shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is more value of these two Tahitian pairs of e/r - silver or peacock?

Which pair of Tahitian pearls shall I get - peacock or silver overtone?

• Oh, you''re just so fussy woman - just get whichever pair!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The one with silver overtone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought two pairs of Tahitian pearl earrings today, one with peacock overtone and one with dark silver overtone. They're about the same size 9-10mm and both have mirror -like shine. They cost the same.

I showed them to my friend and she asked me how come I got the silver ones? I told her I didn't want both pairs to be the same, though one pair is to be given to my niece and the other for myself to keep. She said the ones with the green/ peacock overtone are more a bit more rare and should be more expensive/ sought after.

The shop will allow me to exchange the silver ones to another pair with peacock overtone - I called them and they said no problem.

So, should I do it? Which ones would you keep (this Q only applies to the second pair - the first pair with peacock overtone I'm already keeping to give to my niece)? Is my friend right? Are the peacock ones more valuable?

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
The shop owner is right. Peacock is always more valuable than silver, but it comes down to personal taste.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2009 12:11:47 PM
Author: Streeter1
The shop owner is right. Peacock is always more valuable than silver, but it comes down to personal taste.
Actually, it was my friend who preferred the peacock earrings. The shop owner just wanted me to buy, whichever ones, LOL!

Thanks for that. It''s good to know.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 12:11:47 PM
I had always thought that the colour doesn''t matter to the pricing and it is still down to size, lustre and the amount of surface cleanliness. It is all a matter of personal taste and how the colour suits the skin tone of the wearer.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Phoenix, I don''t think peacock is more valuable. If it is, you won''t be charged the same for the same size and quality. Get the pair that complements your skin tone more. Which pair brings out the colour and glow on your face? That''s the pair to get regardless of whether the other pair is more valuable or not. Good luck in deciding and please post pictures.

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
I agree that the best color to choose is the one that best complements you! But color is absolutely an important value factor in all types of cultured pearls, especially in Tahitians. The most valuable color (not including the fancies) is dark body color with peacock overtones.

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
In your original post you described the pearls as green/peacock. Green is the most common color overtone in Tahitian pearls. In addition to pinks, true peacock will contain blues, purples and golden colors. Perhaps you don''t have peacocks? Perhaps you have beautiful pearls with pink and green overtones?

As far as the silvers go, I have seen silvers that glow from across a room - just spectacular color and luster.

If your pearls are truely a high lustrous silver, my money would be on them.

julie.

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
I hate to be a stickler on the peacock thing, but according to Perles de Tahiti and the official Tahitian classification system (PDT is the group responsible for the promotion of Tahitian pearls in Tahiti), the color peacock is actually called peacock green. It is a highly sought shade of green. The overtones that we in the US call peacock is referred to as orient in Tahiti. It isn''t orient in the truest since of the word because black pearl nacre is opaque so there is no thin-film interference, but that is what they call it. In the US, most people refer to that "orient" as peacock. It is a play of color over the surface that moves when the pearl is turned, and has a purple to red color, which is the secondary color not the body color.

As for color and value, do a google search for "most valuable Tahitian pearl color" and the first result is a thorough explanation.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thans very much, everyone, SimplySplendid, Pearlie and Streeter, for your replies and thanks to all who voted too.

Streeter, thanks very much for that link. It's very informative.

So I went back to the shop this morning and exchanged the silver pair for the peacock ones and these are actually larger than I thought/ larger than my first pair.

Pearlie
, it's very interesting, whilst I'm fairly certain that the second pair (the larger one I picked up today) would be classified as having peacock overtone (perhaps medium to strong - not sure?), the first smaller pair that I picked up yesterday may or may not be called peacock, they may have green overtones instead. I looked up the colours in Pearl Paradise and this pair seems to have green overtones according to their colour chart. However, on Pearl Oasis, those that are classified by PO as having peacock overtones look more green and some even teal blue to me. I'm wondering if there's any way I can find out if the first pair is peacock or green? Do I look at them in sunlight and look for the multi-shades of overtones (ie. peacock range of colours) in order to decide if they're peacock? I'm really fascinated by all this! Would appreciate it if Pearlie or someone can help me figure this out.

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix, and congrats on your pearl purchase.

The ideal conditions under which pearls are judged and classified is with a light colored (white) background and direct sunlight. But a light colored background (display pad) and indirect light can work well, too.

You want to be able to see all imperfections, etc., and nothing can hide from the harsh glare of direct sunlight.

To help you see the difference between the two pearl purchases, maybe the shop owner will let you compare under these conditions? Lay both pairs of earrings next to each other and judge for yourself on the difference in color/overtone/surface quality/etc.

It takes years of practice and thousands of pearls to be able to judge color and luster, sure makes it easier if you have something to compare it to.

By the way, where are you?

julie.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 9:35:07 AM
Author: pearlie
Hi Phoenix, and congrats on your pearl purchase.

