shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting would you choose for this stone?

Which setting would you choose? A, B, or c?

• A. Graduated setting

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • B. Trellis setting

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • C. Original setting

Votes: 24 50.0%

• Total voters

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I went setting shopping again.......looking for something to catch my eye. Found 2 that I keep going back to.
One is a trellis setting - the prongs swoop up and cross each other: Thicker metal-looking, larger diamonds,stones are all one size,connects to top, thicker/substantial profile....NOTE: the picture of this trellis setting is not the right basket size for my stone, so keep that in mind.

Second is the graduated setting. There are larger to smaller stones, framed by metal on either side. Pretty profile and sits almost flush with other bands.

Original setting is the four prong with swooping shoulders; very low setting. Pretty at certain angles. The original setting is on my pinky in the pictures

There are pros and cons with each setting of course and slight variations. Just not sure. Wondering......

Which one do you like best for my stone???

img_8743.jpg

img_8731.jpg

img_8734.jpg

img_8732.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given how many times you've started a new thread on this same topic, I don't think our opinions (which are consistently that we love your existing setting) are going to be of any use to you at all. I think the most useful course of action would be to figure out what you like in a setting - I mean, start a bulletpoint list on paper - and then look for settings that incorporate those details, and when you find one that catches your eye that you know also fulfills all your other wants you'll be better able to make a decision one way or the other.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1349038284|3276993 said:
Given how many times you've started a new thread on this same topic, I don't think our opinions (which are consistently that we love your existing setting) are going to be of any use to you at all. I think the most useful course of action would be to figure out what you like in a setting - I mean, start a bulletpoint list on paper - and then look for settings that incorporate those details, and when you find one that catches your eye that you know also fulfills all your other wants you'll be better able to make a decision one way or the other.

+1. I haven't seen any of the settings that you've selected so far that I like better than what you have. You seem determined to find something different though and I wish you all the best in your search.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to bother you guys but I have been back and forth for a while and found these 2 a few months ago and of course have been going back and forth and finally got some pics today; able to post. I think I totally agree - the original setting is so pretty and believe me I haven't done anything after all this time because it is so perfect together, and I don't want to be the one to disturb it and take away the integrity and history of the piece. The way the stone is set is perfect, the prongs are perfect, but I think I need a more substantial feeling on my finger, my finger is long.....SO I got an idea before, DH and I saw another ring (totally different) and he suggested I get it for our anniversary. It's a halo ring and takes up alot of my finger. I would have to put a new diamond in it though. What do u think of that idea? :confused:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
This. I think your setting is absolutely and completely gorgeous, and I like it best out of all the options. Best of luck in your setting search.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
I have been looking at settings too! I love the one your diamond is set in currently. It's really the best!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1349043381|3277036 said:

+1. I haven't seen any of the settings that you've selected so far that I like better than what you have. You seem determined to find something different though and I wish you all the best in your search.

+2. My thoughts exactly.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1349092676|3277277 said:
MissGotRocks|1349043381|3277036 said:

+2. My thoughts exactly.

+3

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a +4 to the 'keep it as is' but I know you are conflicted about your original setting and seem to be looking for a change. If you ARE going thru with the change up, they all seem very similar to your original look (hence the voices above saying its just perfect as it is!! :love: ) but I voted for the graduated design. I like that better of the 2 alternates you've picked.

What are you leaning towards? any one in particular?

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I am leaning towards.........first was the Trellis, then the graduated. I mean , I was close to setting it right then and there yesterday.......but then I didn't feel excited excited, so I said, I better look at the pics at home and wait........Now I am seeing in the pics that the graduated setting bubbles out at the bottom/sides and almost pushes my fingers apart, where the Trellis one allows my fingers to lay flatter.... I will post another view of the trellis from another vendor who had a small stone in it....

I was also thinking about getting a bulkier ring and new diamond altogether, like a cushion or possibly a princess... (?)

img_5863_2.jpg

img_5868.jpg

img_5871.jpg

img_8770.jpg

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
and my orig settng

img_0967.jpg

img_1097.jpg

img_147.jpg

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I also prefer the original setting.

