shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond would you choose?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do pursue the vs2, I would also ask if it has brown body tint, which I sort of feel like I see. While I like brown tint and have a diamond that is M color with brown body tint, this is definitely a deal breaker in a F color stone, IMO.

GIA doesn’t note body color under I think K color.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I know nothing about how Canada works in terms of customs and such, but I do know in the UK and Australia sometimes you end up getting hit for import twice or it's a lengthy and annoying process to get such fees refunded to you, so I'd just say make sure it's not one of those cases

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
OP, since you asked why I wouldn’t choose #2 it’s because I don’t like spready 60/60 diamonds (generally speaking, as I wouldn’t rule them out). I prefer small tables and high crowns, swoon. I don’t prefer a 33 crown angle, though the 75% LGF is desirable for nice fat arrows.

I also think it could have clarity issues for a vs2 and I’m concerned about the crystals, as they are the grade setting issue for clarity. Are they black or white crystals? Some are on the table and in an over 2 carat stone, that might bug the tick out of you if you can see them. I’d have to see it to evaluate it more.

Plus, I am a fire and sparkle person over bright flashes. If you want to check out my IG, it’s yatcube. I have videos of my asscher, and the CBI sapphire stone. I’m not suggesting you get a superideal since it’s likely out of your budget though BG is having some Black Friday sales and I haven’t checked his website or WF... which btw, WF next category below ACA is I believe expert selection which includes stones that would have made ACA but since they have Fluor they didn’t, so it may very well be worth checking the expert selection there.

Alright, you now have a new follower:)
I don’t know of the crystals are black or white, I guess I’ll have to see this live..:)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let's all be clear than when we Canadians talk about picking things up in the US to "save" money we are talking about committing fraud by smuggling the goods back into Canada!:lol: I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it, but I do think we should be honest about what we are talking about! By law, you are supposed to declare purchases and pay the taxes when you cross the border. Just saying this so the OP knows what they are doing.

Also, IMO body tint in an E color stone is nothing to worry about.

I have not seen them live as they are in JA but the people there I’ve written to seen to think the Si might be a bit cloudy because of the spots on the crown, whereas the Vs, they say it is gorgeous. But the Vs has Fluo..

I don't know the ins and outs of fluo, but I think at Med with a VS it is typically not an issue. But that is why you will take it to a local independent appraiser, right? :) And I suggest doing it in the US with an independent appraiser so you can return right away if needed. Your Canadian jeweler has a vested interest in you NOT buying a diamond elsewhere. YOu need the opinion of someone who does not personally sell diamonds.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
Let's all be clear than when we Canadians talk about picking things up in the US to "save" money we are talking about committing fraud by smuggling the goods back into Canada!:lol: I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it, but I do think we should be honest about what we are talking about! By law, you are supposed to declare purchases and pay the taxes when you cross the border. Just saying this so the OP knows what they are doing.

I don't know the ins and outs of fluo, but I think at Med with a VS it is typically not an issue. But that is why you will take it to a local independent appraiser, right? :) And I suggest doing it in the US with an independent appraiser so you can return right away if needed. Your Canadian jeweler has a vested interest in you NOT buying a diamond elsewhere. YOu need the opinion of someone who does not personally sell diamonds.

So it is clear, I save taxes on the diamond by having it shipped, like all the people who would buy it online (USA) , but I do declare my goods coming back home:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know of the crystals are black or white, I guess I’ll have to see this live..:)

Also, the depth is 62.6 and I pretty much for me draw the line at 61.9 because even if it is a small amount, you are paying for stone you can’t see (says the woman who bought an asscher lol).

Brown body color is very much seen as a negative in the trade. Victor Canera has an informative article about it. I’ll see if I can find it.

If you like it (many do) and like Fluor you also like it for the discount, then it’s a win-win if you think you won’t want to trade or sell it at some point.

