kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Excuse my ignorance what is cbi and cvb? X

CBI: crafted by infinity
CVB: caysie van bebber, a jewelry designer

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, wearing a thinner less blingy band will make your beautiful ering stand out more. I am sorry you are having DDS already. I think it looks perfect.

DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome

Clugc

Rough_Rock
I agree, wearing a thinner less blingy band will make your beautiful ering stand out more. I am sorry you are having DDS already. I think it looks perfect.

DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome
Can’t believe DDS is a thing thought it was just me

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Ok I can’t return but I’m thinking of trading it in to a jewellers.. am I crazy ? I think I need to go up to 2 carat? I don’t mind radiant, cushion or round.. what Shape will give me more finger coverage? I don’t want to compromise on colour maybe I’d be happy to move to a F S1 eye clean for the larger size in non branded ? Am I being sensible?

Ok I can’t return but I’m thinking of trading it in to a jewellers.. am I crazy ? I think I need to go up to 2 carat? I don’t mind radiant, cushion or round.. what Shape will give me more finger coverage? I don’t want to compromise on colour maybe I’d be happy to move to a F S1 eye clean for the larger size in non branded ? Am I being sensible?

Would your jeweler give you credit to the tune of what preloved authentic Tiffany costs on the secondhand market? Or would he not take the Tiffany name into consideration? If it’s the latter, I would absolutely not do that because you will be out so much more out of pocket. I think maybe take a little time to think about what it is that you want because end of May you really wanted it to be Tiffany. You don’t want to make an expensive mistake. If you can’t return it to Tiffany there’s no deadline on your decision making.

I would take 6 months to live with your decision first. Really think about why you made the decision to go with Tiffany and whether it was worth the trade off. Everything in life has opportunity costs and trade offs. If you want more bling in your daily life, you could get that by adding a blingier wedding band or a blingy RHR. If at the end of your soul searching you realise that you just want a bigger stone and nothing else will do, I would start by figuring out your budget and your preferences.

For budget - I would start contacting consigners, private jewelers and checking out comps on resale websites (the preloved section here might be able to give you advice on this) to see what is a fair price for your ring. You won’t get back 100% of what you paid, for sure, but I have no idea what kind of loss a Tiffany piece would face tbh. The internet is your best source of information about this. Take that amount and add whatever extra you want to put in (if any) and you’ve got your budget. Don’t forget to account for setting costs (and taxes if applicable).

For your stone preferences, begin by going to B&M stores just to narrow down what shapes you like (don’t buy from the B&Ms necessarily but if you think you want to move away from rounds, you need to get an idea of what shape you like on yourself. A radiant is a different beast from a cushion. Do you want a longer shape or a squarer shape? Do you want brilliant cut or step cut? Shapes like rectangular radiant, ovals and pears will probably face up the largest on your finger because of the elongated shape of the stone but you might not like what those shapes look like once you have them on your hand). Once you have narrowed down a shape or two that you like, I would order cheap CZs in one or two sizes per shape (do some research to see what sizes you can afford within your budget, and order out CZ in those shapes in that size equivalent). Then try out the CZs for a couple of months. Then you’ve got your preferences.

After that I would begin the process of looking for your new stone, if you decide to go through with this process at all. Don’t start looking for stones until you’ve sold your existing ring, they won’t sit around forever so you’ll need the ability to quickly deploy your funds. You don’t want to find a great stone and miss out on it and then disappoint yourself. Selling the ring at a good price will also take time. Your best bet for finding a good diamond is probably online unless you have a jewel of a jeweler, and you can get plenty of advice here about your diamond!

