shape
carat
color
clarity

Which tsavorite color?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
It has this bluish color that resembles me of tsavs from a new fund. I just do not understand if this is one from you pictures or a different one... It looks like nr A.
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,262
crasru|1312408024|2983442 said:
It has this bluish color that resembles me of tsavs from a new fund. I just do not understand if this is one from you pictures or a different one... It looks like nr A.

Crasru, she stated that they are the vendor pics. I believe she's still waiting for the stone.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
crasru|1312408024|2983442 said:
It has this bluish color that resembles me of tsavs from a new fund. I just do not understand if this is one from you pictures or a different one... It looks like nr A.
These pictures are from a person that I bought the stone from. I bought the stone on the site which shall not be named. The first one is the vendor picture, but I am not sure who the original vendor was.
 

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,823
Chrono|1312373235|2983004 said:
Ideal colour is a little open ended - it could mean trade desired ideal or your personal ideal colour which could be very different. Personally, I prefer a medium toned slightly bluish green. Medium dark has a tendency to end up too dark under poor lighting conditions although I wouldn't turn one down. :bigsmile: The stone you posted has a touch of blue. The saturation is on the light side too but the price is good for what it is. The window will definitely rarely seen once set; it's really quite small.

It sounds like you've been handling the darks, not the medium-darks.
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
athenaworth|1312408652|2983453 said:
crasru|1312408024|2983442 said:
It has this bluish color that resembles me of tsavs from a new fund. I just do not understand if this is one from you pictures or a different one... It looks like nr A.
These pictures are from a person that I bought the stone from. I bought the stone on the site which shall not be named. The first one is the vendor picture, but I am not sure who the original vendor was.

"The site that dares not speak its name..." Is it the usual site? Or a different one? Just for my own interest.
 

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Messages
19,456
crasru|1312428484|2983747 said:
athenaworth|1312408652|2983453 said:
crasru|1312408024|2983442 said:
It has this bluish color that resembles me of tsavs from a new fund. I just do not understand if this is one from you pictures or a different one... It looks like nr A.
These pictures are from a person that I bought the stone from. I bought the stone on the site which shall not be named. The first one is the vendor picture, but I am not sure who the original vendor was.

"The site that dares not speak its name..." Is it the usual site? Or a different one? Just for my own interest.
DB
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
Thank you, Freke.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
[It sounds like you've been handling the darks, not the medium-darks.[/quote]

Harriet,
I wish that were truly the case. I memo-ed 4 medium darks at the same time and as soon as I received a medium toned tsavorite, I knew that was the tone I was looking for. It's not that they closed up under low lighting but they were too dark for my personal enjoyment. I'm very sure many people (and the trade) would love them though.
 

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,823
To each his own. The MDs are admittedly an acquired taste.
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,262
Rats, someone outbid me on the heart tsavorite. I thought I had it in the bag then someone swooped in at the last minute. :angryfire:
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
platinumrock|1312478186|2984118 said:
Rats, someone outbid me on the heart tsavorite. I thought I had it in the bag then someone swooped in at the last minute. :angryfire:
Grrrrrrr! I hate that!!

I have to wait another day to get my tsavorite. The seller said she'd send it Wednesday and just told me that she sent it today. What blows is that I'm leaving for the weekend. I was REALLY hoping for a pleasant USPS surprise today.
 

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
5,537
My fault. I was supposed to help her with the mailing process and I was sick yesterday. :(sad
 

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Messages
10,614
Jeez Uppy don't you know you can't be sick when there are gems laying around all lonesome for their new homes? :rodent:
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
Upgradable|1312484956|2984223 said:
My fault. I was supposed to help her with the mailing process and I was sick yesterday. :(sad
Totally no problem. I was just antsy. Happens every time.
 