It is something you should be aware of before purchasing.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be wrong about the slight brown undertone, but I feel like I have an eye for it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can’t tell on the video if I’m seeing dirt or crystal. If you buy it and you see it right away, then send it back lol, as it will likely only get worse.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's an E for Christ sake... there will be no brown undertone.

Once again INCORRECT INFORMATION.

Edited: ask about this particular diamond and if it has brown undertones, but body color IS A ISSUE with the mines that are left and any diamond can have body tone, even a D.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell on the video if I’m seeing dirt or crystal. If you buy it and you see it right away, then send it back lol, as it will likely only get worse.

What can get worse?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, I tend to like the brown body color, but it is something you should know if your stone has before you buy.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
What can get worse?

Not to speak for Whitewave, but I'm quite sure what is meant is that you noticing something will only get worse - as in, it will only bug you more significantly over time if you already noticed something right away.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it depends on how obesessive you can be lol but if it bothers you in the beginning, your eye will train itself to find it every time you look at it. Personally, I can tolerate a lot of clarity issues but many many people can’t.

So with the 29 day return policy (I learned the hard way with BN that it has to be back with them on day 30, not sent out on day 30) if you find yourself focusing on them, it might get worse the longer you have it.

@cflutist what do you think of the clarity plot on the VS2 choice?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

This was going through my mind re declaring the stone when coming across the border into Canada, I am in Canada too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So it is clear, I save taxes on the diamond by having it shipped, like all the people who would buy it online (USA) , but I do declare my goods coming back home:)

lol... Gotcha! In that case, just food for thought, you can have JA ship it right to you. They collect Canadian taxes for you and they also pay return shipping via courier if you needed to do that, including all the insurance. They also refund the Canadian taxes upon the return. I used this service recently and it was very easy. Just food for thought! I also understand wanting to pick it up in person, I have done it many times.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
This was going through my mind re declaring the stone when coming across the border into Canada, I am in Canada too.

Of course it will be done, i need to have the ring insured,and I want everything in order to do so:)

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
lol... Gotcha! In that case, just food for thought, you can have JA ship it right to you. They collect Canadian taxes for you and they also pay return shipping via courier if you needed to do that, including all the insurance. They also refund the Canadian taxes upon the return. I used this service recently and it was very easy. Just food for thought! I also understand wanting to pick it up in person, I have done it many times.

Nope. If I do this, I need to pay taxes on the diamond ( Us and Cad) whereas not the Us taxes if shipped in the Us. That saves me a lot of money:)

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

You will still have to pay taxes (pst & gst, or combined taxes, depending on which province you live in) on the value declared for the stone.

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
You will still have to pay taxes (pst & gst, or combined taxes, depending on which province you live in) on the value declared for the stone.

Yes, but I will Only pay taxes on the diamond, not the diamond plus Us taxes as if I would buy in a store

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but I will Only pay taxes on the diamond, not the diamond plus Us taxes as if I would buy in a store

Keep in mind the exchange rate too for the declared value for tax purposes.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having a terrible time looking for a 8.2mm F color for 22k.

Did you put that VS2 on hold?

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
I’m having a terrible time looking for a 8.2mm F color for 22k.

Did you put that VS2 on hold?

Yes, it is out of the country so it will take 4 days to get here, they have to send it to the gemologist and then, one more day to get to me.. :(

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to me about F color. Does that match the ring you have? Although I did a cursory search of Gs and nothing stood out but I also didn’t do a deep dive...

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
Talk to me about F color. Does that match the ring you have? Although I did a cursory search of Gs and nothing stood out but I also didn’t do a deep dive...

I have F Vs in my ring:)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, I assumed.

Also be aware that lately, JA hasn’t been great about keeping up with ship by dates, especially during a sale. The last I read they were hiring more people to help with that.

I would add a week to the dates in your head. If it ships on time, fabulous, and if not you won’t be disappointed.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
867931AC-DDF5-4BC0-9563-BD2CDD9F4A95.jpeg

Is this the image from JA for the VS2?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results