Now that I’ve outlined what I think is the process you should be following, let me just add in that for what it’s worth, I would not personally change the ring now, but that’s me (I’m a sentimental person and I’m afraid you might regret a snap decision). It’s beautiful and something that you loved when you made the decision to do this, and like I said, there’s no deadline. If after you look into resale etc you find that it doesn’t make financial sense - don’t get disheartened. You can always keep this ring and get a different one later down the line once you’ve saved up for it, and then you’ll have two beautiful rings! Or you can choose to get a different beautiful piece or do something else that brings you joy. I’m sure the experience of picking out the ring and buying it was a lovely one - treasure those memories :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, sorry to admit, but yes, you are crazy lol Please enjoy your stunning ring for more than 2 seconds! You have a genuine T&Co solitaire, the solitaire that rules them all! With time of course to can upgrade, but let yourself enjoy this ring for a bit longer.

did you purchase it from T&Co directly or secondhand?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you need to take some time before making a potentially expensive mistake. I would wait at least 6 months before deciding to change anything.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
OP, sorry to admit, but yes, you are crazy lol Please enjoy your stunning ring for more than 2 seconds! You have a genuine T&Co solitaire, the solitaire that rules them all! With time of course to can upgrade, but let yourself enjoy this ring for a bit longer.

did you purchase it from T&Co directly or secondhand?

Yes. This. Also, put it away for a few weeks and then wear it again. It's a great size for your hand. Plus, spending too much time here makes it seem like everyone wears 4 carat plus diamonds. That's not real life for most. It is a substantial size and is very well suited for your hand. Don't wear it for a bit and revisit in 6 months.

L

lydial

Hi @Clugc I hate to see you waste so much money selling a brand new T&Co solitaire and then potentially buying something "big" but less sparkly from a random jeweler. The money you are planning to lose could be spent on a "different" jewel, and then you could have BOTH your T&Co and something else!

Can you tell us about your eternity band? Is it also T&Co? Are you thinking about wearing your larger diamond with that? Because with stones that large even a 2 carat may look smaller than the look you are hoping for.

If you are not attached to the eternity you could repurpose the diamonds to make a statement piece with your solitaire. I like that eternity a lot and I think you should keep it personally, but it is an option.

I personally harvested my 10 point T&Co stones from my original wedding band, which was a chunky channel set that became uncomfortable, and I had them set around a 1.15 ct diamond (I bargain hunted for that) as a "cluster". That gives a lot of finger coverage but is also a very specific look and is not for everyone - I can't wear it every day because it competes with other things I wear, but I wear it about 50% of the time. (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-cluster.249142/)

I 100% suggest keeping your Tiffany solitaire, maybe moving the eternity to a right hand ring, getting a very simple band to pair with it and looking long and hard for a DIFFERENT big diamond to quench your thirst for that big rock.

You can start with following Alex Parks at "parksfinegroupinc" on instagram and getting alerts, as soon as he posts the big inexpensive diamond of your dreams message him immediately (everything on his page that says "hold" means "sold" in like 5 seconds after he posts them!) Or go to Ivy and Rose or another vintage gem seller and give them your budget and try to get a 2 carat or other bigger bolder something to wear off and on - because selling the T&Co at a loss may not even provide you with joy either.

IF you decide to go bigger as a trade-in, spend time on the HPD website (high performance diamonds - a trusted vendor here) and read about their trade-in program (that is what I did and I lost about 40% of the original diamond cost of my trade in) but I agree selling yourself may profit you more / trading in may just be easier and less stressful AND you would then own a killer CBI... But what a shame to let the T&Co go.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
OP, what prompted the change? Why now? - just curious as I almost got myself a Tiffany e-ring until I (and especially my husband) realized how small it was. He was not impressed with the size that we could afford at Tiffany. Being in the circles we are in, I needed more finger coverage so I opted out and went with CBI - no regrets. Do I think occasionally of the actual genuine Tiffany classic e-ring setting? Yes. Do I regret getting CBI that is much sparklier and bigger but without the T&Co label? Absolutely not.

You appear to have wanted Tiffany more than I so I wonder what had happened between May (when you were adamant about having Tiffany) and now? If you sell your Tiffany now and get a different (non-Tiffany ring), you might regret that now you no longer have that brand/label you wanted. Everything comes at its cost.

Hi @Clugc I hate to see you waste so much money selling a brand new T&Co solitaire and then potentially buying something "big" but less sparkly from a random jeweler. The money you are planning to lose could be spent on a "different" jewel, and then you could have BOTH your T&Co and something else!

Can you tell us about your eternity band? Is it also T&Co? Are you thinking about wearing your larger diamond with that? Because with stones that large even a 2 carat may look smaller than the look you are hoping for.