The ideal conditions under which pearls are judged and classified is with a light colored (white) background and direct sunlight. But a light colored background (display pad) and indirect light can work well, too.

You want to be able to see all imperfections, etc., and nothing can hide from the harsh glare of direct sunlight.

To help you see the difference between the two pearl purchases, maybe the shop owner will let you compare under these conditions? Lay both pairs of earrings next to each other and judge for yourself on the difference in color/overtone/surface quality/etc.

It takes years of practice and thousands of pearls to be able to judge color and luster, sure makes it easier if you have something to compare it to.

By the way, where are you?

julie.
Thank you so much, Pearlie/ Julie.

I''ll follow your advice and try to look at the earrings in the next few days. Wow, this is really fun!

I''m in Shanghai, China. The pearls here are plentiful and much cheaper than in the US but like most other industries, the pearl industry I''m sure has its fair share of fakes and am bit worried, hence the need to learn as much as I can abt pearls before I buy. My sisters and nieces have "ordered" a bunch of pearls for their Xmas pressies so I have plenty of homework to do!
2.gif
1.gif

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
It''s good to be concerned about dyes, fakes, etc. And there are some magnificent dyed green Tahitian pearls on the market, I saw some in Tucson last year for the first time.

If the color is just too intense, it may be enhanced. If the coloration is very even throughout the pearl, it may be enhanced. Dyed/enhanced Tahitians can also show some pitting on the surface.

These are just guidelines, sometimes an intense color is natural (and a magnificent sight to behold!). Sometimes the color on a natural colored pearl can be evenly distributed, and sometimes pearl surfaces are pitted. As we all know, pearls are not perfect. Just be aware, observant, and trust yourself.

julie.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 9:53:54 AM
It''s good to be concerned about dyes, fakes, etc. And there are some magnificent dyed green Tahitian pearls on the market, I saw some in Tucson last year for the first time.

If the color is just too intense, it may be enhanced. If the coloration is very even throughout the pearl, it may be enhanced. Dyed/enhanced Tahitians can also show some pitting on the surface.

These are just guidelines, sometimes an intense color is natural (and a magnificent sight to behold!). Sometimes the color on a natural colored pearl can be evenly distributed, and sometimes pearl surfaces are pitted. As we all know, pearls are not perfect. Just be aware, observant, and trust yourself.

julie.
Thank you so much again, Julie.

It''s so interesting what you''ve said. I actually returned a deep golden SS pearl pendant today. The first thing that alerted me to the possible fake colouring was the fact that it was a very intense golden colour. I also read a thread on Pearl Oasis where the possibility of a pearl being fake due to its deep colour was mentioned. I also looked at my pearl using a diamond loupe, LOL; and I saw what I thought was teeny weensy small bubbles that *may* have been an indication of paint being sprayed on. I think it was a real SS pearl but it may have been sprayed to enhance the colouring.

It''s also very helpful that you mentioned the pitted surface. That''s what I was looking out for also. I thought - erroneously - that fakes are perfectly smooth. So if I came across fake versions of SS or Tahitians that are pitted and the colour is not too intense and not evenly distributed, what else could I look out for to determine their authenticity? Thanks so much.

pearlie

Shiny_Rock
Hello again Phoenix -

Hopefully I can answer your questions, and make sense doing so!

Let''s start with pearls being painted. Not to say it isn''t happening, but I have never heard or read of that type of treatment. Chemical dyes and coloring agents are usually used, and the color extends into the pearl, not just on the surface. Tell-tail signs are an intense yellowey-lemoney color, and/or reddish areas/spots concentrated in the conchiolin layer - with a loupe or sometimes the naked eye you will be able to see reddish spots on the surface.

Processors are enhancing akoyas and freshwaters and these are fairly easy to detect. It''s the dying of south seas that is much more problematic, and can be very difficult to detect with visual inspection alone.

Bubbles on the surface do not necessarily point to treatment. There are naturally occuring gas bubbles that develop during the growth of the pearl. Biologically what''s happening? I can''t really say, but I think it''s got something to do with the morphing of the cells from aragonite to conchiolin.

Now, having said that, some pearls are treated with a polymer coating, and under magnification will show small air bubbles and even pockets of dirt.

Confused yet?

Let''s move on to your mention of fakes and pitting. Cultured Tahitian pearls that have been bleached and dyed with coloring agents can show pitting on the surface.

Fakes are glass beads dipped in a reflective coating, plastics, shell beads, etc. And you are generally correct, their surface will appear "perfect". And we should all be aware that pearls are not perfect.

So to determine authenticity, view pearls on a light colored background with a strong light (sunlight is best). Look for the imperfections. Generally speaking dyed pearls are all one color. Just as if we dyed our hair with a box of color, it will be all the same. You want to see surface imperfections. Pitting may indicate treatments, dimples and circles and half lines occur naturally. Pick the pearl up and feel it''s wieght. Pearls have heft. Take your trusty loupe and look down the drill holes, sometimes coloring agents will concentrate there.

