shape
carat
color
clarity

which diamond appraisal course to choose

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Hi...

I am newbie to diamond world and become more interested in diamond and colored stones appraisal. I am considering a course. Please advise which course I should take, pros and cons of online or on campus courses as well as fee.
I think that diamond appraisal should be in class however it is rather long distance for me to drive to GIA class. If online course works well, I wonder GIA or Canadian Institute of Gemology which was said not much based on modern equipment to judge a stone. Is there any other reputed institute that I should google before applying?

Thank a lot in advance!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA doesn't teach appraising although their online/mail gemology program is really quite good. What is it that you're hoping to learn and why (yes, it' matters)?

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your sharing!
I learn it for my own interest and it will help with my shopping in the future. I am also interested in precious gems and color diamond appraisal. A career in the industry can be possible if I have relevant knowledge as well

I think GIA provides education courses...please correct if I misunderstood.
Thank you

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
GIA doesn't teach appraising although their online/mail gemology program is really quite good. What is it that you're hoping to learn and why (yes, it' matters)?

I'm actually really curious about this. How does one become a jewelry appraiser? I'd assume you'd need a solid education in jewelry, how its made, how to value stones, economics, but also, an internship or apprenticeship? Is it something usually passed on in a family?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most people start in the trade. That often means retail sales but it includes manufacturing, mining, cutting, and even accounting. It helps to generate as much experience as possible and have that be as varied as possible. Yes, it takes gemological training, and the biggest by far is GIA. They’re not the only place, for example the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-a) offers an excellent program. Then you need some appraisal training. Common sources for Americans are the American Gem Society, American Association of Appraisers, National Association of Jewelry Appraisers and several others. Then there’s a matter of practice. It takes a fair amount. Most of the credentialing associations require at least 3-5 years of full time experience in appraising. It requires an ongoing program of continuing education to maintain the credentials. Things change remarkably quickly for what feels like a bit of a staid profession. That comes from coursework with the above mentioned societies and others.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m starting a Gemology course myself this year. I’m retired so it’s just for my own interest. Over the years I’ve gleaned a signifcant amount of knowledge and experience but I want to “fill in any holes” and delve deeper into studying crystalline structures. I’m planning on eventually buying myself a very nice microscope. My interest is coloured gemstones and minerals - love diamonds for what they are but the huge wide wide of coloured gems is far more fascinating to me.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Most people start in the trade. That often means retail sales but it includes manufacturing, mining, cutting, and even accounting. It helps to generate as much experience as possible and have that be as varied as possible. Yes, it takes gemological training, and the biggest by far is GIA. They’re not the only place, for example the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (Gem-a) offers an excellent program. Then you need some appraisal training. Common sources for Americans are the American Gem Society, American Association of Appraisers, National Association of Jewelry Appraisers and several others. Then there’s a matter of practice. It takes a fair amount. Most of the credentialing associations require at least 3-5 years of full time experience in appraising. It requires an ongoing program of continuing education to maintain the credentials. Things change remarkably quickly for what feels like a bit of a staid profession. That comes from coursework with the above mentioned societies and others.

Wow...It would be a very long journey to be a professional appraisal...I don't think I could study all of these even I hope I can. The place where I am living (Abu Dhabi) has really limited access to these resources.
Thank you for your explanation!

TUTU

Rough_Rock
I’m starting a Gemology course myself this year. I’m retired so it’s just for my own interest. Over the years I’ve gleaned a signifcant amount of knowledge and experience but I want to “fill in any holes” and delve deeper into studying crystalline structures. I’m planning on eventually buying myself a very nice microscope. My interest is coloured gemstones and minerals - love diamonds for what they are but the huge wide wide of coloured gems is far more fascinating to me.
That's sound great! Seem that I have the same plan as yours...
May I know which course are you taking? I am also much interested in colored gems. What do you think of online courses...are they effective? Thank you!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you've got money and/or are looking for an employment credential, take GIA's long distance program. If you want a more scientific bent, take the Gem-A one. If you're tight and just want to learn gem material in a sort-of formal program, take the ISG one. If you're REALLY tight on money, hit the library, gem shows and museums. Read read read. Some of the best gemologists I know have zero formal training.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here in Australia I’m going to do the diploma offered by our equiv. of GIA. It isn’t cheap, about $8,000 for two years worth. I’m doing a mixture of on line and weekly classes. Seeing as I’ve spent over 30 years reading and doing my own research, I doubt if I’ll learn too much that is new. The truth is a course is good but nothing replaces experience and lots of reading.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also interesting to note that many of us that are full-time appraisers are in the same age category. The Baby Boomers. So I personally see the need in the future for qualified jewelry appraisers. It's an interesting profession but keep in mind that most of us spent many years in retail, wholesale, estate buying, diamond grading and other areas before becoming full time appraisers. The gemology world is constantly changing. There's alot to know about valuation as well. Gem ID is just one aspect of the appraisal business. Study with one of the accredited programs. That's a good start.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also interesting to note that many of us that are full-time appraisers are in the same age category. The Baby Boomers. So I personally see the need in the future for qualified jewelry appraisers. It's an interesting profession but keep in mind that most of us spent many years in retail, wholesale, estate buying, diamond grading and other areas before becoming full time appraisers. The gemology world is constantly changing. There's alot to know about valuation as well. Gem ID is just one aspect of the appraisal business. Study with one of the accredited programs. That's a good start.

