shape
carat
color
clarity

Which type of cut required the most amount of time and skill?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! There are quite a number of cuts for colored stones. I was wondering which type of cut is the most challenging for a gem cutter? Which cut requires more time and precision? tks!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not a cutter, so...

The fancy cuts that are featured on exhibitions and cutting contests can take many, many hours to complete. These are not commercial cuts (and it would be very hard for it be commercially feasible outside a very rarefied collector world).

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I nominate Richard Homer''s 21 culet round concave geodesic. He writes that this 40.65 ct amethyst is an: "Award-winning design; THE most difficult design I have ever created...stunning gemstone; 21 culets!"

amy2546.JPG

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
WoW
6.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2009 10:19:59 PM
Author: chictomato
WoW
6.gif
Yep. RH is a precision cutter extraordinaire. I have pictures of more of his amazing cuts here. Link

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve heard that rounds are the easiest and fastest. Per Gene, of all the "standard" shapes, the asscher is one of the most time consuming. I would think that the more complicated the design (lots of facets or something more fancy), the more skill and time is needed. John Dyer''s cutting is very unique and probably requires high level skill.John Dyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results