shape
carat
color
clarity

Which design for ruby?

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Hello friends,

It's been ages since I posted on PS. Just been very busy with work and life, I guess. And I haven't made any big bling purchases, until now...

I have recently acquired a ruby. It's on its way to me, and I am torn between these two designs. They'd cost basically the same.

Which design would you vote for?

Design 1 would be a three stone ring with my ruby in the center flanked by two .30 round diamonds that I already own.

I feel like it is simple and classic but maybe a bit expected?

Design 2 is an estate piece I screenshotted ages ago - I don't even remember where it's from - maybe Lang Antiques? IDK. My ruby would be in the center and the top and bottom would be my existing .30 round diamonds. (I know in the image all three stones are round whereas my ruby is oval.)

I feel like this design is very unique, and gives amazing finger coverage, and it's just very cool. But is it too weird and I'd regret the design and wish I'd gone with a classic design?

Or I could just chuck all these ideas and go with a basic solitaire in 18k yg. :)

I've attached a photo of the ruby. It's 5.12 mm x 4.49

How would you guys set it? Advice pls. Thanks in advance!

(Also, I hate bezels so I would definitely never bezel it. I also do not want to do diamond melee because I already have halo rings.)

il_794xN.4183459515_jalv (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220908-220212~2.png Screenshot_20220908-220530.png

What fabulous color! Congrats on the purchase!! So I prefer the traditional 3-stone in this case when considering the shape of your ruby. I was going to suggest maybe jazzing it up with side diamonds in fancy shapes like trillions, chevrons, or pears, but it makes more sense to use the rounds you already own. Definitely set the ruby with diamonds though, and not just as a solitaire. Because, why not?! :P2

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
AH, Inken stroke again - I am sure the ruby is beautiful!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous Ruby! I think something more imaginative could be done with it and your diamonds.

No solitaire!

What about using just one of your diamonds and making a toi et moi ring, either bypass style or side by side? Then save your remaining diamond for another project?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone!

My first impression is that you should go for is option #2 because how you described it. Because of the actual words you used. It excites you. And it’s something you’ve liked for a while.

Have you mocked up the three stones on your finger, real size wise for you to see proportions irl?
In the orientation of both designs. That may also help - a lot!

Either cut out the actual shapes and sizes to tape on your finger
Or
Cut and paste with pictures on computer.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
What fabulous color! Congrats on the purchase!! So I prefer the traditional 3-stone in this case when considering the shape of your ruby. I was going to suggest maybe jazzing it up with side diamonds in fancy shapes like trillions, chevrons, or pears, but it makes more sense to use the rounds you already own. Definitely set the ruby with diamonds though, and not just as a solitaire. Because, why not?! :P2

Yes I'm definitely keen on pairing with diamonds. I love the contrast between the red and the stark white.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
AH, Inken stroke again - I am sure the ruby is beautiful!

Thank you! Yes she found me an unheated Burmese vivid red (GRS says pigeon blood but it's GRS). I'm excited to see it in person.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous Ruby! I think something more imaginative could be done with it and your diamonds.

No solitaire!

What about using just one of your diamonds and making a toi et moi ring, either bypass style or side by side? Then save your remaining diamond for another project?

Hmm I have been looking at toi et moi rings, that's actually how I stumbled upon that Edwardian ring I posted. But somehow I didn't like any of the toi et moi rings I saw. I will keep looking for ideas tho, I'm in no rush to set the ruby.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely stone!

My first impression is that you should go for is option #2 because how you described it. Because of the actual words you used. It excites you. And it’s something you’ve liked for a while.

Have you mocked up the three stones on your finger, real size wise for you to see proportions irl?
In the orientation of both designs. That may also help - a lot!

Either cut out the actual shapes and sizes to tape on your finger
Or
Cut and paste with pictures on computer.

Yes the second one is really stunning. I love it so much that I'm thinking even if I did it, I wouldn't regret it.

