shape
carat
color
clarity

Which HPD diamond would you choose? Same size, same clarity, different color

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I’m debating between these 2 HPD stones. One is a G and one is a H. Both stones are roughly the same size and clarity.

Price difference is about $2300. FYI- Layla is trying to get a video of the stones side-by-side. Please let me know if you would choose one over the other and why. Does either inclusion on the diamond sway you one way? B9B6D0F3-3905-4FAC-8599-1CCEE2EF0F72.png FDF577A0-BF2E-4CBB-83C3-FFFDC54F49B1.png 5B9D1035-0816-4953-89E2-2441B3DB2DDA.png 9522B120-A650-4469-9502-C786AC39DA9D.png

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the video Layla sends but they are so similar. It comes down to your budget and what you can and cannot see. Do you prefer a smidge bigger or a higher color? The video will help you decide.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the G due to color. And I’ve come to discover I lean toward diamonds with slightly larger tables. Both will be very beautiful. And seeing a video will be helpful.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It depends. If one is a high H and the other one is a low G, I would definitely pick an H. In fact, I did just that a few months ago. I got myself a high H likewise CBI (same size as the one you are looking at) and it is very white to me and I am super happy with it. When I was facing the same dilemma as you, Wink told me that I would not be able to tell the difference between H and G unless they are side by side AND under a controlled environment. Plus, you get a slightly bigger stone (not really visibly bigger but still) and for less $$.
However, if a G turns out to be a high G (closer to an F) and you prefer whiter diamonds, then it might be worth spending the extra $$

Last edited:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the other posters, a video will help you decide either way. I prefer a smaller table (my CBI has a table of 54.9) I find it more pleasing to my eyes. You may see a very very slight difference in size between the two in the video, or not! It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in colour too. I would also ask if the two stones are high/medium/low in their respective colour grades. Just more information to help you decide.

Reactions: caf

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Quick thought. The stone that you think is too small is 1.8 ct correct?

One of these stones is just a smidge over two and the other is 2.12.

Is this really going to give you the size that you are looking for? The difference is not going to be dramatic at all in my view.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Just noticed that the cert for the H is from 2016 vs the G which is dec 2019. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You seem hesitant on the H so I think you should go with the G.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I would choose the G due to color. And I’ve come to discover I lean toward diamonds with slightly larger tables. Both will be very beautiful. And seeing a video will be helpful.
That is great to hear. The pricescope paradigm on tables has been smaller is better for too long ;-)

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Just noticed that the cert for the H is from 2016 vs the G which is dec 2019. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

I am not sure how significant the date on the certificate is. It appears that the H might be a return for an upgrade. The G might or might not be a newer stone. Or it might just mean that the G stone got re-certificated in 2019. HPD can do the same for an H diamond - to have it send back to AGS and have a new certificate issued. Wink has more info if OP is interested in the dates of these stones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H is 8.27 and the *G is 8.16. Also the H is less expensive. I would take the H.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do the G - I prefer whiter.

But - I had thought you were upgrading with DKJ, no?

An HPD option is wonderful, tho! This whole process is exciting, whichever route you go!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Quick thought. The stone that you think is too small is 1.8 ct correct?

One of these stones is just a smidge over two and the other is 2.12.

Is this really going to give you the size that you are looking for? The difference is not going to be dramatic at all in my view.

Yeap. I tend to have an issue with being indecisive lately. The 1.8 has been sold and it is with its new PS owner. I am struggling because I've seen bigger diamonds and I haven't found the ONE. I saw a few 2.3 and 2.5s yesterday and they were pretty-- but not PRETTY. In brief, I don't think I've found "the one" yet. Where I am now-- whichever HPD diamond I choose (between the 2 here) will be put head-to-head against a larger stone (I can afford a larger non-HPD diamond or a smaller HPD diamond). I think I need to see the HPD stone in person directly next to a non-HPD stone and see what is most important to me--size or cut. At this point, I don't know-- but I am getting closer. I am seeing everything in person and for this big of a purchase, I am dotting my i's and crossing my t's. According to Layla at HPD, the HPD will win. I need to pick one of these HPDs to put against a larger stone. I told Layla what I was doing--i.e comparing the HPD stone to a non-HPD stone and I hope I am not doing anything wrong by doing so. So, we will see......

