• 5 stone diamond shared prong band

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • .70ct solitaire in a simple halo type setting

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone, I hope I'm posting this in the right place...I apologize in advance if it's not.

I thought it would be fun to seek others opinions about favorite ring styles. I'm going to list my top four choices, and would like to see which one would be the most popular choice among you. These are styles that are my favorites, and can't decide on which is my absolute favorite. Let's assume all diamonds involved are near-colorless, well-cut, eye-clean, round brilliants. ;-)

(Please consider the statements below before voting, as I don't have pics for examples.)

The 3 stone would be like the one in my avatar
The 1 ct solitaire would mean selling my current 3 stone or trading it in for a 1 ct.
The 5 stone band would be worn in place of the 3 stone as a stand-alone, probably 1.5 ctw
The .70ct solitaire in a halo setting would be using my current center stone in my avatar ring and picking a very nice setting

I appreciate and value your opinions!!! Thanks in advance!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a hard choice because these options are definitely going to be at very different price points! For example, a 3 stone ring (say it's .90 center with .30 sides for 1.5ctw) is going to cost a good bit more than a 5 stone ring (.30 each, 1.5 ctw). The least expensive option is going to be using your current center stone and just buying a halo setting.

So I am going to say that if money was not object, I'd choose the 1.5 ctw 3 stone ring because it would be the most valuable of the choices. I'm not really sure you'd gain anything over your current ring by going to a 5 stone with 30 pointers. You'd gain size appearance with the halo without spending a lot. And I don't see you gaining a lot by going for a 1 ct. solitaire unless you have tiny fingers (since you have been used to the finger coverage of a 3 stone). I might vote solitaire if we were talking about a larger size, though.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Diamondseeker, for your opinion! I feel the same about the 1ct solitaire, that I wouldn't be gaining much, except a different look. My hardest choice is deciding to go with a halo or keep my three stone. If I did go with a halo, I would want something very simple, but substantial. I like the look of the halos that have just a frame of small diamonds around the center, with a smooth, round, edging, as to protect the small diamonds, and maybe a plain shank, for durability. Would this be a style that is a classic to you? As for the 5 stone, I love that section of SMTR too! Just something so elegant about that simple look to me.

ETA: My center stone is .70ct with .40ct on each side for reference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both the 3 stone and 5 stone are more classic and timeless. I think a simple halo can be very pretty, but I am not certain that they will be in style forever. However, if you changed your mind about the halo later, you could always put a colored stone in that setting and do something else for the e-ring/wedding band. It's a hard decision, I know! It would be nice to have them all! :bigsmile:

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I'd LOVE to have them all! BTW, your solitaire is TDF! The cut is awesome!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 5 stone band (.8ish ctw) and a lot of days I dont even put on my engagement ring. 1.5 would be great finger coverage too!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Tyty,
I love the band in your avatar! ( It looks larger than .80ctw to me :) ) Plenty substantial enough on it's own, while looking great with your ER! I love the thought of just popping on a nice sparkly band on days that you want a more simple look. I have a smaller one in the .60ish range that I wear as a RH anniversary ring, but would love to upgrade it a bit to wear on my left hand alone sometimes.

ETA: Just took another look at those U-prong five stones, WOW!!! Gotta love that profile!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
I decided to keep my 3 stone the way it is for now. Although my favorite way to wear it is alone, I did buy a new little diamond band to wear with it sometimes. :) After trying on halos, I sadly decided they are not for me. I also tried on some nice 5 stone rings and fell in love! I NEED one of those!!! Here is a pic of my 3 stone with the new band.

set1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you set looks lovely!! very classic and beautiful...

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
...forgot to add the details! It's in a 14kt white gold, shared prong setting, .35ctw. It's about 3mm wide, and I think I'll enjoy stacking it with other band rings for fun as well. I liked it mostly because the gold extends just a tad past the diamonds, so no worries about the little diamonds scratching my ER. It's a half eternity, with 15 little diamonds.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo|1308625347|2950770 said:
you set looks lovely!! very classic and beautiful...

Thank you so much, MrsSalvo!

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
So, now I'm looking at a very simple halo setting, and I would love your opinions about it. :) I'm just loving the idea of a larger solitaire, but buying one is not an option right now, so, I'm really loving the look of the simple halo for my diamond.

I found one I like on the James Allen site that is very reasonably priced I think at $895, Style #17155W.

I love the thin band and plain shank, and the fact the halo is so small, just simple, to create the "look" I want. I'm most concerned with the small amount of pave. Do you all feel that this type of setting would be "fragile", I mean, would I have to take EXTRA care not to lose a diamond? I am pretty cautious with my jewelry, and would never do yard work or anything like that with my ring on. I do, however, work in an office environment and may occasionally bump it every now and again, but that's it. Do you feel this would be durable enough for normal everyday wear to work? Also, if I did lose a diamond, is this type setting hard to repair?

I still love my 3 stone, but just can't shake the "need" to change up my look. I'm sure you guys understand...lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results