shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond would you pick?

Which diamond appears to have greater contrast? Which appearance do you prefer?

• Diamond1 appears to have greater contrast and I prefer its appearance.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Diamond2 appears to have greater contrast and I prefer its appearance.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings PS fam and the online community,

Attached in the 2 posts below this one are virtual models of 2 diamonds that get very similar results on 2 technologies consumers consult to make purchasing decisions online. Hence if one were to consult online technologies in the purchasing decision one may be lead to conclude that both are pretty equal in appearance.

This is not the case and has been confirmed with observation testing by consumers who got to compare these 2 stones live in our store.

My question to the consumers here is this.

Do one of these diamonds appear to display more contrast than the other?
Regardless of your answer to #1, which appearance do you personally prefer?

Your answer will reveal something to you about your own preference regardless of what anyone else tells you *what you should be thinking*.
All are encouraged to participate but the opinions I value most are those who know less about diamonds as you will be entering this survey without any preconceived ideas about what should or shouldn’t be best. This experiment is done in the spirit of pure fun coupled with scientific research and there is no right or wrong answers. Just your personal opinion.

The answers you provide will be helping another consumer on this forum understand more about what it is he is purchasing and I think the answer will help others as well.

To participate in this online survey here are specific instructions. If you are a regular here and/or have downloaded and installed the Gem Advisor software you can skip the first 2 steps and proceed to step 3.

1. You will first need the free Gem Advisor software from Octonus which you can get directly at this link via this website.
2. Install it on your computer and open the program. This *should* associate all future Gem Advisor files you download to your Windows registry.
3. Click on the file attachments in the posts I publish after these instructions.
4. When you do, save the files to an easy place to locate on your hard drive (ie. My Documents or create your own folder to store these virtual models).
5. When you open the models in this experiment they will load into the default graphic of office lighting. Do not change any settings or click on any buttons. They will open in this size.
6. After opening both files, resize them to equal size similar to the size you see in the graphic below.
7. Hit the green play button and wait for both diamonds to be rocking freely in front of your eyes.
8. Sit back approximately an arms length distance in front of your monitor.
9. Compare and answer the questions.

We will be publishing the results of this study and others we are conducting with consumers in our store in an upcoming article relating to the subject of brightness and human perception. I thank you for your participation. Your input is greatly valued.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

PS: Below is the picture of how I’d like the participants to resize the diamonds down to. The default is too large. In the next 2 posts I’ll give the files for each of the test diamonds.

instruct04.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Woof... that worked. :) 3rd times a charm eh?
41.gif

Ok here is Diamond1.

Attachments

• diamond01.gem
    19.9 KB · Views: 35

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Woof... that worked. :) 3rd times a charm eh?
41.gif

Ok here is Diamond1.

Attachments

• diamond01.gem
    19.9 KB · Views: 32

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Forum is funky today I see. My last post posted 2x. Here is Diamond2.

NOTE: DO NOT GO BY THE GRAPHIC IN THE FIRST POST. You MUST rock the diamonds according to instructions for best results.

Peace out,

I''ll try and do one more today regarding "princess cuts" and "fire" if ya''ll are having fun with this.

Attachments

• diamond02.gem
    25.8 KB · Views: 18

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
VERY neat thread, as usual, Jon.
9.gif

This was big fun -- the choice is not that easy. I picked stone1. I think it exhibits better contrast. Stone 1 is less 'defined' and looks more flat to me -- it's more glittery than sparkly. But I do acknowedgle that there is no wrong answer. There is a diamond for everybody, according to personal tastes and preferences.
1.gif

Keep the good work coming!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha you know what WOULD be neat????? It would be neat if I got that Starbucks gift card ya promised me!!!!
11.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 2:34:43 PM
Author: Giangi
VERY neat thread, as usual, Jon.
9.gif

This was big fun -- the choice is not that easy. I picked stone1. I think it exhibits better contrast. Stone 1 is less ''defined'' and looks more flat to me -- it''s more glittery than sparkly. But I do acknowedgle that there is no wrong answer. There is a diamond for everybody, according to personal tastes and preferences.
1.gif

Keep the good work coming!
9.gif
Thanks G.

While I appreciate, more than you know your personal preference I do not want people to think your answer is the *right* answer. Remember ... there is no right answers here. What you perceive to be more beautiful, others may not and that''s ok man because beauty is in the eye of hte beholder. We, like diamonds are like snowflakes and no two individuals agree *every single time* pertaining to what constitures diamond beauty and the many environments that matter most to them personally.

