shape
carat
color
clarity

Which diamond should I choose?

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm ordering my engagement ring from JA (my boyfriend wanted me to be involved with the process). I'm between two diamonds right now http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.39-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-809274 and http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-686284. They will be going into a halo ring with a yellow gold basket and white gold band. (I have the J on hold right now so it says not available). I asked for the ASETs for both but apparently they would need to be imported from India so JA couldn't provide them. Can anybody please advise between these two diamonds? Thanks in advance.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely no on the first one. The second one is much better. What is your budget so we can take a look to see if there
are any other options in you range.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the quick reply. We are looking in the $5K-$5.3K range.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutme77|1454539028|3986471 said:
I'm ordering my engagement ring from JA (my boyfriend wanted me to be involved with the process). I'm between two diamonds right now http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.39-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-809274 and http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.51-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-686284. They will be going into a halo ring with a yellow gold basket and white gold band. (I have the J on hold right now so it says not available). I asked for the ASETs for both but apparently they would need to be imported from India so JA couldn't provide them. Can anybody please advise between these two diamonds? Thanks in advance.

Waste of time both of them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree that the K is lovely. I'm just afraid that it will be too yellow/warm. Can I ask what is wrong with the original J? Thanks again.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So my bf looked at both and said we could go with the K. Ring was ordered tonight - I can't wait!!! (I guess I have to since the ring has to be made and he is still deciding how to propose)

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
That is a lovely 8 main cushion brilliant and have been watching it myself, Congratulations!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good job. Let is know what you think of it when you get it!

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll post pics/opinion when I get it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
absolutme77|1454589142|3986736 said:
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'll post pics/opinion when I get it.

Did it come? How'd it look?

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The complete ring won't be ready until February 23rd and I have no idea when he's proposing after that. I'll post it when I have it. :)
Ugh.....I know it's going to be a long couple of weeks. He wanted me to be involved with the ring so he knew I'd get what I wanted but he's planning a surprise for the proposal.

And by the way, thank you so much for the suggestion on the K. Everytime I look at the diamond on JA I love it even more. You picked a gorgeous diamond and I'm so excited about it.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Exciting! Did you get to see the diamond loose?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a very high maintenance setting. Did the wearer chose it, specifically?

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I will be the wearer so yes. Can you please let me know what you mean?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutme77|1454809436|3987893 said:
I will be the wearer so yes. Can you please let me know what you mean?

Please read this thread, it should sum it up for you: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-online-retailer-for-a-custom-setting.203660/[/URL]

You will have to baby that setting. No sleeping with it, working out with it, gardening with it, showering with it, washing dishes with it, walking the dog you will need to hold the leash in your other hand.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, excellently written post. I think I will be okay. Even in a stronger setting, I wasn't planning to wash dishes, shower, etc with it. But I truly appreciate the input and head the warnings from your post.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey:

Thanks. That's our goal. To make sure your decisions are informed.

If you were just the buyer and not the wearer and just decided to shoot from the hip and go for a super blingtastic ring like that without knowing what the wearer wanted, it would have been a different conversation. A lot of women expect to wear their rings 24/7. My own aunt wears hers all the time and the only time it gets cleaned is when she's in town and I pry it off her hand and clean it out of pity. It's also a big badly cut ugly rock, but that's a different issue. Rings like the one you are buying are fun and give a lot of joy to those who like their bling large and in charge, but they take more care than a solitaire or three stone. So we like to ask.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So, I know the ring is delivered but not sure when I am getting it. A family member is holding it for us and took a peak. They won't let me see pictures but they said that the head of the setting also looks like white gold even though it's supposed to be yellow gold. Would 14K YG look WG/silverish? I don't want to tell my BF and wait for the proposal but I think I may have to if the ring is wrong and needs to be remade so that it has a YG head. As another option, since it's a K would I be better off leaving it in WG (if that's what it winds up being) so that it appears "whiter"?

This was the setting again - http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/designer-engagement-rings/14k-white-gold-james-allen-exclusive-engagement-ring-item-49513

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OK, so I called JA and they did make the ring in all WG. First they said that's the way it is supposed to be made but when I pointed out their own answer to a question asked about the ring being two-toned, they said I was right and would make the ring over, if I want. Again, remember, I have not seen this ring and may not for weeks. The associate I spoke to says based on the video of the diamond, it faces up very white with almost no warmth at all. So based on my research on this site, and as I asked above, would I be better off leaving it in white gold or should I have the head made in yellow gold. I would like it to face up as white as possible.

Oh and EB, she absolutely loved the stone you helped pick out. Thanks again.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Added separate thread for advice on this but was too late to delete last two posts.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm returning the setting so we got the ring today so I can send back to JA on Monday. I'm keeping the diamond though and wanted to share better pictures of it. And again, EB, it's gorgeous IRL.

_2316.jpeg

_2317.jpeg

_2318.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good decision. What setting are you getting instead?

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm not 100% sure yet. I like another JA setting and I am also getting a quote from BE on one of their CAD settings and will be deciding between the two. I know it will definitely be a single halo but deciding on the type of shank.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In it's final setting - went with JA again. This time it is platinum instead of 14k WG. I love the new setting. Can anybody tell me what size melee they used? Thanks. (Including one hand pic and two macro pictures where I got as much detail as I could to show the melee.)

_2604.jpeg

_2605.jpeg

_2606.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! So glad you were able to change the setting! :appl: Just curious, why do you want to know the melee size? People here would only be able to guess.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted to know in case I do some future projects with stones and I liked the size of the ones that came with this setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
absolutme77|1459039846|4011518 said:
I wanted to know in case I do some future projects with stones and I liked the size of the ones that came with this setting.

You probably need to ask James Allen in that case.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results