shape
carat
color
clarity

which green gemstone for an e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? Eveywhere I've seen the opposite. They go lighter in the dark. Well, I don't personally own a chameleon, so I'm not the expert here.
emembarrassed.gif
Thanks for your explanation LD.
9.gif
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I almost had a heart attack looking on ebay because the color of the main diamond and the pinks on the side look a lot like my three stone ring. My crappy camera can't really capture the vividness of my ring. I personally would never pay anywhere near that amount for that color green (I certainly didn't!!), so if you do purchase a green diamond for a substantial amount of money, make sure the GIA cert doesn't have the words yellowish or grey on the diamond color. I'm not a colored diamond expert, but it is my gut feeling that some dealers take advantage of the fact that it has a GIA cert with the word "green" on it, and think they can charge an absolute fortune. Not all dealers do this of course, and there are many respectable colored diamond dealers. If you are spending an exhorbitant amount of $$, the GIA cert (no other lab will do for colored diamonds) should be a pure fancy green, or even better - a pure fancy blue green.

31.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-77-CT-Fancy-Green-and-Pink-Diamond-Ring-Natural_W0QQitemZ280333620836QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDiamond_Solitaire_with_Accents?hash=item41452f9664&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Well if you are serious about colored diamonds, hopefully some colored diamond experts will chime in on here. There are some that post on PS.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sorry you couldn''t open the link Enoki, this happens sometimes when people post links on PS. Well, all you need to do in order to see this stone is to type "dresden green" in any image search and it will show up right away.

Another option that came to my mind are auction houses. Not sure if there are some nearby where you live, but if there are, they''re worth checking. Sometimes they have wonderful pieces in your price range, and you may not only find the stone, but a whole ring - that is, if you don''t mind getting something previously owned. Not rarely, signed pieces of the finest jewellery houses show up, with fine stones and an amazing craftsmanship. You can even bid over a phone line (check out Christie''s, Sotheby''s etc.).

enoki

Rough_Rock
LovingDiamonds - thanx for posting those superpretty and extremely helpful pics of gorgeous gems! And also to everybody else who's posted - you've all been so incredibly helpful. I'm learning so much I feel like a sponge (& back in school somewhat!).

I am extremely confused in a good way - I obviously have quite a few options - so what I'm doing this week is heading off to some 'local' jewellers (higher end) and having a look at some stones! I called one today and they tell me they have: emeralds; a fantastic green sapphire; a tourmaline and a garnet. So I get to look at 2 that I'm quite keen on. Green diamonds - have not thought further but do realise $$ is going to be a factor - sounds like I'll be paying thru the nose for a non-yellow/brown green diamond. Alex - still in the running - just have to find a way to see the stone.

So there's the latest
9.gif

Will report back once I have made further progress....so big THANK YOU and HUGS to all of you
13.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I believe that David at diamondsbylauren.com may have a 1-plus carat GIA fancy light grayish green diamond in stock, or, if it is not in house, it is at least close-at hand. It is hexagon shaped and quite pastel colored. Certainly, it is not be what you are looking for in terms of "rich" green color, but, it will give you an idea of what a modified green diamond can look like, and at about $20K, it IS within your budget...

Also, I agree with those who have mentioned the "glow" of an emerald... there is nothing quite like it. And, high quality emeralds are stunners to look at. However, also, I agree that extra care must be taken wearing such a stone. I rarely wear mine because I worry about damaging it. And, one that was my mothers was cleaned incorrectly once and all the fillers were destroyed, leaving the stone''s imperfections all too easy to see. LovingDiamonds, your mother must have truly adored her ring to keep it in such pristine condition all those years! Kudos to her.

My vote would be for a well-set, knock-out tsavorite like the beauty Pandora posted. I think Richard Wise and Pala would be two excellent places to inquire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 11:29:51 AM
Author: Rockit
I believe that David at diamondsbylauren.com may have a 1-plus carat GIA fancy light grayish green diamond in stock, or, if it is not in house, it is at least close-at hand. It is hexagon shaped and quite pastel colored. Certainly, it is not be what you are looking for in terms of ''rich'' green color, but, it will give you an idea of what a modified green diamond can look like, and at about $20K, it IS within your budget...

