shape
carat
color
clarity

which e-ring is better? (see pics)

laguy1

Rough_Rock
I would like to ask you all for advice. which ring would women prefer? the three pics show the same two rings but i am having trouble deciding which one. they are the same price, left one is .75 carats, SI1, F, from blue nile. right one is .50 carats, E, SI1, from tiffanys. Thanks in advance! IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0992.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: which e-ring is better?

I'd prefer a princess cut that is AGS certified as an excellent cut.

I'm not really a fan of the prongs on the Tiffany ring, but I don't love the profile of the BN ring--the prongs look like they're leaning a bit to me on that one.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hm, tough call. I like the Tiffany setting more - both prongs in the top view, and the curviness of the profile - but I prefer what I can see of the facet pattern of the BN stone. I don't suppose you have any of the specs available, do you? Like Haven said, cut would probably be the deciding factor for me.

In terms of the philosophical difference between a big-name brand vs. more size ... I think with a not-obviously-Tiffany ring, I'd go for size. If it was something exclusive to Tiff, like the Lucida or the Legacy, I'd feel otherwise.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the faceting pattern of the BN along with the size and the top down view of the prongs.

I like the side profile of the Tiffany ring.

I would in the end select the best cut sto r as it will put shine and sparkle any other cut stone.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed with the others to check cut. In general, I prefer the BN one, as it's noticeably larger and I prefer size to the Tiffany name pretty much 100% of the time. But it's a personal preference.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
the BN prongs look wonky to me.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I personally would choose the BN one. If the prongs are not right, which may be the pictures I would send it back to be fixed :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
suchende|1308260176|2947749 said:

I think the profile view of the BN does look a little wonky but the top down looks good to my eyes.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
are you set between these two? can you start over and look for a larger G-H SI1 (AGS0 or GIA with ASET) with a tiffany style setting? that seems to be your best bet.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1308263293|2947779 said:

I think the profile view of the BN does look a little wonky but the top down looks good to my eyes.
Really? All the tips seem to be drastically different sizes...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
suchende|1308269206|2947863 said:
Amys Bling|1308263293|2947779 said:

Really? All the tips seem to be drastically different sizes...

Ok, now I see that the top left definitely looks bigger than the top right. Maybe my eyes are going ;(

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the Blue Nile--stone is bigger and I like the setting better too.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really going to comment on the setting because pictures of settings due to lighting can look skew on the monitor to me since my own pictures of rings I take looks wonky on the screen but not to me IRL. Anyways I would take these two rings and look at it in all different light condition, under a desk dim lights natural lighting etc, and pick which one is the better performing diamond unless size is something of a priority? without any information other than pictures, I can't really comment on the stone itself because princess to me don't photograph well in my experience.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
For myself, I would choose the one from Blue Nile assuming the cut, color, and clarity are close. I would definately choose the larger stone if the quality is there. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about letting your girldfriend choose?

Eilonwy

Shiny_Rock
I like the look of the one on the left.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The blue nile stone would be my choice.

laguy1

Rough_Rock
thank you all for your input on these two rings! i did notice the prong differences with the BN one, will have to look into that. and if i do let her choose, would it be a bad thing if the guy proposes and shows her two rings and says i got these for you, just pick the one you like better?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
laguy1 said:
thank you all for your input on these two rings! i did notice the prong differences with the BN one, will have to look into that. and if i do let her choose, would it be a bad thing if the guy proposes and shows her two rings and says i got these for you, just pick the one you like better?

Not a bad idea! would love that!... she might very well go for the larger one :cheeky:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I like the BN one better, but yes, definately give her the choice!
I'd have loved it if my fiance had picked out two and then let me choose. She can deside if brand name or stone size are more important to her.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
I like the one on the left best.

speedy0514

Rough_Rock
M'lady is next to me and she likes the Tiffany profile better, as do I. But I'm not sure that matters if you can get a bigger and possibly better stone from BN for the same price. Like others have said, just make sure the BN setting is crafted well. I give Tiffany's credit, their settings really stood out to me when I was browsing their collection in store.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don't like either.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Blue Nile one grabs me.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany's sells SI1? I thought their lowest clarity on engagement rings was VS1?

That aside, I definitely prefer the one on the left. It has more presence.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I think letting her choose is a fantastic idea. I think alot of girls out there would prefer to have some input on the ring they are going to wear for the rest of her life. I have friends that would prefer the Tiff name over the size of the Blue Nile, and friends that are 'size queens' :naughty: and would always choose the bigger stone over quality (not that the blue nile ring isn't quality w/o specs it's hard to know).

I prefer the Tiffany setting, but like the faceting of the BN stone. Is it possible to change the setting of the Blue Nile , I know that there are alot of Tiffany like settings available. If both diamonds perform the same, I would prefer the larger BN stone.

Have you considered presenting your g/f with one of the rings and then allowing her to choose a setting of her own liking? Many girls I think would decide to keep the ring and setting that there fiance picked for them for sentimental reasons, others though, I think would prefer to set the diamond you selected into a setting that she adores and will love for the rest of her life. Either way she loves you and will undoubtedly love whichever you ring you choose for her. Its a beautiful exciting time, enjoy it! And congrats!! :appl: :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
:lol: and what does 'wonky' mean??? I tried looking it up and all....... :roll:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1308410671|2948975 said:
:lol: and what does 'wonky' mean??? I tried looking it up and all....... :roll:
Wonky means off-center, askew, unsteady . . .

"He has such a wonky sense of humor. He always laughs during eulogies."

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would choose the blue Nile and have it reset.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
If you prefer the open-ness of the Tiffany setting, BN has one that is similar. they also have many AGS0 princess diamonds in stock in your specs that might be worth checking out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results