Thank you for your input man. I have learned something about you I never knew.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 2:37:27 PM
Author: kaleigh
Haha you know what WOULD be neat????? It would be neat if I got that Starbucks gift card ya promised me!!!!
11.gif
LOL... they''ll be mailed out this week dear.
21.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What if I offer you a REAL coffee, straight from Italy?
11.gif
Now, THAT would be a nice offer!
9.gif

Sorry for the off topic, Jon!

Midnight

Rough_Rock
Becareful to vote correctly!!!
32.gif
The "diamond02.gem" download corresponds to the FIRST picture below the poll question and vice versa. Jonathan, you might want clarify and edit it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2005 2:11:16 PM
Author:Rhino

My question to the consumers here is this.

Do one of these diamonds appear to display more contrast than the other?

Yes, the first (the H&A)

Regardless of your answer to #1, which appearance do you personally prefer?

What does this men: ''do you like more contrast'' or do you have other reasons to preffer one over another.
About contrast - yes, I preffer more rather than less, even at the expense of brilliance (i.e. white light return) - otherwise white sapphire would be prefferable to diamonds! Between these two, the brighter non H&A has a flat crown and that would get it out of the race as far as my biased & personal prefferences are concerned even if it also have better contrast !

[the]
virtual models of 2 diamonds that get very similar results on 2 technologies consumers consult to make purchasing decisions online.
I suppose you are talking about the Brilliance Scope and the Ideal Scope. I am not that curious about how close the BScope score were. The GemAdviser models other ''scope analytic views and those were the second thing I looked at to see how similar the results trully are. Well, they surely are similar.

For what that matters, I don''t remember to have seen a H&A design with score above 1 for light return on the DiamCalc scale. Looking at these two, one may think that the H&A quality concept already incorporates some tradeoff between contrast and brilliance.
Is that a bit of fsh eye on the flat diamond? The score does not pick it up but the picture does... the thick girdle must be helping too.

The IS and other more colorful (Gilbertonscope) view does not make much of a difference - it takes some guessing to rationalize what represents contrast in which.

If I were looking for stud earrings at my preffered size (small: 3-4mm!) than, #2 it is - I want a glistering dot up there. A large stone cut like #2 would inescapably remind me of a flat saucer.
20.gif

Oh, Jonathan ! You surely know to keep your fan base interested
9.gif
Thanks for the nice break!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
for a ring the h&a for a pendant the other one.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 2:43:23 PM
Author: Midnight
Becareful to vote correctly!!!
32.gif
The ''diamond02.gem'' download corresponds to the FIRST picture below the poll question and vice versa. Jonathan, you might want clarify and edit it.
Thanks Midnight. I did just this in my post with diamond02.gem attachment. Folks ... you can''t go by the static images. You must have the diamonds rocking in front of you to do this right. Will try to hop on later or tomorrow.

Thanks for clarifying Midnight.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond X-ray !?
These are snapshots of GA screens with the options ''incandescent light'' and white backgroud.
How did you go about the business of looking at these two - these pictures look like X-ray pictures to me, or charts or maps of sorts. Informative - but in rather abstract way, that is. I really do not mean this to sound harsh. I surely admire the technology and find these remarkably compelling among all other means of presenting diamonds online. ''Attractive'' would be allot said though. You know, perfectly fine for surgery, but not for choosing a date.

I got these two moving too (in particular: a vertical swing of 30 degrees, 30 frames with 6 frames/s) to no avail. ''Got CAT Scan rather than Xray !

streamline.JPG

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, kinda like the checks in the mail.
2.gif
11.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I picked stone2 as I prefer the bolder flashes of light and color and the defined arrows!

Edited to add: Now I am confused - to clarify my vote, I voted for the stone in the diamond02.gem file
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 5:51:16 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 9/26/2005 2:37:27 PM
Author: kaleigh
11.gif
LOL - time to pay the piper!
2.gif
LOL... not only will the piper be paid but a friend of theirs will be also.
21.gif

Kaleigh, I am waiting on the rest of the participants to forward me their address'' and I was going to send them all out in one shot. I should have them all this week. FYI, all who participated in the "New Teaching" thread, even if they did get half or all of the answer wrong (btw most got it right!) will be getting gift certificates for them and a friend. I know when I''m sitting down for some java I enjoy it more when I am sharing it with another.

