• Buy the VC 810

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Buy the VC 457

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warning that this will be a somewhat long thread, so if you want a TLDR here it is: I'm trying to decide between 4 options of potential wedding sets. Help me choose!

I have wanted a van craeynest ring forever. I found one from an estate store that didn't know what they had (before COVID or maybe right at the beginning, hard to remember because time no longer has meaning lol), but REALLY wanted a whole set. I live about 30-40 min from the store in Redlands, CA, so I went to see sets IRL. I realized that I *could* buy my dream set, but it would be incredibly expensive. Think 5-6.5k WITHOUT a center stone. I was 100% sure I was going to do it and set a *stone that can't be discussed here* in it.

Here are the sets I was considering (diamonds in them because that's what they had at the store but I wasn't going to buy with these stones).

810 set in 18k yellow gold
w7NHOk2.jpg

18k gold 457 set (they only had a rose gold wedding band to try on, but I would have bought both in yellow gold and with a much smaller center stone).
KZbEHBV.jpg

But then I started looking elsewhere because the idea of spending that much money on one thing is extremely stressful and causes significant anxiety. So I went down a deeeeeeep rabbit hole of etched/engraved/orange blossom rings (both wedding bands and settings). I found 2 wedding bands and 2 settings I really love for less than half the price of either VC set INCLUDING the center diamond. They are 14k and the VC is 18k but clearly that doesn't account for the insane price difference. I should note that the VC label isn't important to me, nor do I require a die struck setting. I just love the aesthetic and that makes me think that if I can get something I love with the same aesthetic and I love it then I should go with it rather than spending such an exorbitant amount of money (to me) but I want PSers thoughts.

Here are my other setting options (note that each is shown with 2 wedding bands. I'm going to buy both wedding bands so I can see them IRL and make a decision between them, but I'm torn between the two setting choices.)

Setting 1

icm_fullxfull.315522258_8owubklx1nk0o8c0woo4.jpg

icm_fullxfull.319776359_o3wu89lhlj4wgssgsw8w.jpg

Setting 2

icm_fullxfull.315526716_dxjncxv8z1cgcko4wsw4.jpg

icm_fullxfull.319795995_49gqxwvld4iskgs0cg8s.jpg

So what should I do? Which one?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two I like the first one a little bit more. The flowers seem just slightly more delicate in the first setting and more reminiscent of the VC aesthetic IMO.

That being said I totally get that buying a VC set is like a down payment on a car but just make sure you are really good with a non VC set. In other words don’t settle.

Excited to see what you come up with!

Personally I prefer the fluidity of setting #2. The flowers stick out a bit too much for me in option #1. But both are beautiful! Lol, maybe get both and put a colored stone in the runner-up :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two I like the first one a little bit more. The flowers seem just slightly more delicate in the first setting and more reminiscent of the VC aesthetic IMO.

That being said I totally get that buying a VC set is like a down payment on a car but just make sure you are really good with a non VC set. In other words don’t settle.

Excited to see what you come up with!

Thanks! I was hoping you'd see this :) you prefer the 1st of the non VC options?
Yeah, I'm trying to make sure I'm not settling and am definitely concerned about it. I was having doubts even at the boutique....I thought I would feel excited narrowing down options (because they are all freaking gorgeous and works of art), but instead I felt incredibly anxious and nauseous about the price tag and kept thinking about how many items on my wish list I could buy for the price and/or how devastated I'd be if anything happened to such an expensive set. And basically as soon as I got home I found myself trying to find alternatives and/or used sets. But they are just gorgeous so it's a hard choice.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the first non VC set. They are both pretty though.

Does this mean you would buy and wear one of the non VC rings as is or would they be able to be modified to fit the unmentionable stone? How big are the diamonds in the non VC rings?

ETA: I totally get the anxiety by the way, it’s a lot of money, not worth it if you would worry constantly about damage or always think about the cost. I would feel the same and probably find a ring with the same aesthetic for less.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the first non VC set. They are both pretty though.

Does this mean you would buy and wear one of the non VC rings as is or would they be able to be modified to fit the unmentionable stone? How big are the diamonds in the non VC rings?

ETA: I totally get the anxiety by the way, it’s a lot of money, not worth it if you would worry constantly about damage or always think about the cost. I would feel the same and probably find a ring with the same aesthetic for less.

