shape
carat
color
clarity

Which mattress is least toxic?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, @Phoenix! :wavey: It's nice to see you!

We get all our mattresses from Custom Comfort mattresses. They're hand made by the company on site and the one I buy is 100% cotton. It's INCREDIBLY comfortable and I love it! Their mattresses are also double sided, like mattresses used to be.

I love these mattresses - expensive but worth every penny.

Lovely to see you too, @mrs-b.

I looked them up. I'd LOVE to buy from them. Unfortunately, I don't think they ship to Singapore. I shall send them an email to ask if they would.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add - I have an organic wool and cotton futon mattress that I tried before getting a latex one. You can smell the wool. I think it took about 2 weeks for it to not smell anymore. Also, because it’s a futon mattress - the edges of the mattress were not totally flat but had a bit of a raise/bump that went all over. This I found uncomfortable when used as a bed (but not noticeable when on the futon).

OMG. I guess they smell of sheep? I did wonder about that.

Noted about the edges. I think that may annoy me too.

Thanks for letting me know.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG. I guess they smell of sheep? I did wonder about that.

Noted about the edges. I think that may annoy me too.

Thanks for letting me know.

Don't think it smells of sheep. The wool is heavily washed, it might actually smell of the stuff it's been washed with.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Don't think it smells of sheep. The wool is heavily washed, it might actually smell of the stuff it's been washed with.

When you buy organic wool with no fire retardants, and certified as organic, they do not bleach or use any chemicals on the wool. They do wash it with what is approved under the different certification regulations (GOTS etc ). In my case, it smelled heavily of organic matter - couldn’t necessarily say sheep. It wasn’t a faul smell by any means, but definitely noticeable. It didn’t small like a sheep but I would get small hints of farm if that makes any sense. Not a chemical smell.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you buy organic wool with no fire retardants, and certified as organic, they do not bleach or use any chemicals on the wool. They do wash it with what is approved under the different certification regulations (GOTS etc ). In my case, it smelled heavily of organic matter - couldn’t necessarily say sheep. It wasn’t a faul smell by any means, but definitely noticeable. It didn’t small like a sheep but I would get small hints of farm if that makes any sense. Not a chemical smell.
Interesting, there are no soap, no chems soaps so I thought that's how it was done.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Another thought - for the kids, because they needed something firm when babies , I use mattresses with coconut coir. For theirs , it’s latex on the outside and coconut coir in the middle instead of coil. Although, they can also use wool or cotton instead of the latex. I have slept with them on those mattresses and they are very firm but comfortable. They did not have any smells. I don’t have a brand suggestion because I have only ordered these in toddler sizes but a quick google search revealed that many companies are now making them.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely to see you too, @mrs-b.

I looked them up. I'd LOVE to buy from them. Unfortunately, I don't think they ship to Singapore. I shall send them an email to ask if they would.

Thank you.

Sorry @Phoenix- I wasn't sure if you wanted the mattress for the US or for Singapore. And no, I don't think they will ship o/s either. :(

danusia

Rough_Rock

My DD purchased a mattress from this company when she ordered her new bedroom furniture. Apparently hand made. She has allergies and is very happy with her choice (she also encased her entire mattress in a special mattress cover).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, really? What does glass smell like?

No it's not!

It's environmental illness.

Good point -- you could sleep on an odorless cotton-candy cloud of pink fiberglass insulation. Mmmmm...soft :whistle:

For environmental illness, there is a big difference between asbestos exposure, say, and the "smell" of a mattress.

On a population basis, the deadliest environmental exposures are probably automotive exhaust and combustion products from household cooking -- yet almost no one complains of those. What people think is hurting them and what is actually hurting them are often two very different things.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My DD purchased a mattress from this company when she ordered her new bedroom furniture. Apparently hand made. She has allergies and is very happy with her choice (she also encased her entire mattress in a special mattress cover).
They look great.

I've emailed them to see if they'd ship to Singapore.

Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, that's amazing. I'd have thought sheep.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We ordered from my green mattress - the all latex version as I wanted no coils. I love it. It’s medium firm-firm. No off gassing. Organic material. Comfortable. The other one I was contemplating between was the avocado brand all latex version. Will now be replacing all the house mattresses with the my green mattress ones.

I've also just emailed the Green Matress to see if they'd ship to Singapore.

Thanks again.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good point -- you could sleep on an odorless cotton-candy cloud of pink fiberglass insulation. Mmmmm...soft :whistle:

For environmental illness, there is a big difference between asbestos exposure, say, and the "smell" of a mattress.

On a population basis, the deadliest environmental exposures are probably automotive exhaust and combustion products from household cooking -- yet almost no one complains of those. What people think is hurting them and what is actually hurting them are often two very different things.

No, I'll let you sleep on that and inhale that.

I'm not talking about a population basis, not talking about the majority, I'm talking about sensitive individuals with real health issues.
If you don't have an issue with VOCs feel free to carry on with your life, but don't tell other people they are fussy or that "it's all in their head".

