shape
carat
color
clarity

Which has better cut & arrows (fat vs skinny)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Can the experts please comment on which of these arrows has better proportions? I noticed B has fatter arrows and a slightly better HCA score with Ex instead of Vg for Scintillation. I'll paste pictures below.

A
Depth %: 61.0%
Table %: 57%
Crown angle: 34.0
Pavillion angle: 41.0
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Measurements: 7.62 x 7.57 x 4.63 mm
HCA: 1.4 EX EX VG VG

B
Depth %: 60.7%
Crown angle: 34.5
Pavillion angle: 40.8
Measurements: 7.72 x 7.70 x 4.68 mm
HCA: 1.3 EX EX EX VG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
A with skinnier arrows:

A-skinnier.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
B with fatter arrows:

B-fatter.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:00:58 PM
Author:silverbuggy

Can the experts please comment on which of these arrows has better proportions? I noticed A has skinnier arrows than B. I'll paste pictures below.

A
Depth %: 61.0%
Crown angle: 34.0
Pavillion angle: 41.0
Measurements: 7.62 x 7.57 x 4.63 mm

B
Depth %: 60.7%
Crown angle: 34.5
Pavillion angle: 40.8
Measurements: 7.72 x 7.70 x 4.68 mm

Can you post the lower girdle facet/ lower halves measurements please? Also what are the weights of the diamonds? The proportions of each diamond look good, I prefer ASET or Idealscope to the images above to evaluate a diamond if possible but they both have good proportions. As to the thickness of the arrows it can be a matter of taste, take each diamond as a whole and consider the whole picture.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is the picture of proportions for A

A-proportions.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is the picture of proportions for B

B-proportions.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei, I don''t know how to get the LGF and lower halves measurements.
7.gif
I posted pictures of the diamond proportions from the GIA report though. Is that sufficient?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! They both look promising, any chance of some more images?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:10:57 PM
Author: silverbuggy
Lorelei, I don't know how to get the LGF and lower halves measurements.
7.gif
I posted pictures of the diamond proportions from the GIA report though. Is that sufficient?
No worries, the measurements above are on the diagram, see the 80% and 75%? Those are what I wanted!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
arrows are perfect for the c/p combo of each.
80% lgf% on the first and 77% on the second.
post the "brightness" image for the first off the gcal report.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is a 2nd picture of proportions for A

A-proportions2.JPG

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
I believe BN does not supply pic nor images. They both look good by the numbers.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is a 2nd picture of proportions for B

B-proportions2.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is the optical brilliance and symmetry analysis for A

A-brightnesspic.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Here is the optical brilliance and symmetry analysis for B

B-brightness.JPG

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
strmrdr, I hope the optical brilliance analysis and optical symmetry analysis pics are what you''re looking for! I didn''t see any other relevant images in the GCAL reports. Haha I''m posting everything short of sending you guys the blue nile links! I didn''t want to bias anyone''s opinion based on the other factors such as carat, color, clarity...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both good diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:24:21 PM
Author: strmrdr
They are both good diamonds.
I agree.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 2:23:02 PM
strmrdr, I hope the optical brilliance analysis and optical symmetry analysis pics are what you''re looking for! I didn''t see any other relevant images in the GCAL reports. Haha I''m posting everything short of sending you guys the blue nile links! I didn''t want to bias anyone''s opinion based on the other factors such as carat, color, clarity...
You posted what I needed....
none of the gcal images are that useful by themselves but combining them sometimes it is possible to draw a conclusion.
In this case it is enough to say they both are good diamonds.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Yikes, so there''s no clear winner? Does Ex for Scintillation make B a better candidate? Or does fatter/skinnier arrows matter?

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
ONE more factor.

B''s GIA report says "Surface graining is not shown"

I read on here that surface graining doesn''t matter much, but assuming everything else equal, would that make A a better candidate?

Haha I need to decide one way or another! :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are close enough that some people might see a difference in personality.
Based on that my personal pick is the first one based on cut but color/clarity/price could overrule that preference.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:29:57 PM
ONE more factor.