But if I *had* to choose between the two new ones, I prefer the graduated one. I think the proportions look best with it and your stone.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree w/what others have said about your setting being perfect. Now, if you are looking for a more substantial feeling, what about adding stackers? Another PSer received new stackers to flank her e-ring and it looks very substantial. What if you got another plain band for the other side of your e-ring? Or maybe an engraved band to go on top, or maybe a thin eternity? Just tossing ideas at you. :D If I were forced to make a decision bx trellis and graduated, I'd go graduated.... :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your current setting as well-especially the flowing profile.

Have you considered instead of a reset looking at the preloved section of PS and getting a beautiful RHR to give you something on your right hand that takes up more space? When I wasn't pregnant and was wearing my e-ring I thought often of recutting the center stone and adding engraving. I haven't worn it in a while and was going though pictures and thought to myself-wow-that's really a beautiful ring. It doesn't need anything done to it. I can't wait to be able to wear it again (a few months more I'm sure) and I might still do the engraving but I doubt I'll do a recut.

PS has a tendency to make you want to change what is actually already prefect if you just live and let live. There are SO many beautiful styles and types it could be a never ending money pit if you allow it to.

That's why I like all these ladies who buy many rings and wear them as RHR-diamonds-gemstones-whatever since you'll rarely get it all in one. Unless of course your yenni and have a beautiful antique oval and the new 3 stone ring (inspired by Tgal's beauty) since IMO those are sheer perfection and I wouldn't need any more after having those 2 pieces 8)

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
THanks u gals. I have a thinner ring I could try and maybe a thin diamond band, that' s a cool idea.
The graduated setting - does it look unusually shaped to you?? extra round/wide towards base? i see in pic my fingers aren't close together, like w/ trellis setting......

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvdiamonds2|1349227611|3278381 said:
THanks u gals. I have a thinner ring I could try and maybe a thin diamond band, that' s a cool idea.
The graduated setting - does it look unusually shaped to you?? extra round/wide towards base? i see in pic my fingers aren't close together, like w/ trellis setting......

I actually do see this, but I don't think it looks bad! Do you think it might be uncomfortable?

I like your original setting too, but the problem is I don't think you like it, and that's ok! There's nothing wrong with that. Jewelry should make us happy, and if the setting is keeping you from enjoying your diamond, I think you should change it. I am leaning towards the trellis.

You mentioned getting a completely new ring. That might be an alternative if finances allow. That way you would preserve your heirloom ring.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have read many of your threads but I think this is the first time I have commented. Only because I am not an expert like the others are!! :bigsmile:

I really think you should consider a new ring. Your current ring is beautiful. That has been said to you enough times but it still isn't making YOU feel better about it and that is fine. It is what you want that counts.

I really do not think a reset will change anything for you. However, if you were able to either keep this one and get another ring to scratch your itch, then fab!! If not, look to selling it and getting what you truly desire. Which I suspect is a bigger centre. ;))
(For the record we have all been there at some time!!)

Whichever you choose, good luck. Please let us know how your journey goes!!

:wavey:

Scandinaviangirl

Rough_Rock
susimoo|1349237190|3278474 said:
I have read many of your threads but I think this is the first time I have commented. Only because I am not an expert like the others are!! :bigsmile:

I really think you should consider a new ring. Your current ring is beautiful. That has been said to you enough times but it still isn't making YOU feel better about it and that is fine. It is what you want that counts.

I really do not think a reset will change anything for you. However, if you were able to either keep this one and get another ring to scratch your itch, then fab!! If not, look to selling it and getting what you truly desire. Which I suspect is a bigger centre. ;))

+1

I've never posted on PS before, but I have admired your ring for a long time. I think it's one of the prettiest rings I've ever seen. But all your posts on this subject makes me think you are not happy with it. I hope you won't separate the stone from the setting, they are so beautiful together, but it's your choice. Maybe a completely new ring where every detail is exactly what you want would be the best. I hope you find a solution that suits you and makes you happy!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Scandinaviangirl|1349265697|3278579 said:
susimoo|1349237190|3278474 said:

+1

I've never posted on PS before, but I have admired your ring for a long time. I think it's one of the prettiest rings I've ever seen. But all your posts on this subject makes me think you are not happy with it. I hope you won't separate the stone from the setting, they are so beautiful together, but it's your choice. Maybe a completely new ring where every detail is exactly what you want would be the best. I hope you find a solution that suits you and makes you happy!

