color
clarity

Which to go for: mahenge or blue tourm?

Red(ish) Mahenge or blue tourm now?

• Mahenge first!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Go for the tourmaline.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Why not search for both at once and get the first great one you find?

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dito on the third.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, okay. IF the photos are representative of the stones in hand (that's going to be my new equivacatory intro to everything now that there is so much discussion of not judging stones by their photos, lol), this is what I see:

First: looks less saturated and greenish. While it is pretty, it reminds me of one of the first Big Purchase stones I bought in my never ending search for the perfect color. Where is it now? It sits in a ring that I never wear because I don't adore the stone. :(sad

Second: I like the openness of the color - it seems to be the brightest and most saturated to me, but I don't know if that's a manifestation of bright lighting or really the color of the stone. Plus, you have already acknowledged the window...it does look like it would sparkle though :praise:

Third: I should like this one best but I don't, partly because I can't really understand that photograph if that makes any sense. The color appears to be almost as good as the second one, but I can't get over the extinction in the stone.

Imo, you have done well by looking at these, but unless you are dying to get some experience seeing stones in hand with the intention of returning them if you don't absolutely love them, I would pass. To borrow a famous quote "I know AJ's stone and these are no AJ's stone!" :lol:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="DecoDaze|] Champagne tastes on a beer budget...[/quote]

That's my line! But my budget is diet coke :wall: (Kidding...I know I am very lucky to be able to afford all I have).

Agree with the votes here. Although, I was late to the mahenge market and paid what I thought was too much at the time, I have no regrets that I bought when I did as they seem to be going up up up. If your plan is to buy one now and possibly the other in a year or two, I'd focus on the mahenge. However, if you find the tourmaline that says "OMG...I gotta have this stone!!", you should buy it. Don't kick yourself when you can't find it later. So in the end I voted to keep your options open. Excited to see what you find and decide :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second very much but the third - no question! A wonderful stone!! So I would choose the third too.

I bought many Mahenge from Tan - good old ( cheap - Hi TL!!!) material!!
An eyeclean oval around 1 ct with a super color but next to my 0,90 ct neon pink Mahenge you will see the difference.
In a pic they look both really great. So a premium price pct only for real neon pink or red material.

Hope you are successful!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I hope the gemfix mahenge meets your expectations, very promising. The third blue is gorgeous.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Minou's opinions with the same caveats:
1. Sort of dark, sort of gray and not enough blue
2. Not sure about the light conditions due to the white background, which provides almost no colour reference, so could be gorgeous but...
3. Looks to be the best of the selection, cut and colour-wise, but I agree that his photography style is difficult to read

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it's not 8 mm and it's a "girly" shape BUT it is only ever so slightly above your budget, close to the 2 ct mark, one of the nicest pink red I've seen in a while with the potential to be very neon. I'm not going to post the picture because it's a dead giveaway but let me know if you are interested. Saw this whilst looking for a padparadscha for another poster.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, I'm definitely interested in the Mahenge you found. Should I message you through LT or DB?

I heard from Prima. They've recommended a few stones for me; I'm going to take a look on their website in a minute. They can get me additional photos tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions about the tourms. And Minousbijoux and Chrono, I appreciate your detailed opinions. That was pretty much what I thought, and it's nice to get confirmation that my photo-reading skills are improving. :bigsmile: I'm inquiring about the third one; I'd like to see it in person--and would love to compare it IRL to stone #2--trying to decide how much $$ I can have temporarily out while I choose a stone. :halo:

Lovinggems, thanks! I hope so, too! (Though if it does this may have been the easiest Mahenge search ever--a little anticlimactic! :lol: )

Marlow, thanks, I will hold out for neon!

lilmosun, I agree with your approach. Thinking of the market, the Mahenge makes more sense, but I think the tourm will be harder to find than I first anticipated, so I will get it if I find The One. :bigsmile:

NKOTB, what can I say? They're simply the best colors! :lol: Swala does have some nice eye candy, though I have some trouble interpreting their photos. :o

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1433349866|3884641 said:
Chrono, I'm definitely interested in the Mahenge you found. Should I message you through LT or DB?
I'm on DB but haven't logged in in years so I'm not sure I even remember my password. :lol: If you are online, we can discuss it here now. It's a heart. Is that okay?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Chrono|1433350054|3884644 said:
I'm on DB but haven't logged in in years so I'm not sure I even remember my password. :lol: If you are online, we can discuss it here now. It's a heart. Is that okay?

