shape
carat
color
clarity

Which size food processor? 16 or 12 cup?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 9:58:37 AM
Author: Camille
Thanks for your kind comments ladies
emembarrassed.gif

MovieZ, I wouldn''t advise anyone to spend $200+ on a machine to make bread. If it happens that you have a processor, it can be done. You are right on the model mine is 2014N Power Plus Prep. Between four of us 2 loaves go fast [we don''t buy bread] but I would gladly send you one
25.gif

HappyA I see using the Processor as an initiative to start/try baking. As an avid baker I''m always trying new stuff, the mixing time was def faster on the machine but, I had to clean the bowl, your sink/soap is a great idea!.
Another thing, I didn''t like adding most of the flour at once, that might create a tougher dough, but in this case it didn''t happen..hand kneading obviously created more volume, flavor was the same because they both fermented 1.5 hours prior to shaping. As for cinnamon visuals B was def 1'' taller, A had about 1/8 C of raw cane sugar on top, that helped deflating a bit.
If you would like, I could post the recipe when I come back from my carpool
19.gif
if you want to play.
my husband had a breadmaker when we got married....and i''ve never used it!

however, one thing that attracts me to a food processor is the ability to make my own pizza crust in a short amount of time.....and make the sauce as well. in other words, its the multi-use that has me interested. however, there are only two of us and i''m not sure we really need the 16-cup...........but its supposed to be so much better made according to the people at W&S. its just so dang heavy and i don''t want to leave it out on the counter all the time......

mz

ps thanks for offering to send me a loaf! yes, please post recipe.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
I hear ya' MZ, sleep on it for a week or two, then decide
3.gif

Pizza can be done in 4 minutes/fool proof as long as you let it rest to do it's thing, I'll dig up some pic if you want...very easy, really.

Toast Matin
[enriched] This recipe makes 2-1lb loaves or 36 rolls.

4 3/4 C bread flour [21oz] Any brand
1 1/2 ts Salt [.38oz]
3 Tb Sugar [1.5oz]
2 ts Instant Yeast --1 envelope or [.22 oz]
1 large Egg, room temp [1.7oz]
1/4 C Unsalted Butter, soft [2oz]
1 1/2 C buttermilk or whole milk, room temp [12 oz] don't add lemon juice to milk, you need the culture as tenderizer.

In a large bowl place 2 C flour, salt, sugar, yeast, egg, soft butter and buttermilk, mix with a wooden spoon until you achieve a gluteny mass, [30 strokes?] then add 2C bread flour and stir until all the flour is absorbed and the dough forms a soft ball and clearing sides of the bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 C of flour on the counter/kneading board and dump the ball there, knead for 4-5 minutes adding 1/4 C of flour only if necessary, dough should be tacky bot not sticky.
Lightly spray the bowl w/pam or just oil, transfer dough to bowl turning once to coat all sides, cover w/Plastic wrap and let it ferment for 1 1/2 hours to 2 depending on the weather, it should double in size.
Remove the 'soft' dough from the bowl and divide in half [1lb 2oz @] and genlty flatten each piece with your hand to make an even sided rectangle about 5" wide by 7 " long, working w/short side of dough roll up the lenght of one section at a time, pinch the crease, [roll will spread out as you roll it up eventually extending to the size of your pan 8-9"]
Rock the loaf to even it out, don't taper the ends. Spray 2 loaf pans w/PAM and place loaves in the pans. Lightly spray the loaves tops w/Pam [to avoid plastic sticking to it] and cover w/plastic wrap. Proof at room temp for 1hour to 1 1/2 hours until it nearly doubles in size.
Preheat oven to 350° F, score w/sharp knife in the center and rub little oil into the slit or brush entire surface with: butter/oil/pam/half and half/egg wash, I like deeper look so I brushed a mixture of 1 egg yolk+1/2 egg white and a few drops of milk.
Bake loaves for 35-45 minutes, rotating halfway through for even baking, tops and sides should be golden brown. The internal temp of loaves should be close to 190°F, remove immediately from pans and cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Sliced bread freezes well in freezer bags, taking # slices out the freezer as needed.
•For rolls divide in 36 2oz @ piece, proof, brush and bake at 400° for 15 minutes until they are golden brown.
•Cinnamon bread, right before rolling the flattened dough, sprinkle 50/50 cinnamon/sugar mixture, no fats needed the moisture of the dough will keep it in place.
•FProcessor, swirl 4 1/4C flour with the rest of dry ingredients, add egg and buttermilk and process until it forms a ball, dust your hand in flour to scrape off the dough from the blade, knead 4 times in a board floured with 1/2 C of flour to form a soft ball.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
recipe/pictures, yes, please, Camille!