OMG thank you soooooo much. :wavey: That compliment means a lot. And thanks to Junebug and Susimoo too! :wavey: Well, guess what I'm gonna do??
I am going to the jeweler to get it cleaned and polished, then I'm going to speak to them about possibly rebuilding the shank and making it thicker on bottom (very thin which is good but I like it thicker) and this might build it up in the base which will make it sit higher on my finger - without changing anything really. What do u think of my idea???

I think it was Junebug I can't see the quote but I was also thinking of getting a halo setting - just the setting for my anniversary. Then I can play with diamonds at the jeweler and see what size I can get away with that is white/nice quality. That way I get that feeling of bulk on my finger... what do u think of this 2nd idea?

PS Sometimes I'm just like - reset it but something is holding me back --- :-o

PSS: When the jeweler (setting shopping) was holding my ring looking at diamond through loupe, it looked soooo pretty - the setting - i really love it from certain angles, just not exact top view because looks thin of my long/semi-fat finger..Lol. He said he could not see any inclusions at all in the stone. I think it is under a prong, unless they sold me an IF!! :razz:

Scandinaviangirl

Rough_Rock
Well I hope you will keep it as it is and not reset it. Maybe you can get some diamond bands and stack it with for a more substantial look? I think that ring is perfect as it is. Maybe you can create a new ring with a new diamond for your right hand instead? Just some ideas.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure any of our opinions are going to help. I've just read all of your topics in the last 3 months and every time you have asked for our opinion, and the majority of us say we love your current setting and you say you're going to keep it and then a short time later this all starts up again. I don't think you like your ring. As much as everyone has tried to tell you it's gorgeous, because IT IS, you just keep resisting. I'm not sure why you think you need the diamond to sit higher as this seems to be your constant argument about your current setting. It's just going to catch on everything and smack in to everything and will be easier to damage. I get this is your project and you have every right to do what you want, but if you're going to change anything and you have the means to just get a NEW ring. You talk about changing the shape of your stone and so on so get yourself a new ring with a new stone. Just leave your current ring alone. It's beautiful and truly looks like a ring that was handed down from a grandma and doing anything to it would just be sad. Good luck in whatever you end up doing. You know what most of our opinions are and obviously we'll be here...waiting for pictures.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Hello,

Yes, well I'd say I'm a tad-bit, would you say.......indecisive??? Well, guess what. I have decided to get a NEW setting and a NEW diamond for it. That will be our next adventure together in the coming months......and when I say "our" I mean us here......LOL come along for the ride 04.......

I will leave this ring as is. I went to the jeweler today and he suggested that I just build up the shank as it is a bit thin. It's platinum so he said it should be fine though as is now. Since I was there to get my prongs checked and it cleaned, I figured hey, why not look at some wedding bands?? (and settings, but didn't see anything LOL) SEE PICS BELOW

I REALLY like this band. What do yall think? Be totally 100% honest and please link me to any band that you think will enhance
my ring :wavey:

img_8798.jpg

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
p.s. Wedding band above is pretty - what do u think of that versus any of ones? If u have any bands to suggest, please link me to them - thank you! :wavey: Or any enhancers even.

Also, I was thinking for the new ring - either a halo I think it's like 11mm though VERSUS a large diamond 2ct+, but would I be in the same situation again - not finding a setting that I like! The 11mm only fits a 1.2ct,..another decision. :read:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that band with your ering!

You know, I've been thinking that it seems you would like to have more finger coverage than you do with your current stone. Would it make sense to sell this ring and put the proceeds towards a larger center stone and halo? Do you think you will end up wearing both rings? Not sure if you're intending this new ring to be a RHR, or you would alternate wearing your current ring and the new one as your ering. What do you think you would end up doing? Just some thoughts I had as I was thinking about your options. What do you think?