Interesting thing about that thread ... even those who did not know which orientation to which the facet was twisted (east or west) were still able to identfify, through the crown, the facet whose azimuth deviated from ideal. Bravo consumers.
36.gif
You all are a smart crowd here.

Warm regards,
Jonathan

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 6:57:36 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
I picked stone2 as I prefer the bolder flashes of light and color and the defined arrows!

Edited to add: Now I am confused - to clarify my vote, I voted for the stone in the diamond02.gem file
2.gif
Thank you Jade for your input. I can''t tell you how much I appreciate it and this goes to all of you.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2005 2:47:59 PM
Author: belle
and i think it would be neat if you answered the questions in this https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/distroted-fire-result-in-brilliancescope.32784/ thread first!
20.gif
Dear belle,

Writing from home today. The study in this thread reveals things way more profound about the BrillianceScope than chasing interference colors that do not exist anymore. I will give you my personal cell phone # in PM as I''d like to share with you some of the profound discoveries we are making with Helium, ASET, Red Reflectors and human observation and how they correllate to other modern technologies. If you are really this interested in researching this subject as you say you are I''ll look out for your pm and we can discuss. If you like we can also discuss some of the other technologies and their correllations as well if you like and if time allows. In this thread 2 technologies that show correllations to both stones are Gem Advisor and BrillianceScope which we''ll delve into deeper in upcoming stuff.

Without going into too great detail at this point some of these discoveries have been...

a. The sensitivity of the BrillianceScope exam.
b. How accurate it is to human eye observations (with stones we typically do not purchase for stock)
c. How it correllates to the metrics of
1. dispersion,
2. contrast brilliance,
3. brightness,
4. scintillation and
5. leakage

I''m sure you''re not here to busy my chops while the forum is having fun with this experiment so I''ll look out for your pm and we''ll exchange phone calls.
21.gif
2.gif
If my web designer allows me to break away tomorrow (I pay this guy by the hour) I''ll scan in the stones you link in that thread and take pictures for your study.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 8:12:01 PM
Author: Rhino

Date: 9/26/2005 2:47:59 PM
Author: belle
and i think it would be neat if you answered the questions in this https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/distroted-fire-result-in-brilliancescope.32784/ thread first!
20.gif
Dear belle,

Writing from home today. The study in this thread reveals things way more profound about the BrillianceScope than chasing interference colors that do not exist anymore. I will give you my personal cell phone # in PM as I'd like to share with you some of the profound discoveries we are making with Helium, ASET, Red Reflectors and human observation and how they correllate to other modern technologies. If you are really this interested in researching this subject as you say you are I'll look out for your pm and we can discuss. If you like we can also discuss some of the other technologies and their correllations as well if you like and if time allows. In this thread 2 technologies that show correllations to both stones are Gem Advisor and BrillianceScope which we'll delve into deeper in upcoming stuff.

Without going into too great detail at this point some of these discoveries have been...

a. The sensitivity of the BrillianceScope exam.
b. How accurate it is to human eye observations (with stones we typically do not purchase for stock)
c. How it correllates to the metrics of
1. dispersion,
2. contrast brilliance,
3. brightness,
4. scintillation and
5. leakage

I'm sure you're not here to busy my chops while the forum is having fun with this experiment so I'll look out for your pm and we'll exchange phone calls.
21.gif
2.gif
If my web designer allows me to break away tomorrow (I pay this guy by the hour) I'll scan in the stones you link in that thread and take pictures for your study.

Kind regards,
Jonathan
forgive me, oh mighty deemer of profound worthiness...
but rainbows are for chasing
2.gif

apparently answers from rhinos are too...

what makes you think there aren't more people than just myself interested in these results?
are your studies as a vendor more important than my questions as a consumer? pray tell. are these boards for consumer education, or profound views pushed forward at the expense of views deemed not so?
am i interested in your other discoveries? sure, but when you agreed to post the results in that thread over a month ago, i thought there would be answers. instead, here is yet another thread that you have busied yourself with.

no, i am not trying to busy your chops...if i were doing that i would be coming up with a different question that i don't have an answer to yet. i call it focused.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
This thread went OT and we're removing messages that are not related to the original post.

We suggest Jonathan to write an article about his study to describe the experimental techniques, results and discussion of his observations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results