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2011
Messages
1,041
Atheneworth,

I am new to the colored stone forum so I don't know anything about tsavorite, but congratulations on your new stone. I was wondering if you know where the setting came from that you put up on the Show me your Mahenge thread? I am attaching a copy here. (Sorry to jump in on your thread) il_fullxfull.234479104.jpg
 

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
3,296
momofive said:
Atheneworth,

I am new to the colored stone forum so I don't know anything about tsavorite, but congratulations on your new stone. I was wondering if you know where the setting came from that you put up on the Show me your Mahenge thread? I am attaching a copy here. (Sorry to jump in on your thread)

I believe that setting is from Sally at HeartofWaterJewels on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/people/HeartofWaterJewels?ref=pr_profile

Athenaworth, correct me if I'm wrong...
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
stargurl78|1312492505|2984328 said:
momofive said:
Atheneworth,

I am new to the colored stone forum so I don't know anything about tsavorite, but congratulations on your new stone. I was wondering if you know where the setting came from that you put up on the Show me your Mahenge thread? I am attaching a copy here. (Sorry to jump in on your thread)

I believe that setting is from Sally at HeartofWaterJewels on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/people/HeartofWaterJewels?ref=pr_profile

Athenaworth, correct me if I'm wrong...
You got it! Isn't it amazing!?
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,262
athenaworth|1312481038|2984167 said:
platinumrock|1312478186|2984118 said:
Rats, someone outbid me on the heart tsavorite. I thought I had it in the bag then someone swooped in at the last minute. :angryfire:
Grrrrrrr! I hate that!!

I have to wait another day to get my tsavorite. The seller said she'd send it Wednesday and just told me that she sent it today. What blows is that I'm leaving for the weekend. I was REALLY hoping for a pleasant USPS surprise today.

I know, I was so bummed!!

And I HATE having to waste a whole weekend waiting for a package when I could have been playing with the stone or wearing the ring. Don't you wish there was a FF button?? :evil:
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
platinumrock|1312495251|2984358 said:
athenaworth|1312481038|2984167 said:
platinumrock|1312478186|2984118 said:
Rats, someone outbid me on the heart tsavorite. I thought I had it in the bag then someone swooped in at the last minute. :angryfire:
Grrrrrrr! I hate that!!

I have to wait another day to get my tsavorite. The seller said she'd send it Wednesday and just told me that she sent it today. What blows is that I'm leaving for the weekend. I was REALLY hoping for a pleasant USPS surprise today.

I know, I was so bummed!!

And I HATE having to waste a whole weekend waiting for a package when I could have been playing with the stone or wearing the ring. Don't you wish there was a FF button?? :evil:
I was already planning on setting it on Monday. I guess that's confidence.
 

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
9,613
Chrono|1312459775|2983935 said:
[It sounds like you've been handling the darks, not the medium-darks.

Harriet,
I wish that were truly the case. I memo-ed 4 medium darks at the same time and as soon as I received a medium toned tsavorite, I knew that was the tone I was looking for. It's not that they closed up under low lighting but they were too dark for my personal enjoyment. I'm very sure many people (and the trade) would love them though.[/quote]

Just my opinion, but owning both fine medium-darks and fine mediums I almost see them as two completely different beasts and can see why people tend to like one or other better. Strangely I haven't found such a difference between tones with other stones where I see them almost like different species.

To me it seems like you get more changes in personality of the stone with the mds - my e-ring stone is a pure bright emerald green with blue tones in daylight, a forest green with neon green flashes in downlighters and a very deep dark green - never black - with bright green areas in ordinary incandescent.

My mediums look almost venomous in daylight and remain a good green in lowlight but perhaps with less depth about them but more of an all-round really green and bright gemstone.

When I put the two next to each other I'm definitely more drawn to the medium darks but I totally get why many people would opt for the mediums if they had to choose. I might choose mediums for a pendant or earrings though as they tend to get less light falling on them than a ring and it would pop more...
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,725
What a steal! I can't wait to see your setting.
 

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
2,262
athenaworth|1312498227|2984381 said:
platinumrock|1312495251|2984358 said:
athenaworth|1312481038|2984167 said:
platinumrock|1312478186|2984118 said:
Rats, someone outbid me on the heart tsavorite. I thought I had it in the bag then someone swooped in at the last minute. :angryfire:
Grrrrrrr! I hate that!!

