shape
carat
color
clarity

Which profile do you like best? (and why?)

Which profile do you like the best? (and why?)

• 1) A. Jaffe 1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3) Jeff Cooper

• 5) Simon G w/ 3 sided-pave as shown

• 6) Simon G without 3 sided pave

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tmdblue

Rough_Rock
I liked the A. Jaffe #1 the best because of it''s clean lines and it''s rounded side profile of the prongs. I feel that the lines lend themselves more so to a round brilliant other wise I would think that perhaphs A. Jaffe #2 would look better for something like a princess or another angular cut. The Jeff Copper was nice but busier than it needed to be. The last one (can''t remember the designer''s name) seems like the pave with a 3 stones might have been overkill IMHO
5.gif
. I''m a classic simplicity type of woman.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks to everyone for their votes and replies!

I am still not totally decided, and hopefully this week is the week I will finally get DH out to a store to see some of them. I think I can safely eliminate A. Jaffe 2 as being the "loser" of my poll
3.gif
, and also the Jeff Cooper was never a huge contender, and I kind of wish I'd left it out of the poll, because I'd be curious where those 9 votes would have gone had I not included it! I just prefer being able to see more of the side of the diamonds, and also that profile was a bit too loopy or busy for me.

As for the others it's tough to say. The Scott Kay is the one I've seen and tried on the most. There is not much to not like about it; it's very pretty. Maybe I will attach a closer-up picture of that here. Anyway, my main 'complaints' about that one would be, I don't like the pinched shank (I am not a pinched or knife-edge shank girl at all for some reason), nor the way the "pinch" approached the outer of the side diamonds. Also, as Lizz pointed out, there is something about it that is a bit too 'fan' like; although it is very pretty, a nagging little voice says "if I get this, will that 'weird fan' look start to bother me?" (I thought this long ago, long before I started this poll.) Also, I think there is more open space under the side diamonds and they sit a little higher than need be (partly due to how large the surprise diamond is on it. The A Jaffe 1 and Simon G seemed to sit a little lower without that unnecessary open space, if that makes any sense.

Actually, despite its only getting 9 votes total (if you combine with and without pave), the Simon G ring was really pretty in person. I know it's hard to tell from just a zerox picture. My main reservations about it were, the prongs are really thick, and I like delicate prongs. Even from the top view, the tops of the prongs were really too big to me! (Especially when I compared it to the A Jaffe 1) AND, all along I have been leaning away from pave, mostly because it is not as clean and sparkly a look as the bigger diamonds. I kept thinking I would go with a more clean look. But when I saw the Simon G, the pave looks nice, and does give it that old-fashioned touch which I like. And a little more pizazz, like Sundial said. So the jury is still out on the pave, because I also worry, does it make it too busy? as some said. Might have to let DH be the deciding vote on that one after he sees it in person! But I think another thing that I liked about it was the U shape of the prongs, and the way the overall ring looks more round. The A Jaffe 1 has more of a square look, not just because of the bottom of the shank, but the top part too, where the diamonds are. There is something about the overall round shape of the profile on the Simon G that I think I like better than the A Jaffe 1 'square shoulders' so to speak. For what it's worth, the 2 salesladies who helped me at the store prefer the Simon G over the A Jaffe 1, although that could be because of its heftier pricetag!!
2.gif

So you see I am a nitpicker, and what is quite likely is I might have something custom made that combines the best elements of these. That's why I appreciate all the comments, because they do help a lot.

Below shows the top of the Scott Kay profile. It really is nice, but this picture might show how there is more open space below the diamonds, I think more than the A Jaffe 1 and Simon G. Not that big a deal, but just an observation.

SK 5stone top.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I might as well post a similar close-up of the top of the A Jaffe 1, just for closer comparison.

A Jaffe 1 close top.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
And this one totally might not be worth it, as being a life-size xerox copy, the resolution might be terrible, plus it might be small, and it''s crooked!, but here goes the Simon G:

top of Simon G.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey OFG....I'm glad you've narrowed it down. You're right that sometimes the detail of more intricate pieces gets lost during the translation to photo, and then to Web. The Simon G may very well be stunning in person - it's just hard to tell online. The simpler pieces seem to translate more easily to Web.

That said, I still really like 1 and 4, pretty much equally. If the height of the Scott Kay bothers you, I'm sure you can request that the diamonds be set lower. I'm a big fan of low-set diamonds and i think these two settings would look great if the diamonds are lower.

ETA: I actually like the fan-like shape of the SK. It's very cool. Then again, I also like the step-wise shape of the AJaffe. Argh, I just like too many things!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I like #1 so much more than any other that I won''t even say it was hard to choose one to vote for!

There is just something awkward about the flow of #4, to me. #1 just feels right.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, too, for those of you who answered the poll, or anyone: Do these styles look classic, timeless, or modern, or what? Let''s say, the A. Jaffe #1, Scott Kay, and also the Simon G?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
To me -- the side-baring profile is more "modern" and not classic or timeless. I think it's kinda "now". That's maybe why I haven't voted ... My center stone shows a lot of "side" action, but so many of them exposed like that makes me "isshy" (read: anxious)..

The side "hole" in the A Jaffe and the Fan one ... where the prongs meet the ring looks weird to me too - like it would clog up with finger muck between cleanings.

I dunno - I guess five stone is not up my alley!

ETA: of the final three -- I like the xeroxed Simon G the best, no "side hole", stones fit more snugly in and the whole thing seems more INTEGRATED. And blingy.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO....

Simon G = most timeless, since it is a vintage-inspired piece
Scott Kay = a bit more modern due to surprise diamond, sleek flow of the fan shape.
A Jaffe #1 = most modern-looking. The flattish 2-dimensional looking prongs (they don't look fully rounded in the pics) give it a very modern edge.

That said, all three are still classic styles overall and I doubt they'd ever go out of style. There's nothing *overtly trendy* about them. But, there are little details that give SK and AJ1 a contemporary feel.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I like #4 (Scott Kay)...it almost looks like a flower!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted & KristyDarling, thanks so much for your comments! They are almost as much if not more valuable to me than the poll results! I almost wish I'd asked that sort of question, rather than "which do you like". deco's comments may indeed be why I am leaning toward the Simon G anyway. (plus Kristy's "Simon G = most timeless, since it is a vintage-inspired piece") Because I am always sort of torn: I like a clean look, and maybe somewhat antique-looking, and it seems like things are one or the other. Likewise I like timeless & classic, but without being too common.
And I like the open side profile because you get to see the diamonds, but also wondered how "modern" it looked, so anyway,... I do appreciate Kristy's comments that "all three are still classic styles overall and I doubt they'd ever go out of style. There's nothing *overtly trendy* about them." From the top down, at least, they do all seem pretty classic and basic, so I like the side view to add some uniqueness and interest, but don't want it to come out looking modern. Hmmm... We'll see what DH thinks of any of them, hopefully later this week!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results