If you are not attached to the eternity you could repurpose the diamonds to make a statement piece with your solitaire. I like that eternity a lot and I think you should keep it personally, but it is an option.

I personally harvested my 10 point T&Co stones from my original wedding band, which was a chunky channel set that became uncomfortable, and I had them set around a 1.15 ct diamond (I bargain hunted for that) as a "cluster". That gives a lot of finger coverage but is also a very specific look and is not for everyone - I can't wear it every day because it competes with other things I wear, but I wear it about 50% of the time. (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/steven-kirsch-cluster.249142/)

I 100% suggest keeping your Tiffany solitaire, maybe moving the eternity to a right hand ring, getting a very simple band to pair with it and looking long and hard for a DIFFERENT big diamond to quench your thirst for that big rock.

You can start with following Alex Parks at "parksfinegroupinc" on instagram and getting alerts, as soon as he posts the big inexpensive diamond of your dreams message him immediately (everything on his page that says "hold" means "sold" in like 5 seconds after he posts them!) Or go to Ivy and Rose or another vintage gem seller and give them your budget and try to get a 2 carat or other bigger bolder something to wear off and on - because selling the T&Co at a loss may not even provide you with joy either.

IF you decide to go bigger as a trade-in, spend time on the HPD website (high performance diamonds - a trusted vendor here) and read about their trade-in program (that is what I did and I lost about 40% of the original diamond cost of my trade in) but I agree selling yourself may profit you more / trading in may just be easier and less stressful AND you would then own a killer CBI... But what a shame to let the T&Co go.

I went back and looked at all the other posts OP made on this thread and I feel like your point about the eternity is super sound - she might like it a lot more if she wears the eternity on a different finger because it’s a big blingy ring that is sort of overpowering her ering! OP, perhaps you can try wearing your ring alone, without the band, to see if that’s the issue for you. You can still get a different bigger diamond down the road and set it in a halo/cluster setting for even more bling, and pair it with your eternity to blind everyone that comes in your path (in a good way) :D when you want to dress up, but wear your T&Co ring everyday with a thin plain/micropave band that is balanced to the size of your stone, and then you get the best of both worlds!

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
The eternity band is making it look smaller (it‘s not!) Try other bands with it. Also, I Know Tiffany Is pricier, but have considered upgrading it? You can upgrade it within the first 5 years there.

mewing

Rough_Rock

Yes i agree with the others. You might want to sit on it for a while before making a decision. The tiffany ring couldn't have come cheap. I would hate for you to make a loss on your diamond even before you got to really enjoy it. How about you put it up for a sale online and maybe suffer a 1 - 2k loss as opposed to taking it to a jeweller who would probably press down hard on your price.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone thanks for your advice.. I’m just sitting on it atm. I’ve been looking at a 1.8 h colour si 1 eyeclean cushion stone on a pave band. It looks lovely.. measures 7.8 x 7.0 so it has a big spread for the size. I’ve been looking at it on Instagram.. Londonjeweller. He’s based in Hatton garden and said he would trade my Tiffany. Not doing anything at the minute but thoughts would be helpful

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea how much your ring cost, but I can guess roughly and he's going to come out much ahead in the transaction financially.

I have no idea about the stone he is offering you, but a quick search on James Allen for those specifications in that weight range, from 1.8 to 1.85 gave me five diamonds, ranging from $7,600 to $11,450. A solitaire setting with a pave band starts at around $750 there.

Again, I don't know what the type of diamond quality he is offering you other than those basic specs or anything about the setting, but my guess is that you are probably taking a fairly large bath.

Clugc

Rough_Rock
I have no idea how much your ring cost, but I can guess roughly and he's going to come out much ahead in the transaction financially.

I have no idea about the stone he is offering you, but a quick search on James Allen for those specifications in that weight range, from 1.8 to 1.85 gave me five diamonds, ranging from $7,600 to $11,450. A solitaire setting with a pave band starts at around $750 there.

Again, I don't know what the type of diamond quality he is offering you other than those basic specs or anything about the setting, but my guess is that you are probably taking a fairly large bath.
Yes I’m not rushing Into anything. I would rather wait and see and not do anything too hasty. Ideally I would like to sell privately and buy from CBAI or GOG. I did think trading would be the worst outcome

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results