I have to wait another day to get my tsavorite. The seller said she'd send it Wednesday and just told me that she sent it today. What blows is that I'm leaving for the weekend. I was REALLY hoping for a pleasant USPS surprise today.

I know, I was so bummed!!

And I HATE having to waste a whole weekend waiting for a package when I could have been playing with the stone or wearing the ring. Don't you wish there was a FF button?? :evil:
I was already planning on setting it on Monday. I guess that's confidence.

What setting did you come up with?

Packrat, I just saw your post. :lol:

Uppy, hope you feel better.
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
Re. the discussion about the most desirable color in the tsavorites. I am not a renowned connoisseur like Chrono, Harriet or Pandora. Yet I decided to venture an idea that hit me today - tell me if I am right or wrong.

I was looking at my new spinel ring. And suddenly realized that it made no difference whether the color was "right" or wrong for Mahenges. It is a good color, for one reason: it has this neon-like quality.

There are some stones which can have it. And it usually comes with tones that are not too dark. Demantoids that are lighter, a little bit yellowish-green, Mahenges that are not "new material", some spessartites, lighter tsavorites, Paraibas ... what else?

This may be the reason why Burmese rubies are so prized - their fluorescence gives them a little bit of neon quality, usually in bright sun, not indoors, but you can see it in some lights. I do not know about emeralds, but slightly lighter colored ones seem to produce this effect, when darker ones lose it.

In stones that can not be "neon", like sapphires or tanzanites or probably rhodolites, other factors some into play. Such as "velvety" quality of best sapphires, for example, or blue color of tanzanites as opposed to purple.

So with tsavorites, it probably depends on individual preferences. Darker tones may give you a little bit of warmer, slightly velvet, feelings, while lighter tones sometimes have "neon" color. Really, it depends on what one is looking for.

So technically, the tone may be "wrong" or "not what the trade prefers", and yet one would buy it and everyone would love it because "neon" would be there, or it may be "perfectly right" and yet something may feel amiss (only to certain people). Of course, you do not expect to see this "neon" in all lights, and it does not necessarily come with fluorescence, but something causes it.

I shall make a thread about some of my stones that have it. My photos are not good, one of my cameras has poor color balance and the Droid takes pictures that have a "pinkish" shift when you email them, but it does not, really, matter, I just want to prove a certain point and you can agree or disagree with me.
 

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
12,823
Crasru,
Tone itself does not make a stone look "neon." Saturation is an important factor. While it is true that a medium-dark tsavorite will not always appear "neon," neither do plenty of the mediums.
 

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jun 19, 2010
Messages
3,598
Finally back from my mini-trip. I got my tsav. It's definitely MY kind of tsav, but it's pretty small. The price makes it even prettier to me, though.

photo.JPG
 

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 3, 2009
Messages
7,589
The color is fantastic
 

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
2,877
athenaworth|1312783498|2986278 said:
Finally back from my mini-trip. I got my tsav. It's definitely MY kind of tsav, but it's pretty small. The price makes it even prettier to me, though.

Wow!! :love: Gorgeous Color!!!!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
That looks like a keeper from that photograph!

Pandora,
Your description of a medium toned and medium dark toned tsavorite of high saturation is spot on with my opinion.

Crasru,
It is the saturation that gives the neon-ness of colour, not the tone. However, to think of the saturation (vividness of colour) as totally independent of the tone is also incorrect. If so, then it'll be easier to breakdown colour as a much simpler subject but unfortunately, that is not the case. Tone and saturation are tied together somewhat when it comes to the neon-ness of colour. Tone is a measure of lightness or darkness of colour (amount of light absorbed). At maximum saturation, some colours will appear to be darker than others, depending on the hue. As saturation increases, tone increases as well since light is absorbed until it reaches a point where further increase in tone then causes the saturation to appear to decrease as the stone becomes too dark.

I do agree that fluorescence adds a boost to the saturation when viewed outdoors.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
25,225
Crasru,
Yes, what Chrono said about tone/saturation is correct. If a stone is too light or dark in tone, it will not have good saturation. I tend to stick to the medium light, medium and medium dark tones, as the best saturation levels are found in that range.
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top