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeap. I tend to have an issue with being indecisive lately. The 1.8 has been sold and it is with its new PS owner. I am struggling because I've seen bigger diamonds and I haven't found the ONE. I saw a few 2.3 and 2.5s yesterday and they were pretty-- but not PRETTY. In brief, I don't think I've found "the one" yet. Where I am now-- whichever HPD diamond I choose (between the 2 here) will be put head-to-head against a larger stone (I can afford a larger non-HPD diamond or a smaller HPD diamond). I think I need to see the HPD stone in person directly next to a non-HPD stone and see what is most important to me--size or cut. At this point, I don't know-- but I am getting closer. I am seeing everything in person and for this big of a purchase, I am dotting my i's and crossing my t's. According to Layla at HPD, the HPD will win. I need to pick one of these HPDs to put against a larger stone. So, we will see......

I had to view the stones in person as well. Also, a larger non-HPD, though a super ideal, and a smaller HPD. I could not see them side by side. If you cannot see them side by side, a few words of advice. Look at each stone in the same location, at the same time of day, in the same lighting, wearing the same clothes. Down the road, if you start second guessing yourself, remember your initial reaction and trust your gut. But of course, this does not negate the need to look at the stones in every lighting situation you can, different times of day, and wear dark clothes too, to see how dark it can be. Good luck.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I'd do the G - I prefer whiter.

But - I had thought you were upgrading with DKJ, no?

An HPD option is wonderful, tho! This whole process is exciting, whichever route you go!

I am working with DK (and driving him crazy with my inability to make a decision). We spent several hours yesterday looking at a bunch of diamonds. He is so kind and patient (and really funny too). Amy has the design all set up-- we just need to find the magical stone. I do have a top pick diamond that DK has--but it does not make my heart race. It is larger than these HPD diamonds. So, I want to put DK's stone next to a HPD stone and see if one speaks to me. People tend to have different opinions as to whether a HPD stone (or any super ideal cut) really sparkles more. I've never seen a super ideal cut stone so I don't know. Bottom line- Amy has the design idea and has even made me a wax mold with a hypothetical center stone. She really understands what I am going for. I've spent a few weeks with her and we started from the beginning and we figured out where I went wrong with the old design. So, new design is done. Now, I just need a center stone. With all of the time and energy and money that I've put into this ring, I'm hoping for a really fantastic center stone. I think I would regret it if I didn't see a super ideal stone. I don't want to have any "what ifs" at the end of this process.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure how significant the date on the certificate is. It appears that the H might be a return for an upgrade. The G might or might not be a newer stone. Or it might just mean that the G stone got re-certificated in 2019. HPD can do the same for an H diamond - to have it send back to AGS and have a new certificate issued. Wink has more info if OP is interested in the dates of these stones.

I will ask about this.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yeap. I tend to have an issue with being indecisive lately. The 1.8 has been sold and it is with its new PS owner. I am struggling because I've seen bigger diamonds and I haven't found the ONE. I saw a few 2.3 and 2.5s yesterday and they were pretty-- but not PRETTY. In brief, I don't think I've found "the one" yet. Where I am now-- whichever HPD diamond I choose (between the 2 here) will be put head-to-head against a larger stone (I can afford a larger non-HPD diamond or a smaller HPD diamond). I think I need to see the HPD stone in person directly next to a non-HPD stone and see what is most important to me--size or cut. At this point, I don't know-- but I am getting closer. I am seeing everything in person and for this big of a purchase, I am dotting my i's and crossing my t's. According to Layla at HPD, the HPD will win. I need to pick one of these HPDs to put against a larger stone. So, we will see......

I think you have been given really good advice about viewing instructions for the stones.

It's definitely important to go in with an open mind as well. It would be nice if you could compare another super ideal like an ACA, but that's probably logistically too difficult. Based upon what I have read some people say they can see a difference between the super ideal vendor stones. I don't believe I would. I also can't see a difference between super ideal and ideal in video clips. Everyone is very different in how they process images.

I kind of giggled a little bit that HPD sales rep was saying that their stone will win. Because of course the seller would say that- no matter what they are selling! It still well might, but that made me laugh.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I think you have been given really good advice about viewing instructions for the stones.

