shape
carat
color
clarity

Which stone do you like for the ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
I want to make a ring for my gf. She likes bright color stones. Therefore, I want to give what she wants even though I personally like intense color stones. The ring is going to be a three stone ring. The side stones are going to be emerald cut very light yellow sapphires. Please help me to pick the center stone
21.gif

Here are the stones that I have in my idea and own. They are yellow sapphire, light violet-blue, pink-orange tourmaline, green Tsavo garnet and pink ruby. Thanks.

Ring Design 1C.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
The light violet-blue sapphire

Ring Design 2A1.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
The pink-orange tourmaline

Ring Design 4B1.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
The bright garnet

Ring Design 3A1.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
And, the bright pink ruby

Ring Design 5A1.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I like the tourmaline, garnet and then the sapphire.. Not too keen on the yellow or pink.... But feel free to send me any leftovers
27.gif

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I love the sapphire!!!!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them all, tough choice!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would choose the sapphire
18.gif
love the color of that one!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Those are some lovelies! Why can''t "all of the above" be an option?

I like the tourmaline. They''re all beautiful but something about that combo really strikes me.

sluke

Shiny_Rock
What is her favorite color? That would be a good starting point. I personally like the pink ruby, then the sapphire. Also consider the hardness of the stones. If she will be wearing this on a daily basis, you may want something durable.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 9:11:28 PM
Author: sluke
What is her favorite color? That would be a good starting point. I personally like the pink ruby, then the sapphire. Also consider the hardness of the stones. If she will be wearing this on a daily basis, you may want something durable.
That''s a good point. My gf like yellow and light blue, but the color of the tourmaline is very pretty. She does not like red color, but I think the pink ruby color is pretty, too. It is glowing. Are tourmalines durable stones? I know that rubies and sapphires are hard stones. I heard that CZ''s are going to be hazy after couple of moths of wearing on daily basis. Since tourmalines are softer than CZ''s are, they may get scratched easily. Is it true? I think I will go with either the yellow sapphire or violet-blue sapphire. Thanks for all your recommendation. By the way, I have a cabochon cut ruby. Is it possible to recut a cabochon ruby into star or cat''s eye ruby? Thanks

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sapphire, definitely! really a stunning pairing.

peace, movie zombie

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The light blue emerald cut sapphire is soo lovely and that as a ring would be divine!!!!

TKC

Shiny_Rock
I personally like the violet blue sapphire one. It is very clean, nearly loupe clean. It is just like an emerald cut light violet-blue diamond (if such color diamonds exist). Icestore has a dark violetish gray, a deep grayish violet and a deep violet gray which are quite costly
1.gif
It seem that my sapphire color is nearly the same as them, just lighter
16.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I agree the sapphire is really nice, and the tourmaline also makes a beautiful color combo...subtle but striking!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, it''s first the sapphire, those three stones look fabulous together...and then the tourmaline, very striking!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Aside from the color combo in which I think the sapphire has it hands down.
I really think the porportions of the sapphire works much better then any of the others, I think those three stones mesh perfectly...

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
I like the violet blue sapphire, the cut matches the side stone very well, further the lighter hue of the sapphire will meet your GF "required" bright stone.

Cheers
Ryan

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just needed to seethemall together hence the picture below.

The cut would be between the pink ruby and the light color sapphire. Between the two, blue is my favorite color, but I think the pink oval is the better stone. Perhaps the rectangular sides do not help it all that much. The color looks as if it would just glow !

alltogether.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2005 10:06:39 PM
Author: TKC
I have a cabochon cut ruby. Is it possible to recut a cabochon ruby into star or cat's eye ruby?
Perhaps the picture below changes the perspective a bit... I do not know if the scale is correct, but adjustng for the size of the sides, the blue seems to be allot smaller than the pink.

About the ruby - no, that would notwork. The star or cats eye effect is a property of the material, it cannot be changed by the cut. In theory, a piece of star material could be made to look like a normal (non-star) cabochon like yours, but that can hardly be the intended result because stars are more valuable. As far as I know, of course.

twotogether.JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like the sapphire first and the tourmaline second. With the emerald cut side stones, I feel the shape of the center should be along those lines as well, more squared or rectagle shaped rather than rounded. I prefer round, oval, or pear shaped side stones with an oval center.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
That light blue-violet sapphire is STUNNING and I think would look gorgeous as the center stone for your ring project. The cut is complementary to the sidestones, and the color just POPS. That sapph is truly stunning.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
The light blue sapphire no doubt is the top choice! The color, shape just says it all! What a luck girl she is!
emsmilep.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The sapphire would be awesome!!!

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the sapphire. I like the tourmaline too but it would be less durable. I''m not too crazy about the oval center, emerald sides combo.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
the sapphire!! it''s so beautiful and looks great with the sidestones.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
the sapphire and those sides would make the perfect trio.....god, I''m jealous
3.gif
!

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/4/2005 6:23:12 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 7/3/2005 10:06:39 PM
Author: TKC
I have a cabochon cut ruby. Is it possible to recut a cabochon ruby into star or cat''s eye ruby?
Perhaps the picture below changes the perspective a bit... I do not know if the scale is correct, but adjustng for the size of the sides, the blue seems to be allot smaller than the pink.

About the ruby - no, that would notwork. The star or cats eye effect is a property of the material, it cannot be changed by the cut. In theory, a piece of star material could be made to look like a normal (non-star) cabochon like yours, but that can hardly be the intended result because stars are more valuable. As far as I know, of course.
Hi Valeria, thanks for your idea to put them together. The ruby weighs 2.27 carats, but it looks larger than its weight does. And, the sapphire weighs 1.47 carats.
It seems that many of you like the violet-blue sapphire. So do I. It looks just so wonderful. I am talking about here is very very beautiful. You must see the violet-blue sapphire in person
21.gif
It is very very shiny. And, it is unheated. So are the side stone ones
21.gif
Well, I think I will go with the violet blue one this time. Thanks guys for your suggestions. They are very helpful (I was going to go with the yellow one because it is also a big sapphire, 1.90 carats). Once again, thank you very much.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Now you have to promise that you will show us the ring!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results