Yes to the bold because they are included in the price which is already super reasonable. I'd get a different setting for the asscher style unmentionable :) In the 1st non VC setting it's a .42 diamond and in the 2nd non VC setting it's a .62 diamond.

EDIT. In theory I could ask if my 1ct unmentionable could fit but I assume the ring would need to be modified a lot and they are nice as they are.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotcha, okay then I’m going to change my answer and go with the second no VC since the diamond is bigger ;-)

Also I’m emailing you a listing I found for a band so keep an eye out.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I know everyone is going to hate me, but I'm truly not moved by any of them really, and I have seen VC that I've adored but for 5-7k I couldn't see myself spending that much on any of these. There's something about them all that look really dated & almost cheesey. Just my two cents that you should ignore if they really do it for you, but if you're unsure I'd wait! Overall I hope you pick one that you fall head over heels for!!! I know you've been wanting one for so long & you deserve it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know everyone is going to hate me, but I'm truly not moved by any of them really, and I have seen VC that I've adored but for 5-7k I couldn't see myself spending that much on any of these. There's something about them all that look really dated & almost cheesey. Just my two cents that you should ignore if they really do it for you, but if you're unsure I'd wait! Overall I hope you pick one that you fall head over heels for!!! I know you've been wanting one for so long & you deserve it!

appreciate the feedback! Just an FYI that the non VC options are less than half that much, but I totally get what you're saying. Do you mind me asking which VC settings you like?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I recognize the VC 810 band in your first picture. Thank you for posting it - it is my favorite band in the world, and I absolutely love seeing pictures of it. You are lucky that you got to see the VC rings in person!

You have found lovely orange blossom options. I prefer the engagement ring of option #1 because I prefer the look of the flowers.

When you were at VC did you "fall in love" with the rings? Did you have trouble taking them off your finger because you just wanted to keep admiring them? Can you go back for another look? I understand about the anxiety with the large purchase - I have that too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recognize the VC 810 band in your first picture. Thank you for posting it - it is my favorite band in the world, and I absolutely love seeing pictures of it. You are lucky that you got to see the VC rings in person!

You have found lovely orange blossom options. I prefer the engagement ring of option #1 because I prefer the look of the flowers.

When you were at VC did you "fall in love" with the rings? Did you have trouble taking them off your finger because you just wanted to keep admiring them? Can you go back for another look? I understand about the anxiety with the large purchase - I have that too.

Good points! It's so hard to say if I fell in love or not. I essentially cant separate "love" from cost. But I guess no I didnt feel like "omg I cant take this off". But again I think a lot of that is price. Haha I may or may not be insane.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
appreciate the feedback! Just an FYI that the non VC options are less than half that much, but I totally get what you're saying. Do you mind me asking which VC settings you like?

So glad you understood what I meant as words can get so easily misconstrued as the tone isn't there. So after browsing VC I realized that the only pieces I've fallen in love with were all bands, so I guess I'm just not a VC setting girl as far as purchasing one to fit a center stone; they're just not my style. Seven thousand is also so much, and me personally, I would only be able to rationalize that spend If i bought a big honkin' natural old cut diamond, but to each their own. I'm sending you nothing but good juju as you decide which one! & If I had to pick out of these options, I think I'd go with setting #1 as the side flowers are more pronounced and readable!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs, you have done a great job finding settings with the VC aesthetic! I like setting #2, it's really pretty and the stone is larger. It sounds like the cost of the VC is just too upsetting to you and you just won't get enjoyment out of it, which I totally get. You're not insane lol!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing to add.
I totally get the reservation on the cost of VC. You can pay for it, but do you want to.

Somewhat related - I asked a duplicate of a vintage ArtCarved ring to be made. The mfg just isn’t the same. It’s pretty - but just not the same......it wasn’t a cheap repro either. End of the day - it’s just not the same because it’s .....just not the same.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing to add.
I totally get the reservation on the cost of VC. You can pay for it, but do you want to.

Somewhat related - I asked a duplicate of a vintage ArtCarved ring to be made. The mfg just isn’t the same. It’s pretty - but just not the same......it wasn’t a cheap repro either. End of the day - it’s just not the same because it’s .....just not the same.

This is a concern for sure and definitely worth considering.

