shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Round Brilliant would you pick?

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, BrilliantDummie here again.

My older post has run over to page 4 and I feel that it's subject matter has changed enough times that not a lot of people pay attention anymore. In hopes of making my final decision on a purchase. I am trying to stick above clarity VS2 but have been looking at SI1 lately just in case. Color I try to stick above H. I try to make sure the inclusions are not underneath the table and that the diamond metrics are as close to ideal as possible. This really narrows things down for a budget of about $6500. Here are my options so far.

1) 1.01ct H-SI1 Depth-61.9%, Table-55.0%, Crown-34.5 deg, Pavillion 40.8 deg, HCA 1.3. Dimensions-wise, seems perfect. Inclusions have twinning wisps on one side right on the girdle and a cavity on the other side, right on the girdle again. These worry me the most but the rest of the diamond seems clear from the GIA. Price $6777.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4509222...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

2) 0.99ct E-SI1 Depth-62.1%, Table-56.0%, Crown-34.4 deg, Pavillion 40.6 deg, HCA 0.8. Also very good on dimensions. Inclusions include feathers all over the crown but clean under the table. Price $6932.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4964077-0.99-carat-Round-diamond-E-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

3) 0.95 F-VS2 Depth-62.5%, Table-56.0%, Crown-35.0 deg, Pavillion 40.8 deg, HCA 1.6. Also very good on dimensions. Inclusuions are listed as cloud and crystal but there is no way to get a clarity map or a picture of the stone until I buy it. Price $6024.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5062250...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

4) 1.01ct H-SI1 Depth-62.0%, Table-57.0%, Crown-36.0 deg, Pavillion-40.6 deg, HCA 1.8. Dimentions are a little bit out of spec as the crown is too large of an angle. Inclusions are mostly clouds and natural indents all around the girdle. Price $6626.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5117736...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

5) 0.95ct H-SI1 Depth-62.4%, Table-56.4%, Crown-34.5 deg, Pavillion-41 deg, HCA 1.9. Very good on dimensions. Inclusions are a cloud under the table and feathers around the girdle. Price $5531.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12116/

6) 0.95ct H-SI1 Depth-62.6%, Table-56.0%, Crown-36.0 deg, Pavillion-40.6 deg, HCA 1.8. A little off on dimensions for crown angle. Inclusions are twinning wisp but no clarity plot or pictures are available. Price $6345. This is from my local jeweler so I can see it in person before purchasing.
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

The diamond will sit in a white gold setting with pave stones around it. My priorities are on clarity and best sparkle from the diamond. I do not want to compromise integrity though so cavities, feathers, and twinning wisps worry me usually. If it helps maybe you guys could prioritise so I have 2 or 3 options to choose from in case the number 1 choice gets bought up while I am deciding.

Please help me make the decision guys! Thank you so much! I hope one day I can help others on this forum as much as all of you have helped me!

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely see the one that your jeweller has. It's always best to see a diamond before you buy it, imo. Do you have access to an ASET scope?

I would skip #4 because I have a hunch that it's cloudy.

I would be surprised if #2 is eye-clean.

The rest are contenders, I think.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Thanks metatrix,

I do not have access to an ASET scope so will have to go off of the info on-hand.

I would like to support my local jeweler as well but I cannot get over the price of the GOG diamond and information accompanying it. Plus, the local diamond has a slightly steep crown and not much on clarity other than "Twinning Wisp" which could be anywhere, and if it is in the center then it could be a pain.

Maybe I should just go ahead and take a good look at it. In the grand scheme of things a few hundred might be ok for convenience of doing things locally.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Why wouldn't you at least take a look at it? What's the downside? Also, if you buy from a local jeweller, they will typically do the setting at cost.