So I've actually seen a CAD drawing of this ring with a generic ruby round but I can ask the jeweler I'm working with to update the CAD with my ruby's proportions if I decide to keep it.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Found another design I liked, this time on James Allen. You have to imagine the ruby instead of the diamond. I don't know if JA sets outside stones... Screenshot_20220909-090431~2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That latest design is so pretty too; very modern but the flow and proportions are :kiss2:

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
That latest design is so pretty too; very modern but the flow and proportions are :kiss2:

Thank you. JA has some really lovely settings actually, and they are pretty well-priced. They have a starburst halo that's unfortunately too expensive but gorg.

viridian

Rough_Rock
I've photoshopped your ruby into the ring designs you liked for you to compare. Hope this will help you get a better picture how the ring will be! I'd love to see how it turns out :)
Untitled12_20220910233825.png Untitled12_20220910233910.png

Attachments

• Untitled12_20220910235048.png
    Untitled12_20220910235048.png
    237.3 KB · Views: 24

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I've photoshopped your ruby into the ring designs you liked for you to compare. Hope this will help you get a better picture how the ring will be! I'd love to see how it turns out :)
Untitled12_20220910233825.png Untitled12_20220910233910.png

Omg you are so sweet Thanks so much. In your photoshopped version I'm really liking the JA ring actually!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
That vertical three ring reminds me of another of my favorites.
1662849432103.png

Wow they are so similar. Where's this one from? Do you own it?

Timor

Shiny_Rock
I think I’d go for the second design! I think it would be one of those rings that look better on the finger than on its own.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
@rubyshoes, what size finger will it be worn on? I think that makes a big difference, as those examples you gave look much bigger than your ruby.

Here are some examples of a three stone ring for inspiration, though I think the stones again are bigger than yours:

I also think something like this is nice - boosts finger coverage but not too OTT - will work with a smaller stone too I think.
5ae0ac77-bd4b-4c36-b37c-aefc01005099.jpg

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I think three stone rings are like cluster rings - the proportions makes all the difference. So would be helpful if you could post pics of the stones on your hands so that we can get a senses of this.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
@rubyshoes, what size finger will it be worn on? I think that makes a big difference, as those examples you gave look much bigger than your ruby.

Here are some examples of a three stone ring for inspiration, though I think the stones again are bigger than yours:

I also think something like this is nice - boosts finger coverage but not too OTT - will work with a smaller stone too I think.
5ae0ac77-bd4b-4c36-b37c-aefc01005099.jpg

Wow such gorgeous rings! I will either wear on ring finger (5) or pointer finger (7).

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I think three stone rings are like cluster rings - the proportions makes all the difference. So would be helpful if you could post pics of the stones on your hands so that we can get a senses of this.

Yes, I should receive the ruby tomorrow, and I own the .30 diamonds (currently set in studs) so I'll take a photo of all together and post.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I should receive the ruby tomorrow, and I own the .30 diamonds (currently set in studs) so I'll take a photo of all together and post.

I think the first ring's diamonds are 0.3 carats. Good to hear that you don't have giant fingers (size 9 ish) like me! Look forward to seeing the pics!

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
I have received the ruby and today was a wonderful sunny day so I took lots of pics!!

PXL_20220913_183335433.MP.jpg

In my tradition of giving horrible names to beautiful stones, I have decided to name the ruby Pommo, because it reminds me of pomegranate seeds.

I have taken some photos of Pommo with my beloved Gobby (my double halo yellow diamond ring. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way Pommo pops against the bright yellow, which made me entertain thoughts of fancy yellow side stones or melee. I still do not want a halo though.

PXL_20220913_183524129.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220913_183243389.MP.jpg

I also photographed Pommo with my WF XO pendant as the stones in that are .18 each. I actually like the .18 with the .72 ruby. I feel like my original design with .30 stones is a bit bulky. So maybe I could get .18 ish oval or kite diamonds?

PXL_20220913_183400033.jpg

I also photographed Pommo with my WF DBTY necklace. Those stones are .15 and that size would work as well.

PXL_20220913_182950481_exported_899_1663099288243.jpg

I think I'm starting to like the idea of two diamonds (.15 to .18 ) flanking Pommo.

Either white or maybe even yellow diamonds???????

What are you guys' thoughts?

Lastly, here is a group shot. First is Rosebud - the pink diamond is from Leibish but DBL made the ring. Next is Sapphy - the sapphire is from Finewater and Sally made the ring.

Solly is a Solasfera from GOG and Paunchy is the five stone diamond ring from WF.

Gobby and Valentina (yellow heart) from DBL.

Pommo from Inken Krause.

PXL_20220913_184214222.jpg

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want dainty or statement type ring? After seeing your latest picture, I'm leaning towards the antique 3 stone North-South.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Do you want dainty or statement type ring? After seeing your latest picture, I'm leaning towards the antique 3 stone North-South.

Something vintage looking, maybe swirly. Whether that would be dainty or statement I don't know, but something swirly, or wavy or almost Med inspired. Looking at a lot of Lang's and Era Gem pieces for inspiration.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I think the width diameter of the ruby to the rb is really critical. I'd probably prefer something half to three quarters the width of the ruby as the diameter for the rb.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results