shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting makes the center stone stand out the most?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have my princess cut diamond set in a classic solitaire setting. It's actually going to be changed to a different mounting next week, but that's only because the head of the ring is slightly crooked on this one, and also because I want to switch to v-prongs.

I love all different setting types, and originally thought that I wanted a Tacori three-stone setting that I saw online. Then I saw it in person though, and realized that I didn't totally love it. Instead, I found myself gravitating towards the plain, classic settings.

There are many things I love about my current setting:

- I believe that since there are no other diamonds in the setting, my main stone really stands out
- I don't have to worry about losing any of the little diamonds (I worry enough about my big one, since I'm a total worrywart)
- I can dress it up or down - I think that it looks equally great with either a cocktail dress or a t-shirt and jeans
- It's a classic style, so I'm less likely to change my mind later
- It would be easier to upgrade later (I'm on the fence about whether I will again or not), since we're not putting a lot of money towards a setting that we might not be able to use again with a larger diamond
- It's not a designer setting, so I don't have to have it sent off when I want to have work done (and I'm really picky, so I like for all of the prongs to look exactly identical, etc).

I do think that some of the designer settings are gorgeous, and sometimes I think about getting something a little bit fancier, like with diamonds down the band or something. Will that make my main stone stand out less though?

I also still like the three-stone look, just not the one that I saw on the Tacori website. I saw a beautiful one by Sylvie, but again, while it's totally blingy, I'm worried about it making my center stone blend in with the other diamonds. I also really like the totally open settings, with as little metal as possible. I just want prongs, and not a basket or anything else obstructing the view of my main stone. Because of this, I think that maybe I shouldn't go the three-stone route.

I also saw a Ritani setting that I totally fell in love with (solitaire setting, thin band, with little diamonds all along the band), but my jeweler does not work with them. It's just my luck, because I think that they work with almost every other designer that I can think of. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how happy they would be if I went elsewhere, or whether or not it would void their diamond upgrade policy.

Oh, and while my jeweler works with a ton of designers, I don't think that they have much of a selection of stock settings.

What do you guys think? Sometimes I feel like I should dress my ring up a bit more, but other times I think that my current setting is the best for make the center stone stand out.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
shihtzu I love your solitaire :) I think it really makes the center stone stand out!

what about getting an eternity band to stack with it?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! My fiance and I are not married yet, but I have thought about selecting an eternity wedding band. That's definitely another great option! :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a classic solitaire is just beautiful but I do understand the desire for a little something extra on the band. I don't think looking around at all is a bad idea. I'd love to see the Ritani. I don't see how putting your stone in a new setting would void your stone's upgrade policy. Many people change settings b/f upgrading stones and it's not a problem at all. You should definitely find out what the exact policy is though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results