Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting makes the center stone stand out the most?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I have my princess cut diamond set in a classic solitaire setting. It's actually going to be changed to a different mounting next week, but that's only because the head of the ring is slightly crooked on this one, and also because I want to switch to v-prongs.

I love all different setting types, and originally thought that I wanted a Tacori three-stone setting that I saw online. Then I saw it in person though, and realized that I didn't totally love it. Instead, I found myself gravitating towards the plain, classic settings.

There are many things I love about my current setting:

- I believe that since there are no other diamonds in the setting, my main stone really stands out
- I don't have to worry about losing any of the little diamonds (I worry enough about my big one, since I'm a total worrywart)
- I can dress it up or down - I think that it looks equally great with either a cocktail dress or a t-shirt and jeans
- It's a classic style, so I'm less likely to change my mind later
- It would be easier to upgrade later (I'm on the fence about whether I will again or not), since we're not putting a lot of money towards a setting that we might not be able to use again with a larger diamond
- It's not a designer setting, so I don't have to have it sent off when I want to have work done (and I'm really picky, so I like for all of the prongs to look exactly identical, etc).

I do think that some of the designer settings are gorgeous, and sometimes I think about getting something a little bit fancier, like with diamonds down the band or something. Will that make my main stone stand out less though?

I also still like the three-stone look, just not the one that I saw on the Tacori website. I saw a beautiful one by Sylvie, but again, while it's totally blingy, I'm worried about it making my center stone blend in with the other diamonds. I also really like the totally open settings, with as little metal as possible. I just want prongs, and not a basket or anything else obstructing the view of my main stone. Because of this, I think that maybe I shouldn't go the three-stone route.

I also saw a Ritani setting that I totally fell in love with (solitaire setting, thin band, with little diamonds all along the band), but my jeweler does not work with them. It's just my luck, because I think that they work with almost every other designer that I can think of. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how happy they would be if I went elsewhere, or whether or not it would void their diamond upgrade policy.

Oh, and while my jeweler works with a ton of designers, I don't think that they have much of a selection of stock settings.

What do you guys think? Sometimes I feel like I should dress my ring up a bit more, but other times I think that my current setting is the best for make the center stone stand out.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
shihtzu I love your solitaire :) I think it really makes the center stone stand out!

what about getting an eternity band to stack with it?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! My fiance and I are not married yet, but I have thought about selecting an eternity wedding band. That's definitely another great option! :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a classic solitaire is just beautiful but I do understand the desire for a little something extra on the band. I don't think looking around at all is a bad idea. I'd love to see the Ritani. I don't see how putting your stone in a new setting would void your stone's upgrade policy. Many people change settings b/f upgrading stones and it's not a problem at all. You should definitely find out what the exact policy is though.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.