shape
carat
color
clarity

Which design for ruby?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I think the width diameter of the ruby to the rb is really critical. I'd probably prefer something half to three quarters the width of the ruby as the diameter for the rb.

I agree, and whatever route I go design-wise, I'm going to ask the jeweler to recommend the size of the rounds. And I'll go with what they say since they're the experts.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just bought this moi & toi with a spinel. Just offering another option!
CA2A5EB1-0A23-4D4B-8042-079ED916AC63.jpeg

Omg! So you’re the one who got that from Gilded Lane! You should create a thread on that!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I really love the three stone because it’s classic. The ruby is very striking!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ruby, very nice colour.

Yes, maybe 0.3 carats would look too big, depending on the design.

You probably like the yellow diamonds against the ruby because the yellow brings out the red in rubies - you can also have white diamonds but get gold prongs for the ruby to bring out the red as another option. I've seen a lot of modern ruby rings in otherwise white gold setting that have prominent gold claws probably for that reason.

If you like swirly, you can look at Belle Epoque rings for inspirations maybe. Here are some examples - I know the second one has pearls but there could be diamonds in their place:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ruby, very nice colour.

Yes, maybe 0.3 carats would look too big, depending on the design.

You probably like the yellow diamonds against the ruby because the yellow brings out the red in rubies - you can also have white diamonds but get gold prongs for the ruby to bring out the red as another option. I've seen a lot of modern ruby rings in otherwise white gold setting that have prominent gold claws probably for that reason.

If you like swirly, you can look at Belle Epoque rings for inspirations maybe. Here are some examples - I know the second one has pearls but there could be diamonds in their place:

Thank you! Yes, I'm definitely setting it in yellow gold, with yellow prongs. I asked for price quotes with white stones but also with yellow ones. I've seen a few ruby rings with yellow side stones or halos, and I love that bold look. Love all the belle epoque pieces!

Look at this Oscar Heyman ring, my God! My ruby is way smaller but I dig this red and yellow extravaganza. If I did yellow, it would have to be teeny melee, because budget.
302458.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results