A friendly reminder that if it's something personally for sale we don't allow discussion on the forum.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1433350054|3884644 said:

I am indeed online. Heart is not my favorite shape.... but I could work with it. Color is my priority here. :bigsmile:

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
[quote="Ella

A friendly reminder that if it's something personally for sale we don't allow discussion on the forum.[/quote]

Of course, Ella--I gathered that this was a stone Chrono ran across in a search for something else, and she didn't want to post so that it wouldn't get snapped up before I had a chance to see it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1433350502|3884649 said:
A friendly reminder that if it's something personally for sale we don't allow discussion on the forum.

Ella,
I wish the stone is mine but no, it's a stone I saw elsewhere whilst looking for padparadschas for another poster. It is sad that we have to resort to this nefarious sounding backdoor discussion due to the increase of stone snatchers the past few years.

Holy Grail colour + good price = moral values of lurkers goes out the door. :rolleyes:

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html
Third one down on the far right on my screen (3 stones displayed across the page)
Mahenge Spinel "Portuguese" Style Heart
Weight: 1.76cts
Measurements: 8.1x6.9mm, depth 4.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Mahenge, Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2640.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_357
Description: Flashy and sparkly Mahenge spinel heart. Gorgeous red-pink color with lots of fire. Well cut and eye clean. A beauty! (American cutting). Closest Pantone Color Card: 206C is close

spinel_357_0.jpg

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1433350994|3884656 said:
Ella|1433350502|3884649 said:

Ella,
I wish the stone is mine but no, it's a stone I saw elsewhere whilst looking for padparadschas for another poster. It is sad that we have to resort to this nefarious sounding backdoor discussion due to the increase of stone snatchers the past few years.

Holy Grail colour + good price = moral values of lurkers goes out the door. :rolleyes:

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html
Third one down on the far right on my screen (3 stones displayed across the page)
Mahenge Spinel "Portuguese" Style Heart
Weight: 1.76cts
Measurements: 8.1x6.9mm, depth 4.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Mahenge, Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 2640.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_357
Description: Flashy and sparkly Mahenge spinel heart. Gorgeous red-pink color with lots of fire. Well cut and eye clean. A beauty! (American cutting). Closest Pantone Color Card: 206C is close

Thanks, Chrono! I did speak with Laura before ordering #333, and she said that it (#333) was the reddest and most neon stone they had (in my price range). (ish.) How much weight do you suppose I should give to that? That is, the heart definitely looks redder, but perhaps Laura would have said if it was neon? And it's so much less than 333--could that be primarily bc of the shape?

Thanks again... truly appreciate your wisdom here. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....best to ask Laura these questions. I do know that "odd" shapes are sometimes discounted slightly, although there are lapidaries who like trilliants, which aren't popular.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Will do, Chrono. ;))

Update: I talked to Prima again. They're going to send out all three stones that they recommended for me to look at (and only charge the most expensive one on my card). Woot! :dance: I should get them on Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to do comparisons.

I also talked to the vendor of the third blue tourmaline above. He was super helpful and friendly, and quoted me a price of $19,500! :-o So that one is definitely out of my budget. But I have to say, it was absolutely lovely talking to him. The tourm comes from Mozambique and he said the color is phenomenal. That particular stone is 3.48ct; I asked if they have anything smaller from the same run, and he said that they did, but none of the smaller stones could compare in color. Specifically that the smaller stones were more like what we are used to seeing in indicolite--pretty, but less saturated/with a gray cast. But he's going to keep me posted. :halo:

So Minousbijoux, maybe, just maybe, it's an AJ stone. But I suppose it doesn't matter, at that price point. :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

DecoDaze, do you have pictures or stats (or both?!) of what you're receiving from Prima?

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver, of course! :doh: These ones:

1. The reddest option. She said it's 55% pink, 30% red, and 15% orange, and "vibrant as can be."

2. Not as red as the first, but a "great neon color." 80% pink and 20% red.

3. Forgoing red, but perfect neon color, specifically "This is a prime example of everything a spinel should be. It is a show stopping color with an undeniable neon glow." 90% pink and 10% red.