Also, I agree with those who have mentioned the ''glow'' of an emerald... there is nothing quite like it. And, high quality emeralds are stunners to look at. However, also, I agree that extra care must be taken wearing such a stone. I rarely wear mine because I worry about damaging it. And, one that was my mothers was cleaned incorrectly once and all the fillers were destroyed, leaving the stone''s imperfections all too easy to see. LovingDiamonds, your mother must have truly adored her ring to keep it in such pristine condition all those years! Kudos to her.

My vote would be for a well-set, knock-out tsavorite like the beauty Pandora posted. I think Richard Wise and Pala would be two excellent places to inquire.
I can''t tell you how much I want that diamond! I''ve spoken to David about it but short of selling my daughter on Ebay (not really an option
9.gif
) I''m afraid this is one that will have to go on the "diamonds I wanted but never got" pile!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
where''s the link to that diamond, I want to see it!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 4:51:57 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
where''s the link to that diamond, I want to see it!!

I cannot find it either and I would love to see it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not on David''s website. He sent it to me by email. I''ll ping him a note and I''m sure he''ll be along with photos.

BUT HANDS OFF LADIES - IT''S MINE!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok here it is. I hope David doesn''t mind me posting it. Now remember, this is MINE (when I win the Lottery)!

GIA Fancy Light Greyish Green - don''t know what you guys think but this looks BLUE

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
enoki,

I''ll start by saying that I know very little about colored gemstones, but I''m trying to learn by reading some of the threads in this forum.

It sounds like emerald is still a possibility? Leon Mege has a beautiful emerald and diamond ring for sale. Do you like this look at all? I think it''s gorgeous and would give great finger coverage. And it''s well within your budget! Maybe some of the colored stone experts can tell us their opinion of it?

Leon Mege emerald ring

leonmegeemerald.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 8:00:25 PM
Author: MrsDoubleP
enoki,

I''ll start by saying that I know very little about colored gemstones, but I''m trying to learn by reading some of the threads in this forum.

It sounds like emerald is still a possibility? Leon Mege has a beautiful emerald and diamond ring for sale. Do you like this look at all? I think it''s gorgeous and would give great finger coverage. And it''s well within your budget! Maybe some of the colored stone experts can tell us their opinion of it?

Leon Mege emerald ring
I have always admired the richness of the colour and the setting. Aah....what a beauty.
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 6:37:34 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Ok here it is. I hope David doesn''t mind me posting it. Now remember, this is MINE (when I win the Lottery)!

GIA Fancy Light Greyish Green - don''t know what you guys think but this looks BLUE
LD,
You need to ask David where''s the green.
9.gif
I can''t seem to find a hint of green in the stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting that LD. Is there a video link for that stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enoki,

Leon Mege emerald ring
Very nice ring, but before venturing into buying ANY emerald, one should find out the extent of the treatment since almost all emeralds are clarity enhanced in some fashion. Also, I would require a laboratory cert from the AGL or AGTA specifying the treatment for any expensive emerald.

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 8:02:32 PM
Author: Chrono

enoki,

Leon Mege emerald ring

I have always admired the richness of the colour and the setting. Aah....what a beauty.
30.gif

Thanks, Chrono. Why is this show-stopper not sold?!
4.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price and wearability. Emeralds are not everyday rings and $11,200 isn't exactly small change.
2.gif

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 8:09:59 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

enoki,

Leon Mege emerald ring

Very nice ring, but before venturing into buying ANY emerald, one should find out the extent of the treatment since almost all emeralds are clarity enhanced in some fashion. Also, I would require a laboratory cert from the AGL or AGTA specifying the treatment for any expensive emerald.

Thanks, TL, for the good advice. You''re so knowledgeable and helpful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!
9.gif

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 8:16:41 PM
Price and wearability. Emeralds are not everyday rings and $11,200 isn''t exactly small change.
2.gif

Ah, got it. Thanks.
1.gif

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 8:16:41 PM
Price and wearability. Emeralds are not everyday rings and $11,200 isn''t exactly small change.
2.gif

Thanks for the input, Chrono. You''re also so generous with your knowledge and time. (Sorry...didn''t mean to compliment TL and not you too! Silly me...getting so wrapped up in the pretties...
2.gif
)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the emerald is as pictured, the list price isn''t too bad for a set stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 11:20:51 PM
Author: Harriet
I agree but if used as an engagement ring, it''ll need to be really babied. I don''t mind being given that one as an e-ring though. The colour is a mesmerizing blue green.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 11:20:51 PM
Author: Harriet

