shape
carat
color
clarity

Which is closer to Mehenge color?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opinions on these as to which is closer to a mehenge reddish/pink?

spi3.07.jpg

spi4.37.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither looks like a fine mahenge spinel color to me. They look like rhodolites. I love rhodolites, but rhodolites don't cost thousands per carat.

Awesome cutting on the trillion, but if color is what you're looking for, if the photos are accurate, these aren't the stones.

If you haven't already done so, there is a book called "Terra Spinel." I highly recommend you take a look at it, for it references very fine Mahenges and has superb photographs.

Here's a page of the book with a photo I took in natural diffused light. My camera kind of washed out the page, but the book is way more beautiful in person.

http://www.spinelbook.com/

While not a very comprehensive book on the science of spinels, it has many amazing photos of fine material from all over the world. I highly recommend it for that.

TLspinelcomparewithbook.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Just like TL said. But dang! those are fantastic rhodolites.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reference TL.

So, then what about this one?

Vendor hand photo

spinel_2.71cts_hand.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vendor photo

17390.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1309532491|2959878 said:

Vendor hand photo

Too desaturated. Don't get me wrong, you are picking out very pretty stones left and right, but if you want to know if they are fine Mahenge material color, I don't think so. However for regular pink spinels, they're very nice stones.

ETA: I wouldn't be so picky with you, but I know the amounts of money you're spending, and I assume you want something very fine.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1309532702|2959883 said:
bright ice|1309532491|2959878 said:

Vendor hand photo

Too desaturated. Don't get me wrong, you are picking out very pretty stones left and right, but if you want to know if they are fine Mahenge material color, I don't think so. However for regular pink spinels, they're very nice stones.

ETA: I wouldn't be so picky with you, but I know the amounts of money you're spending, and I assume you want something very fine.

Yes, I am willing to spend the bucks but I want my money's worth.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does this one seems to be the closer color thus far?

ref11478a.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1309533195|2959898 said:
Does this one seems to be the closer color thus far?

If, and that's a big IF (I mean this about all vendors, not just Eric) the photo is accurate, than yes.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her are two others that he photoed for me together.

ref 11475&10081.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1309533513|2959901 said:
Her are two others that he photoed for me together.

The trillion above seems more of a hot pink, and the bottom ones seem more purplish. Ask him which ones are closest to a pinkish red. Also ask about color shifts.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He has been abroad and is to return to Tanazania tomorrow. He is to get back with me over the weekend as to what is currently available and with his suggestions.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I actually think the Pala one is very, very nice (I am presuming it is Pala) - and knowing their stones and photos I think they often look better in person.

Of the others, the trillion is the best of the bunch and is a great stone.

TL - that's a lovely photo of your Mahenge on the Terra Spinel book. I am so torn on that - if it had more words I'd have bought it straight off, but I don't have a coffee table to put it on (and could probably buy one for the same price!)

I might wait till it turns up on the second-hand market and concentrate on putting pennies towards Koivula... I wish they'd do a digital version of those books but I guess it would be too easy to copy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1309538690|2959975 said:
I actually think the Pala one is very, very nice (I am presuming it is Pala) - and knowing their stones and photos I think they often look better in person.

Of the others, the trillion is the best of the bunch and is a great stone.

TL - that's a lovely photo of your Mahenge on the Terra Spinel book. I am so torn on that - if it had more words I'd have bought it straight off, but I don't have a coffee table to put it on (and could probably buy one for the same price!)

I might wait till it turns up on the second-hand market and concentrate on putting pennies towards Koivula... I wish they'd do a digital version of those books but I guess it would be too easy to copy.

Thanks Pandora. It's not a scientific book by any means, but what it lacks in science, it really makes up for in the spectacular photographic examples. The images of the spinels are very very high quality. You can almost reach out and feel like you can pick up the stones. I think it's a great buy for anyone who is a collector of these gems as it has some rare examples of fine material from various locales.

As with any gem book that goes out of print and on the secondary market, it may jump very high in price, so the time to get it is probably now. However, I do realize it's expensive. Maybe at one of the larger gem shows it will be available.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I have to say I love the color of the elongated oval from Swala the most, even if it's not pure "Mehenge color."

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
TL|1309538918|2959979 said:
Thanks Pandora. It's not a scientific book by any means, but what it lacks in science, it really makes up for in the spectacular photographic examples. The images of the spinels are very very high quality. You can almost reach out and feel like you can pick up the stones. I think it's a great buy for anyone who is a collector of these gems as it has some rare examples of fine material from various locales.

As with any gem book that goes out of print and on the secondary market, it may jump very high in price, so the time to get it is probably now. However, I do realize it's expensive. Maybe at one of the larger gem shows it will be available.

True - remind self about Richard Hughes' 'Sapphires & Rubies'... :angryfire: might check if Gem-A have it as I get 10% student discount till the results come out!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about this spinel?

Trying to compare to Chrono's pear. Thoughts?

ref8757%20A[1].jpg

Chrono's Mahenge.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bump. Anyone?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These stones are impossible to compare by photo's, especially photos from different vendors with different types of lights and camera's. The only slightly possible comparisons could be made if the stones were all photographed by the same person with the same lighting. Other than that, it's pure speculation on the part of the person making judgement on the stone.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
What geographic area do you live in BrightIce? I really think you need to go to a gem show.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
herekittykitty|1310062074|2963938 said:
What geographic area do you live in BrightIce? I really think you need to go to a gem show.

I live in Mississippi. I see that there is one in New Orleans coming up in the fall.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1310067273|2964034 said:

I live in Mississippi. I see that there is one in New Orleans coming up in the fall.

Is that intergem ?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1310076254|2964143 said:
bright ice|1310067273|2964034 said:

Is that intergem ?

Yes, it's on 9/9/11

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmmmmmm.........
That might be fun !!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results