• White Face

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Silver Face

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am trying to decide which Rolex face to choose, this has been a hard decision, & I am turning to my PS friends for input. My DH is gifting me the 31mm gold/steel DateJust as a Christmas present.

I have my dress watch & as such, it is beautiful, but I really would like more of an everyday watch.
IMG_0753.jpg
Am looking for multi purpose wear. Jeans, grocery, gym, running around, the daily beater. I am leaning towards the white face, as it's clean & classic. Which is sort of my style, and one I'm most comfortable with. I'm not a 'fast' fashion type of gal.

I've landed on a 31mm, 2 tone. Both the 34 & the 36 are too big, the 28 too small. (My original is a 26mm gifted to me by DH in 1999.) So now, would like to get a more everyday watch & put the stainless/diamond bezel on the shelf for more dressier occasions.

But can't decide on the face for the new watch. I'm between both options, having narrowed down to these 2: the white face or the silver face. Had a hot & passionate dance with the green face, but decided it's just not 'me'. If anything, am leaning towards the white face.

Would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

The white face:
Image 12-18-19 at 9.08 AM.jpg

The silver face:
m278273-0004.png

2nd Runner up Green Face but didn't make the cut:
m278273-0016.png

The thing I like about the silver face is the diamond 6. The white face is clean & will go with everything, I love it also. But it doesn't have the snazziness that the silver face has with that diamond 6. I think the 6 embellished like that dresses it up just a tad. But then I revert back to that clean classic white face. I love the simplicity & casualness of it.

What does everyone think? Would love to hear from you Rolex enthusiasts as well! @Dancing Fire @LLJsmom @Tonks @MissGotRocks @cflutist

Thanks & Merry Christmas & Happy New year everyone!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you are going for 2 tone look, oyster style bracelet is a more of an everyday style rather than jubilee bracelet. Same thought on fluted bezel vs plain bezel.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The silver face! Classy!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the second one with the diamond six. Just a little bit different and with extra bling.
i just find the white face “too safe and boring”. Go for a bit of extra zing.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
I like the silver face as well.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To quote Bron357, I’d go for the safe and boring one, timeless classic IMVHO :lol:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Team white face! I always favor a cleaner, crisper look when it comes to watches. (might be a little easier to read, too)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
White gets my vote, but I love the green!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with the silver face with diamond markers because I wanted a truly two toned watch. I still love the look!

However, the white face is very clean and might be easier to read. The white face adds another color to the mix and might lend itself to a sportier look.

Between the two, you truly can't go wrong as they are both beautiful looks. I am a bit partial to the diamond 6 though - an interesting touch!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have a really hard time deciding. I love them equally. It sounds like you are leaning towards the white one. From how you described your style it sounds like the white may be the best choice. They are both beautiful @sarahb. You really can’t go wrong with either one.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for white. I have a 26 mm datejust with a champagne face and it is almost impossible to read. That experience gives me legibility concerns with the silver (though i will note i have not owned a rhodium face). Everything I have read about white faces is that they are extremely easy to read. The white face Daytona even commands a premium for that reason!

The white you have posted is a classic and it is beautiful. I think you would love it!

Great choices all around—I am excited for you!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d have a really hard time deciding. I love them equally. It sounds like you are leaning towards the white one. From how you described your style it sounds like the white may be the best choice. They are both beautiful @sarahb. You really can’t go wrong with either one.

This. Both sweet.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my word you guys this is so crazy hard! Thank you all so much for your comments, and your food for thought. I appreciate you all taking the time to post during this incredibly busy time!!

@baby monster, thank you so much for your thoughts. You don't know this, but I had a 31mm stainless oyster bracelet/smooth bezel (the bezel had scattered diamonds on it). I felt that bracelet looked too clunky on my wrist & opted to trade it in on the 31mm stainless/diamond watch I have now. I do think an Oyster bracelet looks great on certain models, like the spot watches. But for me I just thought the Jubilee is a better choice.

@AprilBaby We are going to the AD in our area tomorrow who has the 31 silver face to try it on to confirm/rule out. Just now as I scanned this thread, I stopped at that silver face & thought, 'oh my, I like it' and now back on the fence as I was solidly in the white face camp. Maybe I should just wait awhile. But to be honest, I've been riding this fence for far too long now & am sort of tired of it. :lol: But I know this, I will not buy until I know FOR SURE.

