shape
carat
color
clarity

Which way do I go? Specs on two stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dead Tired

Rough_Rock
I want to make sure I'm making a good decision. I've pared my choices down to two comparable stones (at least they appear so to me). The first diamond is a 1.64 carat, H, VS1, 6.75 x 6.05 x 4.79, 79.2% depth, 77% table, girdle medium to thick, polish very good, symmetry good. The second is a 1.65 carat, H, VS2, 6.52 x 6.43 x 4.81, 74.8% depth, 71% table, girdle thick, polish very good, symmetry good. Neither stone has any flourescence, and both have GIA certs. The price for the first stone is $6900.00 and the second is $7000.00. Although I know that there is no "ideal" cut for a princess diamond, I have run across some charts that put the second stone, (based upon depth and table percentages etc.) in a higher category. I am leaning toward the second stone because I personally prefer its squarer shape. Do its dimensions and girdle thickness make it a "lumpy" stone? Are the charts I have seen (used by AGA) accepted as accurate? Are there specific types of inclusions I should stay away from? How does one determine "crown height %" if the GIA reports do not list it? And finally, have I negotiated decent prices for these diamonds, and which would you choose?
Thanks For Your Time,
Dead Tired:knockout:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
----------------
>>>>>I am leaning toward the second stone because I personally prefer its squarer shape.----------------

Me too. I like your judgement.

----------------
>>>>>Do its dimensions and girdle thickness make it a "lumpy" stone?----------------

No. It's very common for princess cut stones to have these dimensions, and look stunning. It would be nice to know the crown height and pavilion depth percentages. Can you request them from the seller. Perhaps a Sarin report, or gemologist's assessment?

----------------
>>>>>Are the charts I have seen (used by AGA) accepted as accurate?----------------

Yes. Definitely helpful charts. Help to create order out of chaos.

----------------
>>>>>Are there specific types of inclusions I should stay away from?----------------

White inclusions are usually better than black (less visible), and internal inclusions are preferred to surface breaking inclusions (such as feather cleavages which break the surface, particularly a feather which breaks the surface in both the crown (girdle) and pavilion areas.

---------------
>>>>>How does one determine "crown height %" if the GIA reports do not list it?---------------

You have to ask for a Sarin report, or a gemologist's assessment of crown height and pavilion depth. It's not asking too much to know these two figures, especially when laying out thousands of dollars. If the seller won't give them to you, ask him for a 48 hour period in which to have the stones checked out by an independent gemologist. Most reasonable jewelers will allow this. If he doesn't, blow him off.

---------------
And finally, have I negotiated decent prices for these diamonds, and which would you choose?
---------------

I favor the 1.65 H/VS2. Excellent prices you've negotiated. But with confidence, if the stone "talks to you". Otherwise, trust your instincts. Diamonds are works of art. You are as good a judge of beauty as anyone. Just focus, and be bold.

---------------
Thanks For Your Time, Dead Tired
---------------

You're welcome. A lot tougher than buying a car, eh?

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Dead Tired

Rough_Rock
Thanks Richard,
I'll call for the Sarin Report, or gemologist's assessment today. If they do not have a Sarin Report or assessment, and they agree to let me have the stone looked at by an independent gemologist, can you or anyone recommend an independent gemologist in Chicago? Also, can this gemologist provide a monetary appraisal of the stone, or do I need to go to someone who specializes in appraisals?
Thanks Again,
Dead Tired:knockout:

Dead Tired

Rough_Rock
Hi Again Richard, and anyone else, for that matter. Sorry to bother, but I recieved a report on the second princess-cut stone that included crown height and pavil. depth, etc. (stats below), but I have some concerns about some other numbers in this report and how they match up to those on the GIA cert. Here's the Gia:

1.65 Carat, H, VS2
6.52 x 6.43 x 4.81
74.8% Depth
71% Table
Thick Girdle
Very Good Polish
Good Symmetry
No Flourescence

Now here are the stats from the second report:

1.662 Carat
6.39 x 6.49 x 4.81
75.2% Total Depth
71.9% Table Size
4.4% Girdle Thickness
42.8 Crown Angle
11.1% Crown Height
57.1% Pavil. Angle
%59.8 Pavil. Depth

I'm freaked out by the differences in these two reports. Could both really be for the same stone? How do the numbers on the second report look?
Thanks In Advance,
Dead Tired
:errrr:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like the same stone. The measurements are all a tiny bit difference, but paint the same picture of the stone. The weight being a point off is probably due to scale calibration being slightly off on one machine.

Remember, those millimeter measurements are reporting to the hundredths of mm. Very minute measurement, with differences easily seen by measuring at slightly different points on the stone, not too mention slight calibration differences.

Rich

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One nice thing about a GIA report is that the inclusions and characteristics of the stone are plotted on a diagram. This is one definitive way to ID the stone, along with several other measurements and characteristics.

Once you arrive at your final decision, just make sure you've got a period of time in which to have the stone checked out, along with a money back guarantee FOR ANY REASON. A reasonable vendor will agree to this.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results