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1349571406|3280786 said:

You know, I've been thinking that it seems you would like to have more finger coverage than you do with your current stone. Would it make sense to sell this ring and put the proceeds towards a larger center stone and halo? Do you think you will end up wearing both rings? Not sure if you're intending this new ring to be a RHR, or you would alternate wearing your current ring and the new one as your ering. What do you think you would end up doing? Just some thoughts I had as I was thinking about your options. What do you think?

Hey Junebug!

Well, I love how this diamond looks and it's so different and amazing. I guess I would wear my new wedding set when I'm in the mood for a thicker band/fgr coverage and on other days wear this set.? I don't know if i can sell it, it's a great idea but it's so unique. I don't want to regret selling it, esp for a modern stone, which I'll prob get a princess, radiant or emerald for the new ring. Not sure. THe new ring is 11mm cushion shaped halo and matching curved band. BUT of course I saw another ring today that was an emerald cut center and halo with baguettes. So elegant - now I'm like, second guessing myself.!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvdiamonds2|1349574194|3280812 said:
junebug17|1349571406|3280786 said:

Hey Junebug!

Well, I love how this diamond looks and it's so different and amazing. I guess I would wear my new wedding set when I'm in the mood for a thicker band/fgr coverage and on other days wear this set.? I don't know if i can sell it, it's a great idea but it's so unique. I don't want to regret selling it, esp for a modern stone, which I'll prob get a princess, radiant or emerald for the new ring. Not sure. THe new ring is 11mm cushion shaped halo and matching curved band. BUT of course I saw another ring today that was an emerald cut center and halo with baguettes. So elegant - now I'm like, second guessing myself.!

Oh ok, and I totally understand your wanting to keep this ring, it's beautiful - I was just tossing out ideas! it would certainly be nice to have the two options, and switch rings depending on your mood! An 11mm halo would certainly give you a lot of finger presence for times when you want a bit more bling.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I think we BREATHE diamonds, right???? Here we are on a Sat nite - lol! :love: :love:

Just curious, do u have any setting ideas for this ring that I didn't think of (halo???) or wedding bands???

Also, for the new ring, the size was 6.5, but my finger was bulging above the ring. I am not sure if 1/4 size is enough to eliminate that (it was in the summer though) or go up a 1/2 size to a 7. 11mm + band 2mm = 13mm. I tried on a 7 but it comes on and off easily. Do u think i should get a tad bigger than 6.75?? to be on safe side??

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvdiamonds2|1349575758|3280824 said:
I think we BREATHE diamonds, right???? Here we are on a Sat nite - lol! :love: :love:

Just curious, do u have any setting ideas for this ring that I didn't think of (halo???) or wedding bands???

Also, for the new ring, the size was 6.5, but my finger was bulging above the ring. I am not sure if 1/4 size is enough to eliminate that (it was in the summer though) or go up a 1/2 size to a 7. 11mm + band 2mm = 13mm. I tried on a 7 but it comes on and off easily. Do u think i should get a tad bigger than 6.75?? to be on safe side??

I think I'd go with the 6.75 - I think if you try to go between 6.75 and 7 it might end up being too big in warm weather.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1349580633|3280846 said:
iluvdiamonds2|1349575758|3280824 said:

I think I'd go with the 6.75 - I think if you try to go between 6.75 and 7 it might end up being too big in warm weather.

Thx Junebug. I think u r right. the 6.5 did fit me fine and the jeweler was telling me it was fine but i didnt like the bulge.
So if it ended up being too big, i could always buy a ultra thin eternity diamond band stacking ring in a smaller size to place in front to keep on in winter??????

Also, don't kill me, but I have been growing fond of halos.......what setting would you suggest for my OEC??

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I'm surprised the Trellis setting got the least votes. Do u think that is because the larger sidestones of the trellis compete with the OEC center??
I like the profile of that one / thickness - more solid feeling..... :|

img_8759.jpg

img_166.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results