shape
carat
color
clarity

Which do you prefer.. single cut or full cut melee?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I know there have been several threads about this but I'm still undecided. Which do you prefer for a halo with an OEC center stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
single cut

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For OEC's and antique cushions I prefer single cuts as they complement the chunky cut and bold flashes of the center stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the design, probably single cuts. If more modern in design or a halo that requires larger stones, then full cut melees.

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
depends on the size of the melees

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another vote for single cuts with antique stones...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably single... But it'd depend on how big the melee will be, the centerstone's faceting, the centerstone colour (and whether an 'apparent' colour difference between center and halo matters), the setting style...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am the odd ball out. I prefer full cut melee. I had single cuts switched out in my latest ring.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The difference is truly subtle. Especially in modern micro pave where the stones are pretty darn small. In many cases it takes a ten power loupe to see the difference.
You'll also find a very limited supply of high quality single cuts- at prices much higher than comparable full cuts.

Still, I do love to use them in pieces with OMB's......

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input. VC will be making the pendant. He recommended single cuts but the melee size hasn't been decided just yet. My OEC is a G color , 3/4 carat . The design is a sliding pendant with a halo and a milgrain border.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1389035489|3587598 said:
I am the odd ball out. I prefer full cut melee. I had single cuts switched out in my latest ring.

Add me to this as well. I prefer full cuts.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had a halo with single cut and a halo with full cut. With an OEC at one pointers for the melee: if you want it to blend (like a cluster) then single, if you want there to be a difference then full.

I prefer full cuts for centers with fewer older faceting or step cuts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1389055561|3587819 said:
I've had a halo with single cut and a halo with full cut. With an OEC at one pointers for the melee: if you want it to blend (like a cluster) then single, if you want there to be a difference then full.

Clarify this please, Gypsy. It is helpful to hear from those of you that have had both.

My sapphire earrings from Victor have single cuts, and they just have a lovely elegance to them as opposed to being blingy. I can't really explain it but they are very pretty with the single cuts. I told Victor to do whatever he thought was best on those because I had no idea. But I am not sure what I'd do if I put a halo on the AVR. These opinions are interesting.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is the hardest part because the pendant is for my mom. We don't always see eye to eye style wise and I don't want to ask her too many questions in case she figures out its for her and ruins the surprise!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The great thing is that she probably wouldn't know the difference! In that case, I'd just use the full cuts for the contrast between the center and the halo. Plus, they cost less which is nice!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker I was just looking at your earrings on YouTube and I loved the single cuts with your stone! I was just leaning that direction til I saw your comment and now I'm confused again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hospatogi|1389071828|3588007 said:
Diamondseeker I was just looking at your earrings on YouTube and I loved the single cuts with your stone! I was just leaning that direction til I saw your comment and now I'm confused again!

Lol! If this pendant was for YOU, I'd probably say single cuts because of your rings. But for your mom, I just don't think she'd know the difference (or 99.9% of the rest of the world, either) and I certainly think the full cuts would look fine and would sort of highlight the center stone due to the contrast.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1389066101|3587949 said:

Clarify this please, Gypsy. It is helpful to hear from those of you that have had both.

Sure thing.

With step cuts and antique cuts you get broad flashes of light and the single cuts also have broader (than full cuts) flashes of light. So when your ring is in motion the flashes from all the stones 'blur' more with single cuts in the halo. So with a piece with consistently broader facets across all the stones you get larger broader facets with slower movement across the entire face of the piece. Not a lot of a contrast.

Full cuts have very fiery small pinpoint flashes. You can REALLY see the contrast between them and the larger facets of a step or old faceted center. It is a look that appeals to me more because you can see the difference between the halo and the center at all times and in all lighting conditions. You don't get that blur across the face of the ring. What you get is contrast. And since I like my ring to look like a center and a distinct halo, instead of a cluster ring-- I value the contrast.

I can't comment on what stones would be best for a modern faceted stone like an RB or a Radiant, as I have not had a halo with single cuts with one before and all the halos I have seen with these stones have full cuts.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the look you are trying to achieve I have an Old Cut in a Full cut melee halo made by Victor and it's insanely sparkly and I love the contrast between the two, it emphasises the big chunky facets of the centre stone more if anything, making them stand out by comparison, next to the finer scintillation pattern in the halo. It makes my ring overall look like something modern giving off both large and small flashes of light return for anyone that just glances at it or has no idea.

Having said that if I was after something that looked like an antique I would go with Single cuts, they match better if that makes sense which is why Victor is probably suggesting them. He has a great eye so you are in capable hands.

I also make the neutral observation the the larger the stone the bigger the contrast between Full Cuts and the OEC faceting pattern, the smaller the stone the less obvious it becomes unless you have eagle eyes.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Well I have eagle eyes..my mom not so much nowadays! I think I am leaning towards the full cuts now. However now I'm wavering about the design.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Which do all of you find more appealing?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1389076110|3588027 said:
diamondseeker2006|1389066101|3587949 said:

Sure thing.

With step cuts and antique cuts you get broad flashes of light and the single cuts also have broader (than full cuts) flashes of light. So when your ring is in motion the flashes from all the stones 'blur' more with single cuts in the halo. So with a piece with consistently broader facets across all the stones you get larger broader facets with slower movement across the entire face of the piece. Not a lot of a contrast.

Full cuts have very fiery small pinpoint flashes. You can REALLY see the contrast between them and the larger facets of a step or old faceted center. It is a look that appeals to me more because you can see the difference between the halo and the center at all times and in all lighting conditions. You don't get that blur across the face of the ring. What you get is contrast. And since I like my ring to look like a center and a distinct halo, instead of a cluster ring-- I value the contrast.

I can't comment on what stones would be best for a modern faceted stone like an RB or a Radiant, as I have not had a halo with single cuts with one before and all the halos I have seen with these stones have full cuts.

Gypsy, a few years ago when we were in CA I saw a butterfly pendant at Tiffany with rose cut wings "halo'd" with full-cut melee. It was gorgeous - the contrast that you talk about was breathtaking :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results