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
We have a Sterns and Foster hybrid, but the non-gel part of the mattress is wool. I think their higher priced mattresses are wool. You could check into that as needed. There are coils involved though. I'm sorry for the sensitivities you are dealing with.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Sterns and Foster hybrid, but the non-gel part of the mattress is wool. I think their higher priced mattresses are wool. You could check into that as needed. There are coils involved though. I'm sorry for the sensitivities you are dealing with.

I will look into that.

And thank you. x

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have a Dormiente?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just to add - I have an organic wool and cotton futon mattress that I tried before getting a latex one. You can smell the wool. I think it took about 2 weeks for it to not smell anymore. Also, because it’s a futon mattress - the edges of the mattress were not totally flat but had a bit of a raise/bump that went all over. This I found uncomfortable when used as a bed (but not noticeable when on the futon).

i agree. I would not get a futon as a bed unless I was desperate. I unfortunately found it difficult to find a mattress without latex which unfortunately I seem to be able to smell acutely. Futons are hard and get misshapen/lumpy, in general.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Mine smelled like farm. Maybe also hay. I could see how that would be potentially a problem for people. I preferred it to strong offgassing latex. But yes definitely there’s a vague smell of hay for three months. Keep in mind I smell very well.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine smelled like farm. Maybe also hay. I could see how that would be potentially a problem for people. I preferred it to strong offgassing latex. But yes definitely there’s a vague smell of hay for three months. Keep in mind I smell very well.

THREE months?!!:o

My sense of smell, sight and hearing are off the chart. Have been so since the Pfizer vaccine six months ago. I mean I had it bad but it'd gone like 10 folds worse since then.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thought - for the kids, because they needed something firm when babies , I use mattresses with coconut coir. For theirs , it’s latex on the outside and coconut coir in the middle instead of coil. Although, they can also use wool or cotton instead of the latex. I have slept with them on those mattresses and they are very firm but comfortable. They did not have any smells. I don’t have a brand suggestion because I have only ordered these in toddler sizes but a quick google search revealed that many companies are now making them.

It looks like Dormiente carries this. I googled them and spoke to them. They say they use coconut coir covered in latex and then the whole mattress is covered in cotton.

I read somewhere that some coconut coir or husks can be mouldy when they're old (the reason why it's important when buying coconut oil to make sure the oil, is not only organic, but must come from young coconuts). Would you happen to know about that?

I am currently testing for mould toxicity (lived in a house with mould, unknowingly about how deathly mould can be). So this issue is currently on my mind.

Thank you.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
It looks like Dormiente carries this. I googled them and spoke to them. They say they use coconut coir covered in latex and then the whole mattress is covered in cotton.

I read somewhere that some coconut coir or husks can be mouldy when they're old (the reason why it's important when buying coconut oil to make sure the oil, is not only organic, but must come from young coconuts). Would you happen to know about that?

I am currently testing for mould toxicity (lived in a house with mould, unknowingly about how deathly mould can be). So this issue is currently on my mind.

Thank you.

I was under the impression that coconut coir was actually better to prevent mold and mildew due to its porous properties. This allows for better airflow and reduces the risk of mold/mildew.
As far as mound being there when mattress is first made here are some thoughts
1) most of these mattresses are made to order so they are not sitting in factories in humid/damp conditions. (At least the brands I looked at)
2) The way it is processed seems to reduce the chance of mold. Here is the description “ Fibres are spun into a loose yarn and left to rest. The yarn curls itself up during the rest period, creating natural springs. To make the finished coir, workers felt the springs together into a loose mat. The mat is sprayed with natural latex, which acts as a glue. Finally, it’s dried and heated to harden (this process is called vulcanizing).”
3) if you buy from a reputable company, for a mattress with organic certification, it would reduce the risk of such issues
4) I know they sell some hand held mold testers- you could use one of those in the mattress?

And another food for thought - since it seems your issues have been intensified due to the vaccine - have you tried a detox ? There are some detox regimens that have had success on vaccines/heavy metals (although not as much on this new vaccine). Maybe it’s worth a try ?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
THREE months?!!:o

My sense of smell, sight and hearing are off the chart. Have been so since the Pfizer vaccine six months ago. I mean I had it bad but it'd gone like 10 folds worse since then.

I actually liked the smell of hay. :) I was disappointed when it faded.

Pheonix, I know people whose COVID vaccine triggered pre-existing mast cell issues. For example, It flared MCAS into overdrive. Some autoimmune conditions can increase sense of smell and sensitivities to smells which can literally trigger hives. Autoimmune flares (not just MCAS) happen after both COVID and COVID vaccination.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i agree. I would not get a futon as a bed unless I was desperate. I unfortunately found it difficult to find a mattress without latex which unfortunately I seem to be able to smell acutely. Futons are hard and get misshapen/lumpy, in general.