I wish I could be the ASET fairy, flying all over the world with my scopes to help out people shopping for diamonds. :)

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Well the way this guy works is that he is shipping the diamond in from his supplier and can only hold it for me for that day. So if I dont choose it on that day he will have to send it back. I am allready purchasing my setting with him so actually would be nice if I got both at one place (he guarantees the diamond against breaking if his diamond is set in to his setting at his location).

Looking through all ofthese myself again, I am torn between #1, #5, and #6.
#1 I love for the ideal prooprtions.
#5 I love for the price and all the provided info on GOG.
#6 is somewhere in the middle as the price is somewhat high but the jeweler is local and I can see the diamond in-hand. Unfortunately I will have no access to any information other than the very limited GIA report.

All things considered, I will get the ring appraised and insured. Maybe I can appraise the diamond before it gets mounted, that way I can get ASET images by the appraiser? This is turning out pretty complicated.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
It's actually pretty hard to find an appraiser who will do an ASET. Where are you located?

I also think it's kind of odd that your jeweller can only hold the diamond for a week. My jeweller brought in a 3 ct stone for me and held it for 2 weeks before I decided to take it. It has now been one week since I told him I wanted the stone, and I still haven't even put down a deposit. He is waiting for us to get the cash together.

It's possible your jeweller is saying he can only keep it one day as some sort of high pressure sales tactic. Is he a trustworthy guy? I would tell him you want to see the stone, but that you are unwilling to make a decision in such a short time period. If necessary he could always send it back and then ship it in again if you decide you want to take it after all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you can get the magnified photos and idealscope images on all the other stones, then I'd have to go with the GOG stone. And in that case, I would have them set the stone, too. They carry so many brands that I feel sure they could get one like you are looking at.

Do you have the info on the stone the jeweler may call in? We may be able to find it online.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
I am in the Bay Area, California.

You might be right about the appraisers. PriceScope lists them as being able to do ASET imaging but I cannot find any information to prove that claim on their websites.

The local stone is GIA 5166719095, 0.96ct H-SI1.
My local guy is quite trustworthy I would be very much surprised if this is a scheme by him to buy that stone (although I am sure this happens). The way he explained it is he cannot keep it in local inventory, or something like that.

diamondseeker2006
My gf and I both searched for settings and she found one that is unique enough in details to her that she convinced me to buy the setting already. I do not feel comfortable sending it out to have the diamond set. I would probably try to insure the loose diamond then have my local guy set it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you bought a setting that was already made and it takes a 1 ct center stone? Was it her size, too? Does it have diamonds on the shank (band)?

That is a sales ploy. Jewelers call in diamonds all the time. They can't keep them indefinitely but one day is ridiculous.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Call the appraiser and ask if they can do an ASET.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
metatrix|1403043790|3695258 said:
Call the appraiser and ask if they can do an ASET.

You really don't need an ASET on a round. An idealscope image is totally fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, I see now where you mentioned the last stone was from the jeweler. I think you'd really need an idealscope image on that one, so I probably wouldn't bother with it if you or the jeweler don't have one. Here's a very similar stone from James Allen. It is several hundred less before the PS discount. They do provide 3 idealscope images. I think B2C sometimes does as well. Have you asked them? Any of these stones would have to be looked at by the jeweler in order to know if they are eyeclean. So there's no good way to buy one blind.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.96-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-307114

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
You'll save significantly going w/ H SI1 with virtually no loss in anything that matters. The GOG is the best, most cost effective option.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your help guys!

My current plan of action:
1) Calling my local appraisers that PriceScope states will do Idealscope/ASET imaging and find out if they actually do those services.
2) If I find such an appraiser, buy the local stone, take it to the appraiser, get the images see if it is any good.
3) If the local stone is good take it, if not, buy the GOG stone or continue looking.

Criterion for good local stone:
1. Eye-clean
2. Good IdealScope/ASET image
3. Appraised favorably
4. Evaluated to not have any problems due to twinning-wisps.