went to a local chef shop in scruz today: saw a 14-cup that is the new redesigned smaller version of the 16-cup from W&S...or so i was told. same HEAVY body, 3 bowls, configured so attachments don''t fall out, etc. however, its the same price.........stainless, and i said the same heavy body. has the dough button as well as a pulse button.....

handled some immersion blender sticks.

talked to the owner of the shop who bought the 14-cup redesigned cuisinart for herself as her 70th birthday present. she''s amazed that i don''t have any of the kitchen gadgets given what i described to her that i do iin the kitchen.

yes, more research...and The Food Processor Bible has been ordered at a book store for he to peak at....that will probably be the clincher.

thanks for all the input and patience....and thanks to Happy for getting this one going!

how''s it going with your new toy, Happy?

mz

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/5/2009 12:10:30 AM
Author: movie zombie
recipe/pictures, yes, please, Camille!
mz
I apologize for the mega thread hijack in advace
37.gif

This recipe is simple, soft next day, yields 5-7" since our family likes thicker crusts, easy to play with and fool proof as long as flour is measured correctly, you prob know this [spooning the flour from the canister/bag into measuring cup and level off w/knife]
1 C All P=4.3oz or 126 gr....1C bread flour=4.5oz or 127gr 1C wheat 4.4 oz or big difference when you want to twist a recipe.

Pizza [cold method]

2 C cold water
1 C semolina flour
2 ts salt
2 Tb olive oil
1/2 ts italian seasoning, or basil, or garlic or none.
1 1/4 ts instant yeast

3 1/2 to 4 C bread flour

In a large bowl mix first 6 ingredients, add 1 C of bread flour, stir with a large wodden spoon and let rest 15 minutes, start adding 1/2 C of bread flour at a time to form a soft ball, turn onto a 'lightly' floured counter/board and knead for 5 minutes until smooth/elastic, place that ball in same bowl [sprayed/oiled] turn once to coat, cover w/plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24.
Two hours before using, remove from the fridge and divide in 5 equal parts [about 7oz@]
Preheat oven to 500° F
Line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper [if using paddle/baking stone, just place the parchment on the counter] sprinkle with extra semolina [or Pam] and place a ball of dough on top and using your fingers start pressing/spreading dough to a 7" cirlce [or desired size/thickness] be sure to leave an edge all around, continue with the rest [or freeze it] Add 1/4 C sauce and whatever fillings you want, bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 8-12 minutes depending on the thickness/fillings.
If convection oven is avail bake at 475° F for only 8 minutes.
While the oven is heating up you'll see major action, My all time fave, drizzled with 2 Tb sauce, baked for 4 minutes until tomato/peppers slices soften w/o cheese:

DSCF5334.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Then add some provolone and bake until:

DSCF5335.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Crumb

DSCF5339.JPG

Camille

Shiny_Rock
This one is ciabatta type of crust, longer process/open crumb but so similar in taste imho:

DSCF5392.JPG

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Oh please Camille--threadjack to your hearts content!!! Your pictures are so professional and the food looks divine! Thanks so much for giving us these recipes.

Here''s notes from my day of food processing fun. First of all, do not start the day by moving your waffle iron in a different place, close to the kitchen cupboards, so that when you are distracted about getting the batter in all the right places and reach up and grab the handle mostly with your peripheral vision, which has been screwed up by being close to the cupboards, you reach down too low and grab the hot hot , did i say, really hot front of the iron. The rest of the day I spent with my fingers sticking out of ice water!

I planned on having a very organized, efficient use of the FP and started with your bread recipe, Camille, Toast Matin ( never heard a name like that). It processed like a dream. I set it aside to rise and pizza dough was next, but first I had to spray water all over my kitchen (clear across the room) when I found out that the lid of the food processor has that feeder hole in it, so I will now be more careful rinsing it out!!

I used Pizza dough recipe from booklet that came with FP, but wow--I used 1/2 a batch of 3 1/2 cups flour and the processor was jumping around like it was ready to fly across the room. I thought I had broken it. The dough never formed a ball, just wrecked havoc on the machine.Do you now what happened? Anyway that got put into fridge for tomorrow’s supper.