It's definitely important to go in with an open mind as well. It would be nice if you could compare another super ideal like an ACA, but that's probably logistically too difficult. Based upon what I have read some people say they can see a difference between the super ideal vendor stones. I don't believe I would. I also can't see a difference between super ideal and ideal in video clips. Everyone is very different in how they process images.

I kind of giggled a little bit that HPD sales rep was saying that their stone will win. Because of course the seller would say that- no matter what they are selling! It still well might, but that made me laugh.

I HOPE that I can't see a difference between a "regular" diamond and a "super ideal" diamond because my wallet would be so happy. :):):):):). But, I am going to see both to see if I see a difference. I am almost 50 and my eyes don't work that great anymore--heck, maybe I could go with a CZ :lol-2::lol-2:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I HOPE that I can't see a difference between a "regular" diamond and a "super ideal" diamond because my wallet would be so happy. :):):):):). But, I am going to see both to see if I see a difference. I am almost 50 and my eyes don't work that great anymore--heck, maybe I could go with a CZ :lol-2::lol-2:

Please, do let us know what you saw. I am curious. Perhaps, even take videos of them being side by side. I compared ACA Whiteflash and CBI side by side (ACA being a bit smaller) and saw the difference - and so did my husband.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Please, do let us know what you saw. I am curious. Perhaps, even take videos of them being side by side. I compared ACA Whiteflash and CBI side by side (ACA being a bit smaller) and saw the difference - and so did my husband.

Which "won"? The CBI or ACA? And why, if I may ask

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
3 CBIs on my finger. 3 dirty diamonds... :oops:

IMG_0318.JPG

Those stones look very nice. I take it you are a fan of CBI? You would recommend a purchase of CBI vs. anything else? Do you mind if I ask the stats?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My current CBI is 2.62ct G VS1.. I wore two H color CBI before upgrading to this G. I don't mind wearing a G or H.

262ct G.jpg 262N.jpg
262ct E.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those stones look very nice. I take it you are a fan of CBI? You would recommend a purchase of CBI vs. anything else? Do you mind if I ask the stats?
Elaine H VS1 1.25ct.JPG
The middle one is a G SI1 1.23ct. I don't have a copy of the AGS report.

The bottom one...
2.60ct.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBI (thus, I got that one). It had more fire, more life, if you will.

It’s wonderful you found the stone that makes your heart sing, but even within the tight parameters in the cuts of CBIs and ACAs, there can be ranges of table size, LGF, etc that will effect what your eyes see. Unless you are comparing the same cut angles then It’s hard to make the claim.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
It’s wonderful you found the stone that makes your heart sing, but even within the tight parameters in the cuts of CBIs and ACAs, there can be ranges of table size, LGF, etc that will effect what your eyes see. Unless you are comparing the same cut angles then It’s hard to make the claim.

I did not state it as a claim. It was an observation. It is what my husband and I saw with our naked untrained eyes and I stated it as such. Sometimes, people see it as an attack on the brand when one says that the other one performed better. It is not.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not state it as a claim. It was an observation. It is what my husband and I saw with our naked untrained eyes and I stated it as such. Sometimes, people see it as an attack on the brand when one says the other one performed better. It is not.

That’s great! Enjoy your beautiful ring, there’s nothing not to like about CBIs:kiss2:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Layla used to be a “power” contributor here on PS before she went to work for HPD. I would trust her eye and her judgment, she doesn’t need to make a sale. You might need to know what questions to ask her, though.

Like, do the additional clouds not shown on the H have any effect on the transparency of the stone? Obv not the clarity, or the clarity would be lower. But ‘transparency’ is different from clarity. I don’t know why, but that’s what I’d ask. And... if she said ‘no’ to that question, then I’d pick the H. Only cuz I can’t tell that much of a color difference until about J-K, so, there’s extra 2K for the next thing :)

But ... if you really want a bigger non-branded stone, why spend time nitpicking between the two CBIs at all?

If David could send his pick to Layla (you might have to ”buy” it first? She could (if she were willing do do this (since she already knows you‘re shopping around)) do a video of the two CBIs against the David stone so you could virtually view them all at the same time, and against each other in the same environment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results