color
clarity

Which to go for: mahenge or blue tourm?

Red(ish) Mahenge or blue tourm now?

• Mahenge first!

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Go for the tourmaline.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Why not search for both at once and get the first great one you find?

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
So I have an approximately $2500 budget to get a nice stone. On my wishlist are, well, many things, but at the top are a red mahenge (or as red as possible, I definitely want the neon that mahenge is famous for) and a blue tourmaline (really looking for green-blue). Assuming that you desired each gem equally, which would you hunt for now and why? :bigsmile:

Ideally, I'd like stones that are in the 8-9mm range. I was thinking emerald cut or cushion for the tourm, but I thought I'd probably need to be more flexible on both shape and size for the mahenge. So... smaller is ok, if the right color. :sun:

I do know that looking for a red mahenge for 2500 is probably a pipe dream--please feel free to issue reality checks. I know to contact PrimaGems if that's the way I go; I'd appreciate other suggestions.

WWYD? And how would you go about it? ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$2500 for a decent 8 mm Mahenge = doable
$2500 for a 8 mm top neon red Mahenge = pipe dream if you can even find one today

Blue green tourmaline is definitely doable. If pure blue, then it'll take a while but good blue greens are still around and those with open colour are still priced within your budget. Even so, you might have to be open about the shape and cut.

ETA
Gene might still have some open/bright blue green tourmaline rough that end up around $300/ct to $500/ct. Most have ended up as gorgeous cushions.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Ooooo, tough one!
Mahenges and "paraiba" colors are two of my 3 favorites.
If it were me, I would hunt for them both simultaneously and see which turns up first! Either way you win. :appl:

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
LOL, PieAreSquared--after all, the hunt is half the fun, right? :lol:

To clarify, the blue tourm I'm looking for is not paraiba (that would definitely be a pipe dream!), but something like arjunajane's lovely JW: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-gamata-blue-tourmaline.150091/..']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-gamata-blue-tourmaline.150091/....[/URL].

Or something a bit greener than that would be great, too. There are a lot of blue-greens that I love. :lickout:

Chrono, thanks for your feedback and for the reality check. Do I recall you saying somewhere that Mahenges don't really come in red in sizes below 5ct? I think one of the reasons I'm particularly interested in the neon colors is because I have a small suite of emeralds that are just fabulously glowy, and I'd love to have other colors with a similar glow. When you say a "decent Mahenge," how will that differ from the top neon ones? No glow, but nice red color?

And thanks also for the tip on Gene's rough. I'll get in touch with him.

arjunajane_jw_tourm.png

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Since mahenge prices keep going up, up, up, as availability continues to go down - I would go for that one first. I think blue green tourmaline will likely still be affordable and available a year from now, whereas mahenges may not.

If you don't mind an oval shape, I think you could find a decent one @8 mm long in your price range. Pear shapes are also more common for mahenges. Rounds are almost impossible in that size. If you can even find a round 8-9 mm, it will most likely be extremely pricey even for just an ok color.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Maybe check out gemfix just to compare colors and see what you like best. He has a nice selection and several that are close to your price range and the size you're looking for. I think his pricing is, IMO, sometimes a bit on the high side (not at all unreasonably so, but I find I can often find something similar for a bit less, when I'm comparison shopping) - but right now his mahenge pricing looks pretty much in line with what I've seen recently. And it gives you somewhere to start. (Of course as you already know, Prima is always a great option and often the best).

Here's his red/pink spinel page:

http://www.gemfix.com/spinel.html

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge neon spinels are getting very hard to find even if they have orange or purple modififiers so I would hunt those first. But....must be neon.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, katharath. I've been wondering whether I should go for Mahenge first for exactly that reason--it may be difficult to get one now, but it's not going to be easier a year or two down the road, from what everyone on here says.

I'm completely fine with oval or pear--actually, I'd prefer those shapes to round. :bigsmile: Will check out gemfix.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
LisaRN|1433193371|3883838 said:
Mahenge neon spinels are getting very hard to find even if they have orange or purple modififiers so I would hunt those first. But....must be neon.

LisaRN, do you mean it must be neon because that's the best? Or because that's what I'd prefer? :sun:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd look for the mahenge first since the prices on those keep going up - you have more of a chance of finding one now than you do next year, in all likelihood.

I'd also try to look at them in person as I find red spinels to be more unpredictable than the pink ones - but ymmv.

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ajsgems also have some nice mahenge spinels under your price range. I bought my nice red burmese spinel from there, and IRL it lloked better than the pictures.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would go for a green-blue tourmaline, as I already have a few raspberry red CSs in my collection, and a top quality Mahenge spinel will probably drain my gemstone fund for an entire year!