B's GIA report says 'Surface graining is not shown'

I read on here that surface graining doesn't matter much, but assuming everything else equal, would that make A a better candidate?

Haha I need to decide one way or another! :)
Its fine " not shown" in the comments section of a grading report usually means it is a non issue.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:34:09 PM
Author: strmrdr
they are close enough that some people might see a difference in personality.
Based on that my personal pick is the first one based on cut but color/clarity/price could overrule that preference.
Ditto

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 2:26:59 PM
Yikes, so there''s no clear winner? Does Ex for Scintillation make B a better candidate? Or does fatter/skinnier arrows matter?
No, the HCA can only estimate these aspects, it cannot physically see the diamond to predict with any certainty any nuances of diamond performance or beauty. Arrow thickness can be a matter of taste and are secondary to excellent overall proportions which these two diamonds have.

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Haha thanks guys. Okay I am going to open up the rest of the specs! If price isn't an issue, and I'm fine with either carat weights, which is a better buy?

A
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-d-color-vs2-clarity_LD01418170?filter_id=0
Price: $18,801
Price per carat: $11,678
Stock number: LD01418170
Carat weight: 1.61
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Surface graining: No

B
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-signature-ideal-cut-d-color-vs2-clarity_LD01072952?filter_id=0
Stock number: LD01072952
Price: $19,640
Price per carat: $11,621
Carat weight: 1.69
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Surface graining: Yes (GIA report says "Surface graining not shown")

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
You could probably drop the color to a G and I doubt that either you or your FI would be able to detect the difference. Might save a few thousand.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Just based on the C/P angles, the proportions of diamond B look like they are spot on with the angles Whiteflash uses for its ACAs. So this could be an especially nice combo. I''m not familiar with the 34/41 combo, except I can say that mine is a 34/40.8 from BN (also a D, VS1, signature ideal), and I will say its extremely sparkly, esp. in pinpoint lighting. There''s a lot of white light coming out of it. But I believe it could be leaning a little towards the shallow/bright side rather than the more fiery side. So as a matter of personality, I think the 2 diamonds you posted could demonstrate different personalities.

Inviting all experts to correct any of the above if not correct!

silverbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 3:28:30 PM
Author: SYC
Just based on the C/P angles, the proportions of diamond B look like they are spot on with the angles Whiteflash uses for its ACAs. So this could be an especially nice combo. I''m not familiar with the 34/41 combo, except I can say that mine is a 34/40.8 from BN (also a D, VS1, signature ideal), and I will say its extremely sparkly, esp. in pinpoint lighting. There''s a lot of white light coming out of it. But I believe it could be leaning a little towards the shallow/bright side rather than the more fiery side. So as a matter of personality, I think the 2 diamonds you posted could demonstrate different personalities.

I looked at the whiteflash ACA standards here:
https://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/all_about.aspx?articleid=299&zoneid=21

B seems to fit everything except for the lower half % since 75% falls out of the 76-80% range.
A fits everything but the pavilion angle because 41.0 falls out of the 40.6-40.9 range.
No ideal. :|

Can someone explain what the personality difference might be between A with 80%/50% and B with 75%/55% ???

I''m doing searches for LGF% on pricescope but there''s a lot of information to sort through!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 3:54:58 PM

Date: 3/4/2009 3:28:30 PM
Author: SYC

I looked at the whiteflash ACA standards here:
https://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/all_about.aspx?articleid=299&zoneid=21

B seems to fit everything except for the lower half % since 75% falls out of the 76-80% range.
A fits everything but the pavilion angle because 41.0 falls out of the 40.6-40.9 range.
No ideal. :|

Can someone explain what the personality difference might be between A with 80%/50% and B with 75%/55% ???

I''m doing searches for LGF% on pricescope but there''s a lot of information to sort through!
Try this thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-does-lower-girdle-length-affect-face-up-performance.87181/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results