shape
carat
color
clarity

Which platinum alloy does David Klass use?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know?
I would ask him myself but I've been sending him so many emails I honestly don't want to be any more annoying than I suspect I already am...

Also - is there a colour difference between the various platinum alloys? I have a wedding band that is stamped PLAT and when I try on modern platinum rings in my local jewellery stores they always seem more grey and mine seems almost more creamy?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh. Good question. I’ve had him make me several platinum rings and I just went back to my emails to check and he never says. I never asked either.
I will say they have held up very nicely imo.

starbrite

Shiny_Rock
David told me that he uses 95 percent platinum & 5 percent iridium, nothing else in the metal.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
David told me that he uses 95 percent platinum & 5 percent iridium, nothing else in the metal.

To be sold as platinum it must by laws be minimum 95%. That is why there is little chance for the other 5% to change color, just working and durability properties.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I just had him make a platinum ring for me. He used 950 ruthenium. He told me this after everything was said and done, I had forgotten to insist on it! I only do the 950 with ruthenium or 900 with iridium, preferring the former.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I don't believe there is a lot of color variation in platinum alloys - just hardness and toughness options.
What you see is probably more about the difference between worn, polished and rhodium plated versions.

Hi Garry, what do you reckon about the colour differences here?
The engraved band is my wedding ring which is stamped PLAT. The diamond ring is a typical example of a platinum ring I find in stores. I always find them a darker grey than my wedding ring.

95145A84-7F77-4357-93E6-F0390DBA043E.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry, what do you reckon about the colour differences here?
The engraved band is my wedding ring which is stamped PLAT. The diamond ring is a typical example of a platinum ring I find in stores. I always find them a darker grey than my wedding ring.

95145A84-7F77-4357-93E6-F0390DBA043E.jpeg

There is something strange in your photo - lower right side.
That dark grey can not be platinum - see the hard border between dark and light on the right lower side????

1686187247179.png

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
There is something strange in your photo - lower right side.
That dark grey can not be platinum - see the hard border between dark and light on the right lower side????

1686187247179.png

I think that's just the reflection of my next finger.
I notice this colour difference with rings from different places that are all described as platinum.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm wearing a platinum ring right now and I do see what you mean about the reflection. I just took a quick photo with my phone. Do you think the band, vs. the solitaire is showing more reflection off your fingers and therefore looks "creamier"? It may be catching more of the reflection from your skin and it is lower than the solitaire so blocking some of the reflection on that. My ring is by DK.
IMG_6106.JPG

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neither of these photos are able to show the true metal color. You need soft diffused light and a white or mid gray background and none of the room and people reflections you are all getting.
Put a hole is a sheet of white paper and stick it to your phone can help.
What we see with 2 eyes and our minds ability to 'remove' unwanted parts of an image are way past AI possibilities!

tHE IMAGE AND TEXT BELOW ARE COPIED FROM:
https://files.octonus.com/documents/GAA_Journal_V25_No3_Sept2013_V5.pdf
Information maximisation principle Besides the situation when one facet is white for one eye and another facet is dark for the other eye, there are many other cases when the brain receives unequal and often contradictory information from each eye. In these cases it is not obvious how the brain forms the final image. One of these cases is when only one eye sees glare across an entire facet caused by external reflection. Let us consider an example of a diamond photographed as a stereo pair in ViBox using a stereo adapter. In Fig. 3.9 left, the table of a round diamond does not contain an external fleck, so the left eye sees all virtual facets under the table. At the same time the right eye sees a fleck in the diamond’s table (area ‘A’). The question is: if the right eye sees a glare and the left eye sees several virtual facets in the same place, what will the brain see? It is paradoxical, but when the diamond is stationary in a stereo image a human does not see the external glare on a table, but sees the facets under it. This means that in this part of the image the picture in the brain is created based on the information that the left eye receives. If we analyse the area marked with ‘B’ in Fig. 3.9, in stereo observation a human will see the more informative area, which the left eye sees. That is, in this example part of the image in the brain is inherited from the left eye image, and the other part – from the right eye image. It would be incorrect to say that one eye always dominates. Based on viewing diamond stereo movies and special model stereo principle tests, we have arrived at the conclusion that vision works in accordance with a so called information maximisation principle: that is the brain chooses images from each eye that contain the maximum information about the object and generates the final image based on these. In the case of a static image the information maximisation principle works in such a way that the brain does not see the large glare on the table but sees a complex pattern of virtual facets. In motion the glare’s informational weight increases, especially at the moment when it suddenly appears in sight. That is why in case of a moving gem the brain will see the glare on the table instead of small virtual facets and will continue seeing it for some time. In the case of long observation of the glare, the brain may 'switch' back to small virtual facets. Brilliance that emerges for the same facet
1686200793033.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results