However, I do not have any greens or blues, and shall look for suitable stones, once I have finished getting some purples, aquas, neon/electric blues.

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue / blue-green Tourm will be much easier to find. What size are you looking for?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1433193701|3883841 said:
LisaRN|1433193371|3883838 said:

LisaRN, do you mean it must be neon because that's the best? Or because that's what I'd prefer? :sun:

The neon aspect is what sets these gems apart. They glow in in any light- even low light which is what makes them so special.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1433191629|3883831 said:
LOL, PieAreSquared--after all, the hunt is half the fun, right? :lol:

To clarify, the blue tourm I'm looking for is not paraiba (that would definitely be a pipe dream!), but something like arjunajane's lovely JW: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-gamata-blue-tourmaline.150091/....']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-gamata-blue-tourmaline.150091/......[/URL].

Or something a bit greener than that would be great, too. There are a lot of blue-greens that I love. :lickout:

Chrono, thanks for your feedback and for the reality check. Do I recall you saying somewhere that Mahenges don't really come in red in sizes below 5ct? I think one of the reasons I'm particularly interested in the neon colors is because I have a small suite of emeralds that are just fabulously glowy, and I'd love to have other colors with a similar glow. When you say a "decent Mahenge," how will that differ from the top neon ones? No glow, but nice red color?

And thanks also for the tip on Gene's rough. I'll get in touch with him.

Deco, AJ's blue tourmaline is The Stone that started my quest for a greenish blue tourmaline! I cannot tell you how many have come and gone from my life, from greenish blue, to bluish green, seafoam to indicolite, "pool water blue" to blue blue, I have yet to stop! As far as I am concerned, that stone is one of the finest examples ever!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back to say get in line if you want a neon red Mahenge; unless you can pry one away from a collector, red seems to be finished. But there still do seem to be some neon magenta or pink or reddish pink Mahenges popping up from time to time. That to me is the distinction. While neon glowy Mahenges are getting pretty rare, they exist; I would not say the same for a neon glowy RED Mahenge. :(sad

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, everyone!

distracts--Yes, I think seeing them is a good idea. I'm hoping to order several (if I can find several) to see them in person. Or get to a source (gem show???) where I can see several at once.

userang--Good to know that your AJS gem looked better than the picture. I find their website a little overwhelming!

DK--you've been amassing quite the collection lately! I don't have any reds or raspberry-reds yet, so that's not a factor for me. :naughty:

Arcadian--Honestly, I'm looking for as big as I can go, up to 9mm or so. So if I go for tourm, I'm definitely hoping for bigger. With Mahenge, obviously price is a factor, and color is far more important than size for me.

LisaRN, thanks for the clarification. And yes, I totally agree--that's why I want one!!! :lickout: Neon or bust for Mahenge for me.

minousbijoux, I'm afraid I might follow in your footsteps; I can't get enough of blue greens. I even painted my bedroom a lovely peacock color! :lol: Definitely jealous of AJ's stone. :Up_to_something: As for the Mahenge, I'll do my best to find a neon red one; if no success, I'll move to the pinker colors. I'm after the glow here! Maybe with enough effort....?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian, thanks for the suggestion! I can work with the trillion (trillant?) shape, but yes, it's way above my price range. Still hoping--probably with the futile optimism that my golden retriever has for getting ice cream as a treat--for a red one. Or at least more red than that one. ;))

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
OK, so I'm just jumping straight into the deep end. I ordered this Mahenge from gemfix to take a look at it:

Laura said that it's the best one for my budget, the "reddest, most neon one." It's over budget, actually, but I can pilfer from my setting budget and just save to set later. Thoughts from the experts?

I've also contacted Prima, so will await their response.

I'm also looking at this tourmaline, though with all of your advice, I'm thinking it would be wisest to go for the Mahenge right now. I haven't reserved this stone, so if you recognize it, please don't ID it. I'm not putting the vendor photo up for fear of it being ID'd--though the website photo is lighter than these hand shots, and the vendor said that the stone is a little lighter than these photos show. The vendor is supposed to get me daylight photos tomorrow, along with a video. Would love opinions:

screen_shot_2015-06-01_at_6.png

just_a_tourm_1.jpg

just_a_tourm_2.jpg

just_a_tourm_3.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hands down, the Mahenge! words such as "neon" and "red" in the same sentence are rare. As for the tourmaline, while it is pretty, it is no where close to the AJ stone. I'm not saying you can find an AJ stone mind you, but you can come closer than the one you are considering. Since we share the same quest, perhaps you can learn from my experience and skip some learner stones, lol. The mistake I made was thinking that all greenish blue tourmalines were similar in appearance. The AJ stone is one of the most beautifully saturated stones I've seen in that color range; most others do not even come close. While the stone you are considering is pretty, it is not nearly as saturated, which means it will appear to have grey in it. It won't be that vivid, eye popping color, but a pretty blue green. I would say it will be easier to replicate that stone in the future, and actually, if I were you, I would hold out for one with even more color intensity. So Mahenge! :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
3230$ for a 1,70 ct Mahenge..... :shock:

If you buy this stone please buy a neonpink textmarker - white paper, a big fat dot and next this spinel....and please post this picture...

I have a fat pear which has exactly this textmarker colour and my best neon is a bit more saturated neon pinkish red.

If the textmarker dot looks better then this stone send it back!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a few distinctions of Mahenge quality to me:
1. Neon pure red = even if you can find it, can you afford it? Rare as hen's teeth today, regardless of size.
2. Neon pure pink = still doable but as you have discovered, still way above your budget, probably double it.
3. "Plain" red = very doable and within your budget. Probably has some orange and/or brown. Maybe some glow but not as much.
4. "Plain" pink = very doable and within your budget. Probably has some orange and/or brown. Maybe some glow but not as much

Which one do you want? I've emailed Jaimeen on and off over the years and he said #1 and #2 are pretty much tapped out. #2 is still possible today but the quality will never rival what was once plentiful (and affordable). #3 and #4 are still available but can be pricey depending on the size and quality.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here is a approx 1.9 ct blue tourmaline, about 9x7 for a little less than $2,000. It is included, but a pretty decent color.

__65.jpg

__66.jpg

__67.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Deco daze - you chose a good one from gemfix. That's the one I had in mind for you when I looked at that page! I do hope you LOVE it! Can't wait to hear what you think :)

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, checking in for the first time today. I'm expecting to receive the gemfix stone on Thursday. I talked to Jenna at Prima today, and she said their Mahenge stock will return from Vegas tomorrow or the next day, and they'll give me some options at that point. Hoping that I can get a couple of stones from them in hand before the end of the gemfix inspection period of 7 days. Any tips on evaluating the gemfix stone? I've only seen photos of Mahenges; as I mentioned, my experience with IRL glow is so far limited to emeralds. I will, of course, post photos!

Minousbijoux, thanks for the vote for the Mahenge. :bigsmile: And thanks also for letting me learn from your experience; your input on the tourm above is incredibly helpful. I'd love to keep you company on the quest for a stone like AJ's! :bigsmile:

Marlow, your post made me laugh--I will definitely send the stone back if a highlighter dot looks better than it does! :lol: (And I will post a picture for opinions, of course.)

Sparklies, thanks for the tip--that trillion *is* gorgeous! Sent an email inquiry to Cathy. ;)) (Though I suspect you're right and it's way out of budget!)

Chrono, thanks for the definitions. Of course, what I *want* is #1. But I knew that I had pretty much missed the boat on that. So I'd like to get as close to that as I can within my budget--and then I can evaluate whether getting a non-top color is worth it to me.

Xrisus, thanks for the suggestion, that is a lovely color! So many inclusions do bother me, though, and when I compare it to AJ's stone, it just doesn't do it for me. Champagne tastes on a beer budget...

katharath, so glad I chose the right one! :lol: I hope I love it, too, though loving the first one I see presents its own set of complications... while I'll certainly know whether I love it or not, it's hard to make a call about it in a vacuum. I don't want to end up at a gem show in 6 months and say WOW, now THAT's what a Mahenge should look like! :o (Well, I'm OK saying that if the theoretical gem show WOW Mahenge is triple my budget...) :lol:

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Also, would you lovely folks mind sharing your opinions about these tourms? (Again, please don't ID them if you recognize the vendor...) And yes, I'm still primarily pursuing Mahenges, but... apparently I'm looking for both at once so that I can get myself into trouble by finding the perfect Mahenge AND the perfect tourm simultaneously. :halo:

I'm particularly interested in your evaluation of their color (Minousbijoux? :bigsmile: ) I see the window in the second one.

tourm_1.jpg

tourm_2.png

tourm_3.png

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've hit on my favourite colours too. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Mahenge

I like the third of the last three you posted. Swala also has some nice tourms to check out.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Yep, the third one for me too, nice color :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results