shape
carat
color
clarity

which ideal scope model to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cypher3

Rough_Rock
I know i need an idealscope, would likely place an order after this weekend. just wondering if the production model works just as well as the expert model.

would appreciate some feedback from folks who have used them.

thanks.
errrr.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm the guy who sells them and has them ready to ship. The professional model has high grade optics and is suitable for many years of use. The less costly one will do the same thing for consumers as the more costly unit, but just will not last as long. Scratching of the lenses will occur more rapidly.

While I like to make more money, I'd suggest you buy the less costly one for buying the occasional diamond. If you ever want to upgrade to the more costly unit, there will always be someone who'd like to have your old cheapy...

dbretton

Rough_Rock
You don't need an "Ideal-Scope(tm)". I bought one. It doesn't tell me anything that my eyes don't already tell me.

If you have 2 diamonds side-by-side, and one looks more beautiful than the other, how much emphasis will you place on the view through the "Ideal-Scope(tm)" ?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
D Breton you would need to do that test in several different lighting environmnets, and you may not be comparing the diamonds side by side in the same store.

Dave is right - the better optics is for a dealer who is using it for 3 or 4 hours straight grading a few thousand stones (which takes about 4 seconds a stone to sort into 3 or 4 cut grades) - try that by side by side comparison
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
You don't need an "Ideal-Scope(tm)". I bought one.
It doesn't tell me anything that my eyes don't
already tell me.
-----------

I grade diamonds every day for a living, and find the IdealScope an excellent tool in assessing a diamond's light return performance and optical symmetry.

jlim

Shiny_Rock
What I want to know is why the Ideal-Scope charges are originating from Labuan, Malaysia?

The write-up on Ideal-Scope says the following. Funny this is orders in US will be shipped from US. But will the charge on a US credit card come from Diamond-Cut?

If so, here's a question. Local merchants in Malaysia cannot directly charge in US dollars. They'll charge in the local currency and the situation there now is the USD is pegged at 3.6 or 3.8 exchange rate. Also, there's a service fee for using a credit card. So, when you get your bill in US, it will be at the current exchange rate bet. USD and Malaysian Ringgit at the US bank. So, it could very well be more than $25 or less than $25 plus the service fee.

Well, of course all these info. are wrong if the statement below is incorrect or I misread it.

ORDER

PLEASE NOTE: Your credit card will be charged by Diamond-Cut, Labuan, Malaysia in US dollars.
Residents of Malaysia and Australia will be billed by Precious Metals in the equivalent Australian dollar amount.
*Residents of Philadelphia will be charged an additional 7% state tax, all other residents of Pennsylvania will be charged an extra 6% state tax.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We choose to run Ideal-Scope through an off shore company so we do not pay taxes in many different countries.
We do not wish to break any laws, that is why there are all those complications.

We are establishing a US account at present because most of our sales are there and it will be easier for everyone.

Christian and I run this from Australia, with Dave Atlas in Philly. We all do many other things - Ideal-Scope is a small (but growing) sideline, so we are doing the best we can, give us time
1.gif

My goal is to improve the cut quality of diamonds. If it was to get rich quick, I would not waste my time with stuff like this
sad.gif

I do hope one day though that these labours might find me retired in comfort
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can sell anyone with fears of Malyasin trickery the Ideal-Scope directly. We can run MasterCard, Visa, Discover or PayPal transactions from our Philadelphia, PA offices.

Just call me on 215-922-1926 ext 120 and I will either speak with you or call you back when I am in the office.

This is a more comforatble method for many people and works fine for me.....

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dbretton,

If you are looking at two diamonds and one is badly cut and another is very well cut, of course you can tell the difference. Try doing that with two diamonds that are both well cut.

I went to many Jewelry stores, both with fancy lights and without, and the only thing that saved me was the IdealScope. There were some stones that looked fairly bright and had significant leakage.

Maybe I just practiced more, but I bet I'm like a lot of people that can't just eyeball diamonds that appear very close in dispersion and scintillation.

10.gif

jlim

Shiny_Rock
oldminer, cut nut,
I don't mean to insinuate dishonesty on both your part. It is just that I'm familiar with the practices of companies in that part of the country to charge a service fee. This service fee is charged by the credit company. But in the US, this fee is picked up by the merchant as a convenience or incentive to the consumers. Many people in that part of the country and region are still comfortable using cash. So, the credit card fee is passed on to the customers.
Also, the exchange rate factor. I don't believe any country can charge directly in US dollars. I've been to Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and my credit card bill will always show a conversion to USD from the local currency by the credit card company based in USD at the time the charge came through. This also is true in London and Paris as well when I was there. So, it is a standard practice.
The Ideal-Scope order page shows it as $25 with an asterisk and it says it will be billed by a Malaysian company. I was just curious as to why the office is in Malaysia and how certain are we it will be $25. Well, not that I'm buying but since I am familiar with that part of the country, I thought I'll chime in.
Btw, where's the Ideal-Scope made?

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
All,

Let me know if you guys need a company here in Bermuda- we are offshore and have US dollars and I'd be happy to help you out.

FC

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
The billing process is legit. Other than a courtesy call from my credit card company verifying that the charge was authorized, it came through ok. Exactly as it should. I wouldn't worry about it. If you do, go through Dave Atlas as he suggested. I hope that adds some peace of mind to anyone who was worried about this. If Cut Nut wants to make a little extra cash rather than share with the Aussie Gov, good for him, makes no difference to me. But, now that I think of it, the mark-up must be pretty good for this little plastic device.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It's been awhile since I bought mine, but the charges were exactly as expected. No problems at all. However, as Dave said, there's always the option of buying from him instead.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results