Reason for going local:
I dont like feathers and am willing to pay a bit more if the local stone (without feathers) is any good. Local stone is in ecxellent proportions metrics-wise and the price is not bad comparably (plus they have the setting so would be good to do business all in one spot).

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
You should only be worried about durability in I1 diamonds and maybe SI2's with feathers on the girdle, where maybe a seasoned gemologist thinks the grade could have gone either way.

Durability is part of the GIA and AGS clarity grade. Diamonds with inclusions that they think might impact durability get graded I1 and lower.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
That is interesting I never knew that.
Would the feathers around the girdle cause a possible loss in eye-clean-ess? Feathers are generally stated as being slightly white in color. I guess then AGS would not rate the Light Performance at 0 in such a case huh?

I never thought diamond shopping could be such a pain. Just when I narrow down to 6 contestants I have to pull back and re-evaluate everythign all over again.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Eye clean SI1's and especially SI2's are harder to find. I think you have great options. #'s 1 and 5 are my favorites.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
teobdl,
What would be your opinion of the cavity in #1?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think anyone can comment authoritatively without inspecting it. It looks very, very small and innocuous (though it's hard to tell from a report), and I personally would have no problem putting money down on it. Also, if it became filled with dirt it would hide in the prongs and faceting nicely.
As far as durability, I mean, seriously, a diamond brute grinder literally pounded and ground it for minutes at a time and the diamond did not explode or crack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMwL9MSDByY
Again, I don't think anyone can really comment without seeing it, but it sounds like you'd bring it in for inspection anyway.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think durability is an issue. The main issues are is it eyeclean and does it have leakage? Your plan is sound as long as the jeweler will let you take the stone to an appraiser without any obligation to keep it if it isn't a great stone. However, if you do like it, I would try to get him down a little on that price. You are already having to pay extra for an appraisal to get the idealscope image that would not be necessary through vendors who have the stone in house or who can access the idealscope image and tell you if it is eyeclean.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Dear PS-ers,

As the days have been counting, I have decided to do the exact opposite of what my original plan was.

I have ordered the 1.01ct H SI1 from B2Cjewels. I just could not pass up such ideal proportions. Here is my thinking.

1. Order the stone (done)
2. Have B2C hold the stone at their facility, at which time they can get ASET and Ideal-scope images and send them to me.
3. Evaluate the Ideal-scope and ASET images before approving the continuation of shipment of the stone to my location.
4. Initial appraisal for insurance during setting
5. Setting
6. Final appraisal

So, I am gong to the bank today to make the wire-transffer. I would really appreciate it if you guys would help me when the ASET images finally come, to evaluate them and help me make a definitive choice as soon as possible on whether to keep the stone or cancel the order and buy #5 from my initial post instead. When I initially inquired B2C about the stone, they emailed me back with "Their expert gemmologist has analysed and assessed this diamond. They have informed us that this is a beautiful eye clean diamond with a clear white face up. Due to these attributes, this diamond sparkles with immense brilliance. This diamond offers great value for money." If the ASET checks out, I may have just found the stone I was looking for all these months!

Thank you again for all your help and please be on the lookout for a post with ASET images within the next few days!

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
They wouldn't give you an Idealscope and ASET until you wired them the money? That's a pain.

Btw, I have never personally heard an online vendor's 'expert gemologist' say anything other than that the diamond is beautiful, eye clean, and immensely sparkly. So, take it with a grain of salt. :)

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
metatrix|1403200593|3696640 said:
They wouldn't give you an Idealscope and ASET until you wired them the money? That's a pain.

Btw, I have never personally heard an online vendor's 'expert gemologist' say anything other than that the diamond is beautiful, eye clean, and immensely sparkly. So, take it with a grain of salt. :)
Beat me to it! Someone unbiased looking at it is handy. Looking forward to seeing the images when they're ready. You'll get some good feedback here.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys!