I agree, H! I''ve been drooling over that emerald for so long. It would make me nervous for an e-ring, though. Even though I am really careful with my rings.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2009 8:04:25 PM

LD,
You need to ask David where''s the green.
9.gif
I can''t seem to find a hint of green in the stone.
Hi Chrono,
The colors of green and blue are very closely related. Think of the Caribbean Ocean- it''s blue, but looks green, or vice versa.
I can see the green in that photo BTW- but other photos and the video may show more of the green face.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David,
I took a second look and understand what you mean now. It''s not a pure green but a light blue green.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2009 8:04:25 PM

Ok here it is. I hope David doesn't mind me posting it. Now remember, this is MINE (when I win the Lottery)!

GIA Fancy Light Greyish Green - don't know what you guys think but this looks BLUE
LD,
You need to ask David where's the green.
9.gif
I can't seem to find a hint of green in the stone.
Chrono - I believe that's the GIA grading. Personally I see blue blue blue!!! Hey, who are we to argue with the GIA?
9.gif

TL - no video link. This is the photo he sent me. I don't think it's gone on David's site. It just so happened that I was waxing lyrical about this and that and David said "how about this". After I'd stopped drooling I started planning my next bank heist to pay for it
6.gif
2.gif
9.gif

ETA Oooops I see I'm late to the party! That serves me right for starting to type, stopping to eat and then coming back

enoki

Rough_Rock
ok so I managed to have a look at a few rings/stones last week - no luck finding an alex, got to see a tsav (light forest green), emeralds, a tourmaline and a green sapphire. And looked at some diamonds for good measure!

Have at least worked out I prefer the darker greens and decided against a green diamond (did seriously consider that real purdy blue-green hex diamond that was posted - but not quite what I'm after). I think I'm really keen on the green sapphires and had a look at Richard Homer's work/cuts - they look amazing!! Unfortunately the shop I went to couldn't tell me much about the stones - just that 'coloured stones aren't really graded like diamonds' which was really frustrating.

I also fell in love (a little) with some real sparkly diamonds so now I'm trying to find a way to have a really nice diamond somehow with my green stone e-ring. I'm thinking near ~1ct flawless diamond with 3ish-carat green sapph/tsav.

Was wondering - fr his website it looks like Richard Homer has gems but some ppl have adv Wink Jones (who also can get Richard Homer cut stones). I'm a lil confused - who should I contact?

Oh and can you get green sapphs as pretty/sparkly as the blue ones with the concave facets? Cos they look amaaaaazing! The blue ones are simply stunning just not quite 'me' :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit confused by your last post Enoki, cause first you say that you like darker greens, and then that you fell in love with green sapphires - have you found some dark ones? Regarding cutting, yes, they can be concave cut, just like any other stone. However, I''m not sure I''d go that route if I''d have your budget on disposal. Concave cuts are something a bit strange, very contemporary and so less traditional. If you get a stone with that kind of cut, keep in mind that his potential re-sale value is questionable, cause concave cuts are still not nearly as popular as traditional cutting styles. That''s why they''re usually done with more affordable materials, where you don''t care much about the stone''s future value. Rare and valuable stones are usually cut in traditional ways in order to look more classic and versatile, and some would even say that it''s a waste of rough to cut a really fine emerald in some fancy concave cut. But if you''re sure that you love the look, and that you''ll still love it some years from now, by all means get it. Don''t want to discourage you, just thought you should be warned - nothing wrong with concaves in terms of duability or beauty, but they''re more of a fashion statement, than an heirloom piece.

enoki

Rough_Rock
Oh ok...I didn''t know that! I don''t know how much I''ll like/love it because I''ve got only pics to go by but it looked quite impressive - all those before and afters - to a newbie
1.gif

good point though!

With the greens I saw this http://www.webgraphicsengineering.com/Gemstones/query3.cfm?yVarieties=Fancy%20Sapphire&ySpecies=Corundum
it''s about 3/4 down the page. On another page, there''re some really pretty looking tsavs (to my untrained eye) - that''s the kind of dark green I was thinking of if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results