6 seems a little bit crushed ice in the center.

This! That’s what I was trying to put into words, thank you! It’s mushy in the centre.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Good local, bricks and mortars are priceless. Love our online suppliers, but sometimes you need a local repair or help. Good to know you’ve got a great one.

You’re so right, I’ve always gotten online and have been very lucky. However the reassurance is something else and word of mouth is very important to them as they are so local!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Have you been in person to see them yet?

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 1.8 is the one you'd originally been drawn to right? Add that it is considerably larger AND cheaper, I think you have your answer. Clarity designations don't matter once they are on your hand. Unless it detracts from your appreciation of the stone, or there is a stability issue, VS and SI are just words on a paper. They are very different flavors of old cut so I can see why you are hesitating. Knowing you can trade/upgrade etc later is reassuring, even if you never use it, having that option is nice.

Edit: just saw your post. Yay! The cleaner facets on the 1.8 are my preference too!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
The 1.8 is the one you'd originally been drawn to right? Add that it is considerably larger AND cheaper, I think you have your answer. Clarity designations don't matter once they are on your hand. Unless it detracts from your appreciation of the stone, or there is a stability issue, VS and SI are just words on a paper. They are very different flavors of old cut so I can see why you are hesitating. Knowing you can trade/upgrade etc later is reassuring, even if you never use it, having that option is nice.

Edit: just saw your post. Yay! The cleaner facets on the 1.8 are my preference too!

Yes! It’s actually why I even decided to go see any! I won’t get to go back for a few weeks at least but I think once I see them on me properly it will all become clear!! I do feel that the facets have got me hooked, there are less than the 1.6 but it seems more elegant and not as sloppy?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and they were amazing! I could see how the 1.6 was a better stone, but I preferred the 1.8 with the coverage and facets being more defined! But I’m no expert and really wanted help making the right decision!

Old cuts are not going to have the fierce and perfect geometry of a modern stone. They are so much more charming and you buy what you love. There is no right or wrong answer here. Not sure how much you have researched these old cushion cuts, but they were made before there were diamond saws. They literally ground down each and every angle. Often times the actual crystal shape was left intact. I have a wonky, leaky antique old mine cut and I love it for it's history and the fact it is over 100 years old. I am not the first woman who will love it and won't be the last. I love the continuity of that thought.

I'm happy for you. Either way you go, you get to protect and love a very old diamond.

Last edited:

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Old cuts are not going to have the fierce and perfect geometry of a modern stone. They are so much more charming and you buy what you love. There is no right or wrong answer here. Not sure how much you have researched these old cushion cuts, but they were made before there were diamond saws. They literally ground down each and every angle. Often times the actual crystal shape was left intact. I have a wonky, leaky antique old mine cut and I love it for it's history and the fact it is over 100 years old. I am not the first woman who will love it and won't be the last. I love the continuity of that thought.

I'm happy for you. Either way you go, you get to protect and love a very old diamond.

I love the way you have put this, it’s so beautiful. I feel very privileged to be able to get either ring, as it’s a big deal for me. I can’t wait to have one on my finger, and thank you all for all your help!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@weemie come back with pictures! We love to see old stones.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Attachments

• BCBFFBEC-96A4-42AB-ADCE-CEDE67AF5EED.jpeg
    BCBFFBEC-96A4-42AB-ADCE-CEDE67AF5EED.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 9
  • AA4C67BD-3C3B-405C-9A86-E18AAA1F8202.jpeg
    AA4C67BD-3C3B-405C-9A86-E18AAA1F8202.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Figured it was worth a check out before you finalize a ring!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Attachments

• 755F89E3-3E39-4D22-BE2F-0D49449B5B11.png
    755F89E3-3E39-4D22-BE2F-0D49449B5B11.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 6

weemie

Shiny_Rock
0DCED42E-2EBB-4904-8731-6DE52B3EC29D.png

@weemie how did you make out?

Oh they’re so lovely! The first ring was beautiful but smaller than I was looking for at 1.1 carats. They are so nice in there! The other two original rings I’ve done a complete turn, I actually think I’m going to go for the 1.6 :shock::shock::shock:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
So no contenders at JW Weldon?

Did you get to try on the 1.6 and 1.8? What about the 1.6 is calling to you?

weemie

Shiny_Rock
So no contenders at JW Weldon?

Did you get to try on the 1.6 and 1.8? What about the 1.6 is calling to you?

I haven’t been to see them again, but the sparkle is weighing in! JW Weldon is just a bit out of my price range, there was one in the same size bracket but it was €4000 more. He did say he’d keep an eye out though! I asked about those two beauties and they were .68 and .71 respectively!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results