Ah yes, the 20 stone Gem ID final had me shaking in my boots, but I passed it on the first attempt, :mrgreen2:. Never did work in the jewelry business, but it would have been fun.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Really much appreciate your valuable advice...I feel thankful having come up to the rich resource forum here. As I tried to buy the first piece of diamond for my own, I have read and read to earn more knowledge then became fascinated with its beauty. Many friends of mine have bought a fair amount of diamonds but it is strange that they knew very little of them...all they need is just a GIA cert and a large table...Even the local diamond sellers know nothing about AGS or ASET or Ideal scope.
Ironically, as I knew a little about what a beautiful diamond is, I haven't been able to get one for myself since last year:lol:.
First thing first, a formal course is to be taken!
Thanks all!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@denverappraiser and @Modified Brilliant Thank you for responding and statisfying my curiosity. For now i'm quite happy being a stay at home mom, but I'm always interested in hearing about peoples professions and how they got there. :)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 hey I know this is an old thread but I too am interested in doing some gemology classes. Our GAA seems very expensive & the online teaching doesn't seem very clear or organised. :confused: I would rather do GIA so it's internationally recognised but I'm unsure how to do the lab component ... I've emailed them but no reply so far. Any advise?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 hey I know this is an old thread but I too am interested in doing some gemology classes. Our GAA seems very expensive & the online teaching doesn't seem very clear or organised. :confused: I would rather do GIA so it's internationally recognised but I'm unsure how to do the lab component ... I've emailed them but no reply so far. Any advise?
I dropped out of the GAA because it was so expensive and they’ve made a max 1 year course into 2 years to get another $3,000 out of you. And the lab (Sydney) 6 or more people per table sharing 1 instrument and the sample gems so tiny chipped and degraded. A 3 hour lab class where you get like 20 minutes of working time, the rest just waiting your turn. Doing SG we had 2 instruments working between 23 in the class! it And the lab kit you have to buy from them, huge mark up too.
My understanding with the online ones is they send you the gems (you pay a deposit) and then return them. My husband is doing a Bachelor of Geology by correspondence and that’s how they do it for him.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 Awesome so would he recommend GIA online? I like that I can do small chunks over time whilst working full time. :read:

This is the overall aim eventually:
Graduate Gemologist
The Graduate Gemologist diploma program taken via Distance Education is a combination of five online eLearning courses and three hands-on lab classes. Lab classes are offered at GIA campuses worldwide.

I couldn't seem to find any further details on lab classes via distance (an oxymoron I suppose!) but as long as I know it's possible I'll get started... :geek:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dropped out of the GAA because it was so expensive and they’ve made a max 1 year course into 2 years to get another $3,000 out of you. And the lab (Sydney) 6 or more people per table sharing 1 instrument and the sample gems so tiny chipped and degraded. A 3 hour lab class where you get like 20 minutes of working time, the rest just waiting your turn. Doing SG we had 2 instruments working between 23 in the class! it And the lab kit you have to buy from them, huge mark up too.

This is now leading me away from considering doing a course with the GAA in the future.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is now leading me away from considering doing a course with the GAA in the future.
If you want hours and hours on chemical composition, atomic structure and the million weird names for crystal structures it’s fine. We spent hours studying “perfect” crystal structures to then be told “oh, you won’t find them like this in nature”! I wasn’t planning on being a geologist in the field but that’s the direction of the course. If you want to learn to recognize and perform the various assessments to determine what a cut gemstone is, that’s like only 20% of the course. And diamonds is a completely separate course you can only do after you’ve done the 2 year one.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
I took the GIA online course with the intention to finish GIA diploma. The 1st module seemed basic and OK but I found the communication by email did not working well and helpful. So far I haven't received my certificate even though I emailed to update my address. There was no response! Besides, I think the material is systematic but not really in depth...I quitted because of the 2 mentioned reasons.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the sad things about the jewelry appraisal industry is that there are few, if any, legal requirements about hanging out a shield and calling yourself a jewelry appraiser. Many of the "appraisers" you will find in the phone book, assuming you are old enough to know what a phone book is, are people with some jewelry experience who decided to become an appraiser.

Appraising, however, is difficult to do correctly. A small percentage of appraisers have taken extensive course studies and have learned to apply what they have learned into doing the job correctly. To do what they do will take years of work and study, but if you are wanting knowledge about what you are considering to purchase, spending a few extra dollars with one of these dedicated appraisers is an excellent investment.

Wink

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I took the GIA online course with the intention to finish GIA diploma. The 1st module seemed basic and OK but I found the communication by email did not working well and helpful. So far I haven't received my certificate even though I emailed to update my address. There was no response! Besides, I think the material is systematic but not really in depth...I quitted because of the 2 mentioned reasons.
If you paid your money and completed the course within the allotted time, they should give you your certificate. GIA is a giant company and I can imagine some bureaucratic type snafu's, but I would stay on them. They're really pretty responsive to students. If they owe you a certificate, you should get it. Drop out if you like, but I don't think you'll get a refund. As you point out, it's not all that in-depth and, aside from the gem-id class, most people can punch through it pretty quickly. You're already out the money so you might as well get the paper. You might even learn something.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results