shape
carat
color
clarity

Which setting do you like better for a cushion diamond??

escott02

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on either of these settings?? I really like both but am having a hard time making a decision and would like some input. I want a cushion cut diamond and it will probably be 1.25-1.5 carats or so. The ring will be size 6. Both of them having matching wedding bands in the picture. The square one has some antique detailing on the sides like engraving type, but unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of that when I was at the jeweler. 5.17_0.jpg

I would love any input you have!! My girlfriend is classic elegance in her style, but she has mentioned she would like something that is a little bit unique and different but she's not a fan of square diamonds like princess cut. Do you think a cushion cut diamond in the square setting would look good...I'm leaning towards that one I think...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you really couldn't put a cushion in the round setting, so I'd certainly choose the one on the right! I think you need to choose your cushion first, though. Then depending on whether it is a modern or antique cushion, we probably can make some suggestions for you. Has your girlfriend told you she wants a halo setting? It is really good when you can get some input about what she likes, and then we can help you a little better.

(You need to buy your diamond first because the ring should be made to fit the stone and her finger.)

escott02

Rough_Rock
yes, she likes a halo setting. we haven't really tried anything on because this is a complete surprise, but i know that she doesn't want square and i think she would like either. i really like cushions and think they are really classic and seem her style and a little different. i found a setting online that i really liked but the diamond had to be 1.7 carats to fit the halo and i didn't want to spend that much and did a lot of research about the cushion shape. im going back to the jeweler on saturday and they're going to have some stones in stock for me to look at, they didn't have much in stock in my price range and specs...hoping to make the decision after seeing the stones and seeing the settings again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the settings people buy here are made to fit the stone. Be sure your jeweler would be ordering the setting to exactly fit your diamond and sized to her finger.

Are you looking at antique or modern cushions?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
this video might help with cushions
http://vimeo.com/7579666

I prefer the single band instead of the split shank. So I would get something similar to the 2nd setting but with one band.

also, if she doesn't like square...what about a round? or are you looking for a rectangular cushion?

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
If I were to be completely honest I would say none of those. They are not refined enough in their details for my taste to qualify as classically elegant (please take no offense as none was intended!)

But if I had to choose, I would say the single band one.

Lastly, as I have a rectangular cushion, I just want you to be aware that its harder to find a visibly rectangular cushion than a square so definitely start with the stone and then look at settings.

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
If there is one thing I have learned on PS, it is DIAMOND FIRST, setting later. There is a world of settings out there and a fantastic assortment of diamonds. One will speak to you...eventually. be patient

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a huge fan of either of the settings either. Would they make the round halo cushion shaped to surround your stone? I agree with the others that you really need to find your stone first and then go for the setting.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
Has she ever seen a cushion cut diamond? With a purchase like this, I'd want to be absolutely sure!

Good luck! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I'll have to agree that after seeing hundreds of halo settings around here, we could point you in a direction to get a better one. And probably the stone, too, for that matter. So don't buy a cushion unless you find one that you love. Educate yourself with the video before you go in, and you'll be better prepared to evaluate them!

escott02

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your input, I have done a lot of research into cushion cuts and I will watch that video before I go back to the jeweler. I do plan to pick the stone first, which is why I haven't chosen a setting yet. I felt like I should have an idea before I go back on Saturday of which setting I liked, but I feel better knowing it's ok to decide after I pick the stone. I have looked at a lot of cushion stones on the James Allen website, so I have an idea of the variation in cushion cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to be honest and tell you that James Allen doesn't have a great selection of cushions, so please don't base your decision on that!

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
It's always a great idea to be comfortable with your jeweler and if you indeed have found that, then that's great. But if they've given you those two options as candidates and they're representative of the settings they have, then I'm afraid I'm going to say you should look elsewhere for a setting.

It would be such a shame to get a quality stone and then get a mediocre setting... :(

escott02

Rough_Rock
Well that's good to know...

From another thread here are my preferences and budget:
Budget: $5000-7500
Color: Anything J or above
Clarity: SI2 and above (eye clean ...would prefer VS, but am no opposed to SI because of my budget)
Carat Weight: 1.0Ct+
Lw Ratio: 1 - 1.05 (I want square)
Cut: Cushion modified Brilliant (Modern)

I wanted to order online but my mom wants me to talk to a jeweler in person and see stones in person which was why I was using James Allen because some people had suggested to look there since they have actual pictures of the stones. It has been helpful to see pictures of cushions on James Allen because it does show how much variation there is with the cut, and the video that slg47 posted was really helpful.

Any suggestions of stones/settings or websites for a cushion of this size?? The jeweler has been a jeweler that my family has used and trusts, I personally like the internet because I feel like I can get a lot of information this way more easily and more accessible...but at the same time I do like seeing things in person.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
I sympathize with you. I know that he's a family jeweler and that may make you feel somewhat obligated to buy from him/her. The only thing I would caution is if your fiance is PICKY (like we here at PS are PICKY), then I would not recommend those settings (or similar) by any stretch. If however, she's not, then I think it's okay to go those types of settings (once you've picked a stone).

Perhaps a good alternative is to buy the stone "through" your Jeweler (if he understands/knows the concepts we're trying to convey to you about the variations within cushions) and set it in a plain solitaire (Diamond Seeker always suggests this for a reason). That way, you have a ring to propose with and she has the ultimate say in the setting? ::)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
here are some options...are you looking for modified specifically or just a modern cushion? JA will let you request up to 3 ASET images, so maybe pick your favorite three?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Premium-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1362665.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1280430.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1304751.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1375503.asp

otherwise if you are shopping online I would call GOG and tell them what you like (maybe even explain based on the video what type of cushion you are looking for) and ask them to find you some candidates. Then they can take pictures/ASET/etc. and give you all of the information.

escott02

Rough_Rock
I did make the purchase this past weekend and am very happy about it. I did buy from our family jeweler and I got a 1.3 carat cushion H color, VS2 clarity with the setting on the left which will be customized to fit a cushion diamond. I can't wait to see the final product! Thanks for all of your suggestions, I think it will turn out beautiful :) Should be ready in the next 1-3 weeks and I'm going to pop the question before a surprise "birthday" party for my girlfriend on July 1st!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad you are happy with your purchase! Please come back with pictures when it's all done and congrats to you both!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results