Good points! It's so hard to say if I fell in love or not. I essentially cant separate "love" from cost. But I guess no I didnt feel like "omg I cant take this off". But again I think a lot of that is price. Haha I may or may not be insane.

I can totally commiserate. There's just a different feeling wearing something I had paid $$$$ at full retail price for vs. something I got preloved. Maybe it has something to do with feeling like I'd have to baby it if it's brand spanking new, as opposed to happily rockin' a preowned piece that I found "at a great price!"

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of prefer the first non-VC setting. Seems, though smaller, the diamond is much brighter than the second choice. Could be the angle though. Maybe they could take several more pics, or pics of the two side-by-side? Other than the size, do you have other stats on the non-VC setting stones, including price? That might help people make better suggestions.

Both bands are lovely, though. I think since you’re getting a whole diamond ring without sinking $7k into a setting (into which you have to pop an unmentionable), perhaps you can justify both bands. Just for a little variety.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kind of prefer the first non-VC setting. Seems, though smaller, the diamond is much brighter than the second choice. Could be the angle though. Maybe they could take several more pics, or pics of the two side-by-side? Other than the size, do you have other stats on the non-VC setting stones, including price? That might help people make better suggestions.

Both bands are lovely, though. I think since you’re getting a whole diamond ring without sinking $7k into a setting (into which you have to pop an unmentionable), perhaps you can justify both bands. Just for a little variety.

Good point about prices! the 1st non VC setting with the smaller diamond is 1200 total including diamond, and the 2nd non VC setting with the larger diamond is 1700. Fair prices IMHO. Each non-VC band is in the 275-300 range.

I"m asking the vendor to take a pic of the settings together side by side. I know the diamonds aren't set yet, but even if the vendor can take a pic of the empty settings side by side it would probably help me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vendor deserves a freaking award for all the patience he has for my questions. icm_fullxfull.320371767_lyxbq9zb1dco0woogww0.jpg
icm_fullxfull.316119536_cz8x3ca6lkgskkoowkwo.jpg icm_fullxfull.316119346_rfvfwb2tois4ccogsw0w.jpg

There's something about the one with the "grooves" (setting 1 in my original post) that makes my heart go *pitter patter*, but the bigger diamond and potentially more detailed setting is also gorgeous. I'm making myself decide by today by imagining how I'd feel if 1 vs the other sold.

The vendor deserves a freaking award for all the patience he has for my questions. icm_fullxfull.320371767_lyxbq9zb1dco0woogww0.jpg
icm_fullxfull.316119536_cz8x3ca6lkgskkoowkwo.jpg icm_fullxfull.316119346_rfvfwb2tois4ccogsw0w.jpg

There's something about the one with the "grooves" (setting 1 in my original post) that makes my heart go *pitter patter*, but the bigger diamond and potentially more detailed setting is also gorgeous. I'm making myself decide by today by imagining how I'd feel if 1 vs the other sold.

Based on that, it sounds like really, you love #1 more. Whereas #2 is more appealing b/c it is sounds like a "better deal"?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of these two choice I like #2 more *in general*... but I fell like those things little cups in the middle of the flowers look like there are supposed to be tiny diamonds and they fell out...

BTW, the rose gold band you tried toward the top with the VC ring looks really good with your skin!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen I also may or may not have purchased this gorgeous ring last night bc it's exactly the look I love. So I'll have 3 wedding bands to consider *sighs at own inability to control love for bling* Screenshot_20210131-105046_Etsy.jpg

Also @OdetteOdile I thought you might appreciate this ring i tried on at VC. This was the one I didnt want to take off. But the setting ALONE is $6400, which is painful *faints, cries*. 20210103_110105.jpg
20210103_110102.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pictures @lovedogs ! You know, I don't think I have seen that setting before, and I just love those flowers on either side of the center. I do love floral jewelry!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG love that band you bought last night! LOVE!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pictures @lovedogs ! You know, I don't think I have seen that setting before, and I just love those flowers on either side of the center. I do love floral jewelry!

Ugh, right??? I hadn't ever seen it either and fell in love. But once I knew the price I just couldnt handle it. Way too much for a setting (for my comfort level, not for others of course).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG love that band you bought last night! LOVE!

Me too. I messaged the seller saying "I just bought this bc I am obsessed, but hope it can be resized .25/.5. If it cant please tell me" bc I was pressing "buy now" before checking the size lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results