The first two come in under budget, but the third is over budget (but doable, if my reaction to it is :love:). Preliminary thoughts? :bigsmile:

spinel_1.png

spinel_2.png

spinel_3.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1433357291|3884699 said:
SparkliesLuver, of course! :doh: These ones:

1. The reddest option. She said it's 55% pink, 30% red, and 15% orange, and "vibrant as can be."

2. Not as red as the first, but a "great neon color." 80% pink and 20% red.

3. Forgoing red, but perfect neon color, specifically "This is a prime example of everything a spinel should be. It is a show stopping color with an undeniable neon glow." 90% pink and 10% red.

The first two come in under budget, but the third is over budget (but doable, if my reaction to it is :love:). Preliminary thoughts? :bigsmile:

None of these are highly saturated if the photos are accurate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would forgo red to get that neon glow. Ask Jaimeen for better pictures.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just wait to see them in person. In my experience, their pics don't really do their gems justice at all. I think you'll know pretty quickly if you have a few in front of you, which one screams at you, if any.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1433358721|3884704 said:
I would forgo red to get that neon glow. Ask Jaimeen for better pictures.

Will definitely forgo red for neon. My priorities are 1. neon/saturated, 2. red, 3. size, 4. shape.

NKOTB said:
I would just wait to see them in person. In my experience, their pics don't really do their gems justice at all. I think you'll know pretty quickly if you have a few in front of you, which one screams at you, if any.

Thanks, NKOTB. That's what I'm going to do--especially since I have the gemfix stone coming already and they have a shorter inspection period. I wanted to get the Prima stones in hand ASAP, and I'm just trusting their advice about which ones are best for my requirements. In my (limited) experience with other gems, seeing them in person is crucial, and this way I'll start out with four to compare! :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on number 3. What an amazing blue!!

And coming back to your original question: I would keep the options open and choose the one you really fall in love with 8-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. 3 for me too.

DK :love:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Thank you for clarifying. Carry on. :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1433355058|3884682 said:
Will do, Chrono. ;))

Update: I talked to Prima again. They're going to send out all three stones that they recommended for me to look at (and only charge the most expensive one on my card). Woot! :dance: I should get them on Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to do comparisons.

I also talked to the vendor of the third blue tourmaline above. He was super helpful and friendly, and quoted me a price of $19,500! :-o So that one is definitely out of my budget. But I have to say, it was absolutely lovely talking to him. The tourm comes from Mozambique and he said the color is phenomenal. That particular stone is 3.48ct; I asked if they have anything smaller from the same run, and he said that they did, but none of the smaller stones could compare in color. Specifically that the smaller stones were more like what we are used to seeing in indicolite--pretty, but less saturated/with a gray cast. But he's going to keep me posted. :halo:

So Minousbijoux, maybe, just maybe, it's an AJ stone. But I suppose it doesn't matter, at that price point. :lol:

Wow, just wow. At $19,500, I think he needs to get better photos, because I would NEVER have thought, based on the photo, that the stone could compete with AJ's, nor that it would have such a price tag. :o

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Agree, looks like a very nice, maybe fine namibian tourmaline but not like a Mozambique "Paraiba". But for this price pct I would expect a neon color..

S

SparkliesLuver

DecoDaze, I cannot wait until you have all 4 in-hand to compare! :appl:

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Minousbijoux and Marlow, I agree. I was expecting tourm #3 to be expensive, but I thought that would mean $4-5K! :o So... anyone want to buy it and post pictures? :Up_to_something:

SparkliesLuver said:
DecoDaze, I cannot wait until you have all 4 in-hand to compare! :appl:

Me, too! I'm currently awaiting FedEx for the gemfix stone. I should have a bit of time to play with it today, depending on when it actually gets here. :dance: Tomorrow I'm having the Prima stones held at the FedEx location, because I have my kids' end of year school events all day. So I'll get them, but I probably won't be able to do photos until Saturday.

Acinom said:
+1 on number 3. What an amazing blue!!

And coming back to your original question: I would keep the options open and choose the one you really fall in love with 8-)

Thanks, Acinom--I do believe that's what I'm doing, despite my intention to focus on the Mahenges. :lol:

When will the first one get here??? :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results