Next was lettuce with shredder on 6 (largest slicing) and I must say hand slicing would have been easier cos you have to chop it up to fit it into the feeder tube anyway. I thought chopping it with bottom chopper would be to much like mulch.

After the first rise, I punched it down and I put 1/2 bread dough in a loaf and the other as cinnamon rolls. I loved the rolls, better, DH preferred the loaf,and that’s why we are so happily married after 30 years, its the Jack Sprat thingy again.

It is a delicious recipe, thank you. Any suggestions as to how I can get the loaf to rise more? I know from your pics the FP rose less, but mine was lower than yours. I let it rise a long long time.

I was going to make the honey apple cake but decided I better not make more food than I can eat!

Camille

Shiny_Rock
You're too kind HA, sorry to hear about your burns
6.gif

LOL about the FP jumping OMG! You know..adding most if not all flour at once doesn't do it for me, weather/room temp, kind of flour and time of year makes a difference as how much water is needed, that's why I weigh everything. I'm sure it will be much softer in the morning...if not, I'd mist the top and knead it a couple of minutes and see...you never know...
3.gif

I think the FP tends to force gluten strands harder than our hands, therefore less volume, I only kneaded mine a couple of times. Processing it less time might help next time for me. Keep one thing in mind, we both used room temp buttermilk/egg def take much, much longer to proof. You could punch half way the suggested time and let rise again, second time around will be higher. There's also a chance that your pan was larger than mine
2.gif

So wish home ovens had steam injectors! To mimic that you could place a doubled [cheap] foil pans/old brownie pan [no glass]placed on the oven floor [or lowest rack] then heat the oven and load your bread in the center rack and quickly pour hot water [about 2C] in the old pan, CAREFULY! Immediately shut the oven door and bake as directed, you'll get a 25% spring.
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy, sorry you burned yourself! and thanks for the update........i''m so glad you''re comiing back and giving the feedback.

Camille, you''re killing me.........i love the recipes and pictures. we like thin crust, the thinner the better for me, so that recipe would be great.

however, why did Happy''s FP jump around?

and great tip re the steam in the oven. unfortunately, my oven isn''t baking worthy for the most part. i might be able to get a stable 325-350 which would work for some things.

mz

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Thanks MZ, Happy''s FP jumped bc dough was prob a little too heavy for the blade, won''t hurt anything...but def funny LOL
Sorry to hear about your oven problems
15.gif

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Lost a long post-- here''s a summary--I think the FP jumped for 2 reasons, I used 1/2 recipe and I think it got unbalanced and it was too wet. Directions mention that you might need to stop processing and redistribute dough in three separate balls and then continue to process. I talked to SA at W&S and she said why do 1/2 batch?, flour is so cheap and she always makes foccaccio with the rest, uses a wooden spoon to poke holes in it, drizzles olive oil in the holes and sprinkles rosemary.

Camille--I made your pizza dough, it is in the fridge and will be tomorrow''s supper, and I''ll make the foccaccio) I know it is spelled wrong sorry), I have also made the apple honey cake, yummy, very springy texture, I made it into cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I need to buy cheaper brandy for cooking. That means I''ve done all your recipes and they are all great , thanks so much! and best of all was suggestion to not add cheese until the end, I aways had burned cheese and soggy uncooked crust. I cooked crust naked for 5-6 min, then all toppings sans cheese, than cheese at end.Marvelous!!!! Best I''ve ever made.

SDLady-yes, buy it and join our FP sisterhood. Share tips and recipes-lots of fun.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
36.gif
WOW you're on baking row
36.gif
glad you liked the recipes, I'd like to clarify, when I use fresh veggies/peppers I bake them on the crust for 4 min or so to wilt/roast them then add the cheese...for your reg pepperoni, is ok to add everything at once as long as you don't add more than 1/4 of sauce. But for your very 'First one' I think is smart to add the cheese later AS ovens do vary. Keep us posted and Kudos to you! DH loves foccacia, the dough posted isn't rich so you may want to drizzle some Olive oil prior to dimpling
3.gif
If not in the mood, you can freeze the dough, wrap individual dough portions in plastic wrap then bag and freeze up to two months, when ready to use, defrost in the fridge a day ahead.
Since you made me take out the FP, I'll play w/another recipe [twisties] that I 'think' we can play later and develop a super high loaf
31.gif

SDLady, what a deal! My toys in the kitchen don't match & reason #1 to hide them
face14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results