Yea because the diamond is not actually at B2C but at their supplier, they need the diamond to be bought and shipped to B2C site so B2C can take the images since their supplier does not have such capability. I know their "evaluation by gemologist" is just fluff but if they can give me some good ASET imaging it should help. Plus I will get it checked out by an appraiser here when I get it for insurance purposes who has an ASET and ideal-scope herself so I wil get a trained pair of eyes on it down the line as well. I really hope this one is it! Gone a little over budget but this one looks like it might be worth it.

Actualy B2C sent me a photo of the diamond held by some tweezers, I would love to upload it but am having some trouble with the website on uploading images. any hints? When I click "Import image from server" I get an error message.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
BrilliantDummie said:
Thank you guys!

Yea because the diamond is not actually at B2C but at their supplier, they need the diamond to be bought and shipped to B2C site so B2C can take the images since their supplier does not have such capability. I know their "evaluation by gemologist" is just fluff but if they can give me some good ASET imaging it should help. Plus I will get it checked out by an appraiser here when I get it for insurance purposes who has an ASET and ideal-scope herself so I wil get a trained pair of eyes on it down the line as well. I really hope this one is it! Gone a little over budget but this one looks like it might be worth it.

Actualy B2C sent me a photo of the diamond held by some tweezers, I would love to upload it but am having some trouble with the website on uploading images. any hints? When I click "Import image from server" I get an error message.

Can you please give me the name of the appraiser? I have been looking everywhere for a good appraiser that will do an extensive appraisal along with professional IS and ASET photography (my own scope photos where taken with a shitty old camera with no optical zoom and no tripod). I can't find anyone so far willing to do this for me. It's incredibly frustrating.

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
metatrix,

The two ladies I found here in the Bay Area are:
Nancy Stacy (located in Redwood City)
Carole Richbourg (located in Los Altos)

Both have Ideal-scopes and ASET scopes but I am unsure whether they have hand-held ones or full professional imaging ones.

I am going to use Carole Richbourg's services simply because she is only 20 minutes away from me and Nancy is just too far away to make the drive. When I asked Carole about her ASET tool she replied back with "I have a hand-held ASET tool, as well as a hand-held idealscope, and it is a challenge to get good images from them but not impossible. Unfortunately, the ASET camera software had a glitch, and I have not yet resolved the problem. We can, however, view the diamond from these instruments. My fee for a 1/2 hour consultation is $75.00". Her full appraisal is $225 but the consultation fee will be deducted from the full appraisal.

As far as I could find on Yelp, these two ladies were both highly regarded and very professional. Some bad reviews popped up when people were trying to get estimates for selling their jewelry but those reviews did not hold much merit from my perspective.

You can e-mail or call both and ask for further details, they were both nice to talk to and I felt a sense of knowledge and professionalism even over the phone. Nancy picked up the phone and talked to me for half an hour even after her business hours. Good luck!

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!

Just got the images in!
Should I continue with the purchase of this stone? I am sorry I am unable to upload photos straight to PS. I had to upload them to my GoogleDrive so here are the links.

The ASET image actually looks like it might be slightly worse due to poor imaging technique, but I would love your guys' opinion on this one either way. Ideal-scope looks better I think. I will have an appraiser view it again as well.

Thanks!

Real
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETQkxKcWRkMDVfcG8/edit?usp=sharing

ASET
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETWUN5aGJSOUM5SlE/edit?usp=sharing

Ideal-scope
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7jTVoX2bDETSGZoMUJUNzVPQ2c/edit?usp=sharing

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
I swear I just saw these same images on another post, better pull the trigger if you want this stone. It looks good.
ETA: ok, I just saw that the other thread was indeed, you, so you're safe for now, lol. I thought a lurker swiped your stone!

BrilliantDummie

Rough_Rock
Heh, thanks luvdajewels!

Its actually my own post. I was not getting any hits on this one so I figured I should re-post with a new thread since I am on a bit of a time crunch with the vendor.

I already pulled the trigger and wil have it at home tomorrow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results