shape
carat
color
clarity

Which ruby stone should i buy?

Abc1238765

Rough_Rock
Hello All

I have been looking for a ruby ring online for some time now. I started with looking for a ring, now ended up on lose stone. Would like your opinion on these, as I am a complete newbie:
ruby #19-585, Oval Modified "Portuguese" Cut, 1.52cts - Gemfix
Red Ruby 1.1ct Oval from Mozambique Gemstone (gemselect.com)

These kinda fit my budget and color requirement (budget is less than 10K for complete ring). I'd prefer a cushion cut but am not able to find one that i like in my price range.

Are these worth the listed price?

Highly appreciate your feedbacks. Thank you.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my phone I can’t get the second video to run; but that could just be me.
They are quite diff cuts & colors. Does one in particular speak to you?

Abc1238765

Rough_Rock
@motownmama, thank you for your responsw. I like the gemfix one more, due to better clarity VVS-VS vs VS-SI. Also more carat weight. But it was heat treated whereas gemselect one is not.
My concern is also, are these rubies priced correctly?

Thank you!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is the first one because I like a true red, the second has too much of a purple modifier for my personal taste. I didn't open the report, but if it is heat only with no residues I would not hesitate. To me, unheated is only a plus if it is my desired shade of red.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
i might be the lone dissenter but i prefer the second stone because it is unheated, which i greatly favor. and i also like the larger faceting that i see, again because i favor larger faceting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I prefer the 1.1ct from Gem Select for its colour as it is more pleasing to my eyes compared with the Gemfix one.

Personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the first one because of the color and it's a wee bit bigger. Did you check out Africa Gems? They're having 25% off right now and he'll send a video if you request one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d still pick Gemfix, knowing it’s minor residue. To get the same quality in unheated means it’ll likely cost $10K and more.

Gem Select’s ruby has cut issues and the colour isn’t red enough for me to part with my money.

Abc1238765

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your wonderful inputs. Suggested by MrsKMB here, I checked the africagems site.

Genuine Fiery Ruby Gemstone, Oval Cut, 1.24 carats, 6.72 x 5.42 x 3.96 mm , GIA Certified - A Unique Beauty (africagems.com)

What do you guys think about this?

I also stumbled upon another website that i have not seen before, not sure how good it is though they do have certifications:
Natural Pigeon Blood Ruby - 1.07 carats (GP55275) from Mozambique | GemPundit.com
This ruby looks quite nice too, though not sure about the site.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely want to see the AG stone in person since it’s promising. The other stone is a weird egg shape and there’s cut and clarity issues that I’m not comfortable with.

voce

Ideal_Rock
i might be the lone dissenter but i prefer the second stone because it is unheated, which i greatly favor. and i also like the larger faceting that i see, again because i favor larger faceting.

As someone who buys exclusively unheated ruby and sapphire above melee sizes, I would say that the unheated ruby here is really not the best that you can find for the budget. I would personally buy a more gorgeous true red, like the one in Cecile Daley Designs' Etsy shop. If you're discerning about treatments, you should be just as discerning about the color.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck with your search. There are certainly purists that desire unheated for it to be enjoyed technically/emotionally/psychologically. If you’re not that person or your budget isn’t allowing you to achieve that, then I’d really trust your OWN eyes. When you look down at your ruby or others notice/compliment - YOU should love the color.

Abc1238765

Rough_Rock
Thank you motownmama. I have never made a gem purchase like this before. So more scarier and 10k is a big deal for me. Hope I can find something good thats worth the price.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Berganza has ~ 100 vintage/antique ruby rings under 10K GBP (a little more than $10K).

I never bought from them but they are very reputable. There may not be reports for all but most of their stuff does have a decent report. It's a great place to start, imo, and to get style ideas.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who buys exclusively unheated ruby and sapphire above melee sizes, I would say that the unheated ruby here is really not the best that you can find for the budget. I would personally buy a more gorgeous true red, like the one in Cecile Daley Designs' Etsy shop. If you're discerning about treatments, you should be just as discerning about the color.

color is as important, to me, as a lack of treatment. a lack of treatment is objective. a stone has either received treatment or it hasn't. color is a great deal more subjective. and in my support and contribution to this thread, i bear that in mind.

@Abc1238765 's original post is a choice of the two stones. and of the two, i indicated which i favoured and conveyed, why i favoured it.

i tried to look up your recommendation of cecile daley designs but only came up with cecile raley designs ... some very pretty stones! thank you!

edited to add: faceting is also very important to me, if im being honest.

Last edited:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Enhoerning Jewellery? Not many rubies on the site right now but you could ask? They do have this one which faces up in size similar to some of your other choices,

I‘m in the U.K. and have often looked at the Berganza site. I think their prices are pretty inflated, personally.

Maybe Lang Antiques have something?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your wonderful inputs. Suggested by MrsKMB here, I checked the africagems site.

Genuine Fiery Ruby Gemstone, Oval Cut, 1.24 carats, 6.72 x 5.42 x 3.96 mm , GIA Certified - A Unique Beauty (africagems.com)

What do you guys think about this?

I also stumbled upon another website that i have not seen before, not sure how good it is though they do have certifications:
Natural Pigeon Blood Ruby - 1.07 carats (GP55275) from Mozambique | GemPundit.com
This ruby looks quite nice too, though not sure about the site.

of these two options, based on the information that is provided, i favour the ruby from africa gems. it is a larger carat weight and the faceting appears nicer to my eyes. a video of the ruby from africa gems would be very helpful in seeing, better the faceting

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Assuming that is legit, the Africa Gems one is definitely the choice one for me. Stunning fiery red colour and apparently unheated/untreated. It doesn't say where the stone is from, but maybe Mozambique?

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
The Gemfix stone would be my first pick because of the colour and the slightly bigger size, then second pick would be the Africa Gems stone.

The other stones are less appealing in colour to me or not cut to my liking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results