@Bron357 You've echo'ed my thoughts exactly! The only sliver of doubt I have about that white face is it might become boring. I agree, the silver has a bit more personality to it. & I also love that 6.

@Miss Marple You know, another thought I had is that silver face can look light enough to not appear too dark to my eye. I hope we can make some progress tomorrow when I can try it on. I'll report back.

@Austina .... I love your YVHO! :lol: I know, me too!

@OdetteOdile, @nala I love that whiteface too, it feels like a worn in pair of jeans to me. Cozy & comfortable and even an hour ago told hubs it's 98% the ONE. Then I scroll this thread & see the silver face, & I start back at ground zero again... :roll:

@KristyDarling that was the exact same sentiment that drew me to the white face. I like a classic, clean look (to everything in my life), & the white will go with anything from jammies to Saturday nights out & anything in between.

@Bonfire @nala That green face is gorgeous on, absolutely stunning. Especially with the 18k gold. But I decided it was just a bit too busy & that I'd tire of it quickly. But oh, it is beautiful!

@MissGotRocks Oh, how I wish the diamond markers were avail on a white face in the 31, I have that combo on my 26, & altho its a cute watch, I need something a bit larger. I'll have to go back & re-examine the diamond markers, again. My thoughts today are that I think I want the roman numerals on this new watch. But those diamond markers are a classic look as well!

@Calliecake Callie, I think you are right, they are both beautiful watches and again, I agree, neither one would be a 'bad' choice. Tomorrow's visit to see the silver face will either confirm or rule out the white face. I hope I can make progress with the decision!

@Tonks Thank you for replying. Your input re legibility of white vs silver is something I need to strongly consider. One of the main reasons I like that white face is that it is such a classic style. Am going to visit the silver face tomorrow morning & will report back.

@canuk-gal Hi Sharon, thanks for your vote, its a tough decision! Hope you are doing ok & the temps aren't too brutal this winter.

One of our AD's in town has a 31mm silver faced 2 tone, (the exact watch above) and we are going to go try it on tomorrow. I'm excited to do so. I'll post back with pics & let you all know my thoughts. In the meantime, thank you all again for chiming in & joining me on this journey!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Silver. Classic and will go with everything. White is lovely too but the silver seems warmer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said it didn't make the cut, but I strongly prefer the green dial.
I'd love a blue or red too.

I still wear the gold dial 31mm S&G Datejust I bought in the 80s, all original.
Nice watches.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in my day I was aware of only 3 sizes, men's, women's and mid-size.
I thought of them as, boat-anchor, too small to see, and just right.

Actually, being gay, the size between men's and women's seemed perfect. :lol:

Last edited:

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Silver

Rolex’s white face doesn’t sing to me, I find it too porcelain white but that’s just me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them both but I think I would choose the white one. It's a classic and it's fresh and bright and timeless. A beautiful watch. But having written that you cannot go wrong with either. They are both beautiful. However if it were me choosing I would choose the white face. Another bonus is the white face appears easier to read and my old eyes need all the help they can get lol.

Excited to see what you choose and what a wonderful gift from your DH. Happy holidays dear @sarahb and sending you warm (((hugs))).

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it was for me I would go with the silver face. Classic, beautiful and a little touch of sparkle. That said, this is your watch so you have to go with what makes your heart sing. It sounds like that is the white face.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have the white face, Roman numerals and oyster bracelet. Love it.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you took pictures today! I am excited to see what you thought of the silver face, and if it helped you to decide which one you would like.

Reactions: prs

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually my favorite was the green but I knew that was not in the running. I love the white diamond dial!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so we just got home. We were out almost the entire day. Decided to get a quick bite to eat at one of our local spots. I love this restaurant, it has the most comfortable bar shaped in a horse shoe shape. Everyone is so friendly & its just a nice place to sit, talk & relax after the day. We ate dinner. & across this bar sat a gal with what looked to be a brand new silver faced Rolex with what I think were diamond markers! I looked as much as I could with out being obvious, but still couldn't tell if it was a 31 or a 28, hunch says its a 31. But it looked great. She had it stacked with all kinds of brackets, & kept thinking, oh my--this thing is getting scratched to high heavens! Yikes. So that little sighting had me double & triple checking my decision all over again!