Can you still smell latex after a long period of time? say a couple of weeks.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was under the impression that coconut coir was actually better to prevent mold and mildew due to its porous properties. This allows for better airflow and reduces the risk of mold/mildew.
As far as mound being there when mattress is first made here are some thoughts
1) most of these mattresses are made to order so they are not sitting in factories in humid/damp conditions. (At least the brands I looked at)
2) The way it is processed seems to reduce the chance of mold. Here is the description “ Fibres are spun into a loose yarn and left to rest. The yarn curls itself up during the rest period, creating natural springs. To make the finished coir, workers felt the springs together into a loose mat. The mat is sprayed with natural latex, which acts as a glue. Finally, it’s dried and heated to harden (this process is called vulcanizing).”
3) if you buy from a reputable company, for a mattress with organic certification, it would reduce the risk of such issues
4) I know they sell some hand held mold testers- you could use one of those in the mattress?

And another food for thought - since it seems your issues have been intensified due to the vaccine - have you tried a detox ? There are some detox regimens that have had success on vaccines/heavy metals (although not as much on this new vaccine). Maybe it’s worth a try ?

Where can I buy a mould tester? I kinda remember looking for one but couldn't find it.

It's true that there are various detox regimes around, some with some degree of success. This new vaccine, as you've said, is so new and unknown that nobody really knows for sure. I've tried, with the help of various professionals, some detoxes; but only got worse. I think I shall let time (hopefully) take care of this, mostly. Doing DNRS (not sure if you've heard of it), just started so we shall see....

Thank you. x

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually liked the smell of hay. :) I was disappointed when it faded.

Pheonix, I know people whose COVID vaccine triggered pre-existing mast cell issues. For example, It flared MCAS into overdrive. Some autoimmune conditions can increase sense of smell and sensitivities to smells which can literally trigger hives. Autoimmune flares (not just MCAS) happen after both COVID and COVID vaccination.

Yep, it brought on histamine issues and MCAS for me and heightened my sensitivity to stimuli. My thyroid antibodies went through the roof after Pfizer (it'd been stable for 12 years - checkups every year- since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's).

Other symptoms worsened too.

I am what you'd call a long Covid hauler except I've never caught Covid (tough wood/ prayers I don't).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a spare room to let whatever mattress you get air for a while?

Yep, tried that with a latex mattress topper, for a month. Still stank! Got rid of it.

Thanks though.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I can't do memory foam, I am afraid.

Thanks though.

ETA: Oh you mean an all-cotton one? Hmm...l'll look into it. Thanks again.

Phoenix, I just want to say that you have sort of a twin in me. I have the exact immune condition you have and it is no joke and the smell issue is not your imagination in the least. Yes, there can be some anxiety involved, but that stems from being hyper alert to what your body will be going through as a result of processing the chemicals or smells. Not every chemical has a smell and not every smell is a chemical, but what your body goes through in constantly processing smells is crippling. I was exposed to mold and have mycotoxicity. My autoimmune condition was off the charts as well. It took a while to find a great endocrinologist that has been managing me. Numbers were literally off the charts where the lab assay could not read them. My issues are not related to the jab or covid at all. But, I have the same condition as you. I always had a keen sense of smell, but after the chemical injury, smells are overly exaggerated and trigger migraines, involuntary twitches and overall sense of unwell. I cannot take any perfume smells, incense, cigarette smoke...and forget even going down the laundry detergent aisle. It takes time to heal. We have in our brains something called sensory adaptation. It allows us to, say, put on a ring and go on about our business without constantly saying to ourselves, "I have on a ring, I have on a ring." That sensory adaptation is affected as well with chemical injury. We went through 6 beds before I realized that there is no ordering regular beds. Memory foam is especially toxic anyway. Flame retardants are what offgas and turn into more than just formaldehyde. I know the exact smell that you are talking about. The only company that I was able to buy from whose latex smell actually faded way down is DIY Natural Bedding. They were extremely helpful. I could not deal with wool because the natural lanolin that the sheep produces is innate to the material and won't fade. This company provided latex that did fade to a very, very mild vanilla like smell. Now, in order to actually smell it, I have to physically press my nose/face into the mattress. You want to also stay away from down. My pillows are made of kapok--which has, I promise you, NO SMELL AT ALL. They sent me samples of different firmness so that I could choose the most comfortable one for my support needs. It comes rolled up in plastic (think saran wrap). You choose the firmness for the bottom, middle and top. It does have latex smell but after about 2 months it did fade. And that is coming from someone that suffers as you do. What you can do while it fades is to place a sheet of what is called "flexzorb" which is material that charcoal has been interwoven into, on top of your mattress, so that you are not going crazy inhaling. Here is their website: https://www.diynaturalbedding.com/
They are a US company, but will ship out of the country. You just have to contact them.
You need to eliminate things in your environment that can be potential triggers. I find that I can only have leather shoes made in Italy because they don't process their leather with chromium, it is vegetable tanned. If you have exposed particle board in your home such as a shelf you need to seal it with minwax waterbased polyurethane. I am kind of going off on a tangent, but I just want to help you and assure you that you are not alone. Also, the person in this thread that spoke of receptors is absolutely correct!
Let me know if I can help with anything else. I know what you are going through. I am better but not all the way 100% and the very best thing to get you on the road to recovery is avoidance. It takes time. Avoid where ever practical your exposure.

edited to add; Gloria27 is right on the money!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results