shape
carat
color
clarity

Which profile do you like best? (and why?)

Which profile do you like the best? (and why?)

• 1) A. Jaffe 1

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3) Jeff Cooper

• 5) Simon G w/ 3 sided-pave as shown

• 6) Simon G without 3 sided pave

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock

After putting my setting project on the shelf now for about a month (long story why), I am going to try to get it done! So here is hopefully

2.gif
one of my last polls about the setting. I actually threw in a few options that I already have probably ruled out, but thought I might keep 'em in anyway... Any comments are welcome and appreciated as usual. Although please spare me the "you have to get what YOU like..." because I know that and I will in the end. I just like hearing what you PS'ers have to say, and sometimes you give me some very helpful insights. PLUS, I don't always go with the majority winners of my polls anyway!!
3.gif
Also, DH hasn't seen any of these yet, so when I finally get to drag him out to stores to see them in person, who knows, I might change my mind again!!

So anyway, here goes. Sorry the pictures aren't all the same size. I had to make do with what I have. If it's really unclear, I could try to post one again. Also, the Simon G was just from a xerox copy of the actual ring, so it's got sort of a disadvantage; the others are photographs.

1) A. Jaffe 1
2) A. Jaffe 2
3) Jeff Cooper
4) Scott Kay
5) Simon G with 3 sided-pave
6) no picture, but try to imagine the Simon G with a smooth shank, without the pave
(I threw that last option in, partly because I am more interested here in what you think of the prong part; I do have to decide about the pave, but it throws another variable in here. If you like that one because of the pave, it would be good if you mention that. Thanks!!)

various ring profiles.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 or 2
I like clean designs that aren''t busy.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe I was the first voter - so weird to see 100% of results on the one I chose!
3.gif

I voted for the Simon G with pave. Because a) I''m a pave girl
9.gif
but mainly, b) I just like that prong shape the best!

For some reason the Scott Kay & the first A Jaffe just make me a little nervous. I think it''s because it looks like ONE side of the sidestones is so nicely cupped but the other side is so totally expose. I''m sure they''re actually just as secure as any other setting type but they make me worry that the sidestones would just slip right out. Purely psychological, but that''s just the vibe I''m getting from them for whatever reason. Meaning: I think they LOOK pretty, but I would be anxious all the time if I had one.

I think my next favorite would be the second A Jaffe, just very simple and classic. I love love love the trellis setting for a solitaire, three stone, or 5 stone band, but somehow the way it is in the Jeff Cooper just looks a little too busy for me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3! I like how much higher the center stone sits than the sidestones. Also, I love that profile view because the trellis is all intertwined. I think it adds visual interest and is a nice contrast to the clean shank.

darling

Shiny_Rock

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I like #1 by far above the others! It''s just the right angles and not too busy. The second Jaffe really doesn''t sit well with me...I don''t like the center prongs or how straight the side stones angle out. The Jeff Cooper is just too many loops for me. My second choice would be the Scott Kay #4...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Jeff cooper. I''m not a big surprise diamond fan but do like the SK but after seeing Dee Jay''s Jeff Cooper pics I loved it...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to vote for #1 but I voted for #4 because the diamonds are tilted a bit so you''ll get those flashes of light from more than one angle and not just have them all oriented face up... plus I love that little diamond in the center on the profile :) I definitely like the settings that show the whole stone from the side vs the basket bar... which is weird because I love baskets on solitaires LOL

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the comments so far! I will admit that I agree with albicocca, FacetFire, & Cehrabehra about the Jeff Cooper. Although it did look prettier in DeeJay's pictures than it does on that stock photo, (and I like its price at Pearlman's!), it is sort of loopy and I too like seeing the whole side of the diamond in the others. Also the transition from the trellis to the rest of the shank isn't very flowing. Plus it's the one ring I won't be able to show DH in person, since it's not at a local store.
All of your comments are appreciated - the comments about the angle that the side diamonds face out are very helpful!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2006 5:12:55 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl
Thanks for all the comments so far! I will admit that I agree with albicocca, FacetFire, & Cehrabehra about the Jeff Cooper. Although it did look prettier in DeeJay''s pictures than it does on that stock photo, (and I like its price at Pearlman''s!), it is sort of loopy and I too like seeing the whole side of the diamond in the others. Also the transition from the trellis to the rest of the shank isn''t very flowing. Plus it''s the one ring I won''t be able to show DH in person, since it''s not at a local store.

All of your comments are appreciated - the comments about the angle that the side diamonds face out are very helpful!

OFG, just tell Bill your interested, he''ll send it to you to look at in person and doesn''t charge any shipping...

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
#1 My favorite
#4 Very close second choice
Actually it''s a toss up between the two.

I like them because of the angles of the diamonds and the height of the center stone compared to the side stones. The design flows nicely from sides to center.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like number one the best! The profile is so clean and really showcases the stones well. A Jaffe''s are so reasonably priced as well.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
another reason I like the scott kay is because the diamonds are all fairly flush because of the tilt of them and I''m a big fan of not having something sticking out to catch on things! I know it''s a popular style, but I''m a practical person in some ways LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scott Kay. It looks the best IMHO.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i voted for 1 but i like 1, 4 and 5.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having recently looked at the 3 stone Scott Kay, I think it is gorgeous. So I vote for the SK #4.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
A. Jaffe 1. I like how you can see the whole diamond from the sides. Also, I like the "swoopy" things the best. The Scott Kay goes out like a weird fan or something. JMO.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
All of these seem quite nice, but I voted for #5 the Simon G with pave because I like that look and it adds a little pizzazz to the design. My second choice would be the A Jaffe #1. It is just sort of a classic and I like the "U" shape of the prongs. It makes a nice side profile.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 love it but also like #4.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

#1, #4 (in that order)

cheers--Sharon

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I remember seeing an ad for the Scott Kay in a magazine and loving it. I considered that setting enough to go and look at it in person and it was gorgeous.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I voted for #2.

shay

suzi

Shiny_Rock
I voted for #4 because I thought overall it had a more well integrated look than the other choices. The design just seemed to flow better. And I also love the suprise diamond.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the continuing replies! They are very helpful. Since the poll only lets you choose one, I appreciate when people say what their tie vote(s) or second choice would have been etc...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any thoughts on which one you think you will pick old-fashioned girl? They are all lovely settings.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was REALLY hard to decide between 1 and 4. I ended up voting for 1. What gave it the slight edge was that the side diamonds are set in a step-wise pattern, which I found pretty unusual and interesting. The SK is set so that each diamond is flush with the next, giving it a very smooth profile. I think the SK is gorgeous too. Personally, I''d be happy with either, but if I HAD to choose, I''d go with the one that has a slightly unusual detail!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
#1 got my vote.

DillPickle

Rough_Rock
#4 The profile lines seem to flow better to me.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2006 5:32:50 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Any thoughts on which one you think you will pick old-fashioned girl? They are all lovely settings.
Not much time to type at the moment, but I can at least say for now that 2) A Jaffe 2 and 3) Jeff Cooper are probably out of the running. More later....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results