So, our visit this am to visit one of the AD's in town. Who had a fantastic selection. I loved the silver face, it was very nice, looked great on my wrist, etc. It is a gorgeous watch.. But my mind just isn't letting go of that white faced watch! So, we walked next door to have lunch & think about it. @prs, I love the combo you posted & actually have that exact combination in a 26mm, it is a classic look IMHO. But they don't make that combo in a 31mm! So here we are. Thank you for posting it!

Of course, I took some pics!

IMG_4657.jpeg IMG_4658.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg IMG_4662.jpeg IMG_4663.jpeg
We've known this jewelry store owner for many years, he sold DH my original 26mm in 1999 before he opened his own store. He is nice enough to keep the 31 silver aside for us while we wait for the white face to come in so I shop both side by side. There's just something about that white face that I just love. I think that's the one I like the best. I took some pics, & wore my 26mm so I could have a white face to compare. The jeweler said it'd be in, in a few weeks. I'm excited to be able to get my hands on that watch & am very thankful he agreed to hold the silver so I can make sure once the white comes in. I can't wait!!

I must give kudos to DH: he's been extremely patient with this equivocation & decision process. We all know that it can take months if not years for some of us to get to the point of purchase. I thank everyone for your thoughts & input, its been very helpful as I think through everything!

Although I'm feeling 99% sure of my choice, there is still the outside chance that once that white face comes in & I am able to try it on next to the silver, I may change my mind. But that's where we are of today, Dec 21st!

Merry Christmas & warm wishes for a wonderful Holiday to everyone!!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@facetgirl, this is such a tough decision! If only I had a money tree in the backyard, I'd get the white, silver & green! Now wouldn't that be a Christmas to remember!:lol:

@kenny, dang it, he had that exact green watch & I forgot to take a pic! It was absolutely gorgeous... but impractical, ykwim? It's like falling in love with the Volvo coupe convertible, when you have 4 kids to cart around. That green face though, as gorgeous as it was, :lickout:would not be as adaptable as the white or the silver. Just my impression, of course!

@Missie1, your watch looks gorgeous! I couldn't sport a 36, it would swim on me! But the clean look of that white face is very pleasing to my eye!

@licinda818, I loved the look of that silver face on the gal sitting across that bar, she looked so chic! & its a fantastic looking watch. But that white face I think has a stronger call for my name. In this decision, we're talking degrees of difference, its that close....

@missy, how are you dear one...and is it true? Are you celebrating yet? Is RW Gate really coming to an end? Gosh, I hope so, after everything you've been through! I agree, the white is a classic look, & as such, you can't go wrong with it at all. I'm crossing my fingers & toes for you that everything continues in this positive direction! A very Merry Christmas to you & the kitties & a Happy New Year!

@Catmom, thank you for your reply, & yes that silver dial is gorgeous too. As I said up thread, we're talking minor degrees of weight with this decision. I love the white face just a tiny teeny bit more than the silver face. But that silver face, yum!!!

@rocks, I think we're in the same boat :) thanks for your response & thought. I can't wait to see it!!

@prs, thanks again for chiming in with your recommendation, I love that watch!! Its too bad they don't make that white face with diamond markers for the 31mm!!

@rainydaze The visit was totally worth it. I wish he had the white one in stock, that would've been the perfect scenario. If anything, I was actually surprised at how much I liked the silver! I'll be sure to update when the white face arrives.

@AprilBaby, yep, that green face sure was sweet--especially with the 18k gold, but totally impracticable IMHO. Another reason I like the white, it's so adaptable & goes with everything. The silver would too, but I like the crispness of that white dial. It's a timeless piece.

@cflutist I love that watch as well. Instead of trading it in, have decided to keep it!

Everyone have a great holiday & Merry Christmas! Swam 1/2 mile today & am pooped! Thank you all for your input & sharing your thoughts!:wavey::wavey:

PS: Jack had his 15th Birthday yesterday, he's a very good boy!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results