But most importantly, arm yourself with knowledge, find someone who''s legitimate and deal only with them.

.julie.

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
I think the pitting needs to be better addressed, because nearly all Tahitians that are not top gem have at least some spotting or pitting. The treatments (which only occur in Asia) do not cause the pitting. Lower quality Tahitians are the most likely candidate for either polymer or color treating (excpt in the case of chocolates).

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 4:39:51 PM
Hello again Phoenix -

Hopefully I can answer your questions, and make sense doing so!

Let's start with pearls being painted. Not to say it isn't happening, but I have never heard or read of that type of treatment. Chemical dyes and coloring agents are usually used, and the color extends into the pearl, not just on the surface. Tell-tail signs are an intense yellowey-lemoney color, and/or reddish areas/spots concentrated in the conchiolin layer - with a loupe or sometimes the naked eye you will be able to see reddish spots on the surface.

Processors are enhancing akoyas and freshwaters and these are fairly easy to detect. It's the dying of south seas that is much more problematic, and can be very difficult to detect with visual inspection alone.

Bubbles on the surface do not necessarily point to treatment. There are naturally occuring gas bubbles that develop during the growth of the pearl. Biologically what's happening? I can't really say, but I think it's got something to do with the morphing of the cells from aragonite to conchiolin.

Now, having said that, some pearls are treated with a polymer coating, and under magnification will show small air bubbles and even pockets of dirt.

Confused yet?

Let's move on to your mention of fakes and pitting. Cultured Tahitian pearls that have been bleached and dyed with coloring agents can show pitting on the surface.

Fakes are glass beads dipped in a reflective coating, plastics, shell beads, etc. And you are generally correct, their surface will appear 'perfect'. And we should all be aware that pearls are not perfect.

So to determine authenticity, view pearls on a light colored background with a strong light (sunlight is best). Look for the imperfections. Generally speaking dyed pearls are all one color. Just as if we dyed our hair with a box of color, it will be all the same. You want to see surface imperfections. Pitting may indicate treatments, dimples and circles and half lines occur naturally. Pick the pearl up and feel it's wieght. Pearls have heft. Take your trusty loupe and look down the drill holes, sometimes coloring agents will concentrate there.

But most importantly, arm yourself with knowledge, find someone who's legitimate and deal only with them.

.julie.
Julie,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply and for providing such helpful information.

My Tahitian drop-shaped peacock pendant seems to be authentic. It has some pit or dimples on its surface and the colour is not even throughout. There seems to be a pink/ copper overtone (and other shades of colour overtones - though I still haven't been able to discern exactly what these other colours are, but they seem to include silver) on top of the dark green body colour. The pink/ copper is all over but more concentrated around the centre of the pearl.

The Tahitian earrings, well.. they seem non-fake (meaning not made of synthetic materials like a glass balls) as they have a few very small pits on the surface....The larger pair of earrings that I thought were more peacock actually look more green to my eyes today! Both pairs of earrings are quite round, though the larger pair is slightly (very very slightly) off-round. The colour is more even throughout the earrings (unlike my Tahitian pendant). Both pairs had already been set as earrings so I wasn't able to look at the drill holes when i was at the shop. They're also smaller (about 9-10.5mm) so they seem rather light to me, unlike the Tahitian pendant which is quite hefty.

So, my Q's now are how do I know if these earrings are genuine Tahitians and how can I tell if they've been coated with a polymer coating?

Thanks so much, Julie.

I have other Q's regarding my SS pearls. I will post them under yr other thread. Thanks for starting that.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 4:46:47 PM
I think the pitting needs to be better addressed, because nearly all Tahitians that are not top gem have at least some spotting or pitting. The treatments (which only occur in Asia) do not cause the pitting. Lower quality Tahitians are the most likely candidate for either polymer or color treating (excpt in the case of chocolates).
Thanks again, Streeter, for your input.

How can one tell if a Tahitian has been subject to polymer or colour-treating?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reference, I'm providing a link below to some Tahitians sold by Pearl Oasis which I think quite closely resemble my Tahitian pendant though the colour of my pendant is slightly more dark green but mine also has the pink/ copper/ peacocky overtone shown in that pic:

http://www.pearloasis.com/cgi-bin/catalognew.cgi?IDNUM=20090722163837&COMMAND=detail

My earrings are of a darker green (more dark green than my pendant and quite a bit darker than that shown in the pic but still definitely green and not teal-blue or blue). The colour is more even throughout (like those shown in the pic in the link to Pearl Paradise earrings below) but with no pink/copper overtone shown in the pic (Pearl Oasis) above:

http://www.pearloasis.com/cgi-bin/catalognew.cgi?IDNUM=20090722163837&COMMAND=detail

(So in the PP pic, the colour is very even just like the colour of my Tahitian earrings, though of course those in PP are baroque whereas mine are round - the link is just for colour evenness illustration).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results