shape
carat
color
clarity

Which cushion diamond?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kitykat

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for my perfect cushion diamond for months. I have come across two totally different diamonds which I am contemplating about. My question is should I buy the higher quality with smaller carat or lower quality with higher carat?
I know these specs are general and do not tell you much on brilliance and actual look of the diamond, but which one in the long run will be the better option?
It¡¯s my first purchase and I want to choose the perfect diamond for me. Please give me some opinions¡¯ and suggestions to which one I should choose.
28.gif

Diamond 1:
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Cushion
. Carat: 1.50
. Color: G
. Clarity: VS1
. Depth %: 71.7
. Table %: 57
. Girdle: M-VTK
. Measurements: 6.70-6.23X4.47 (1.07)
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

Diamond 2:
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Cushion
. Carat: 1.22
. Color: F
. Clarity: VVS1
. Depth %: 68.5
. Table %: 64
. Girdle: STK-XTK
. Measurements: 6.03-6.03X4.13
. Polish: Excellent
. Symmetry: Very Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Have you seen these diamonds in person? Cushions can show very different looks which you can''t predict according to the numbers, so if you have seen them in person that is a bonus. Which one do you like best?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 4:29:53 AM
Author: Lorelei
Welcome!

Have you seen these diamonds in person? Cushions can show very different looks which you can''t predict according to the numbers, so if you have seen them in person that is a bonus. Which one do you like best?

Agreed. There is nothing we can tell you really about these stones without some sort of image. Cushions really need to be bought either with the opinion of a trusted vendor (like Mark at Engagement Rings Direct or Jon at Good Old Gold) or you need to see images.

And what do you mean a better choice in the "long term"? Just to be clear, neither of these stones will ever be an investment, so just make sure you aren''t trying to think of it that way.

kitykat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply
26.gif

I know I have to look at cushion diamonds in person. Thats something I learned from reading many forums in PS.
I am hoping to get some actual pictures soon and more detailed information.
When I do, I will definitely post them!
I am not trying to invest into my engagement ring but rather trying to decide what I am happy with.
Friends who bought diamonds have been telling me to lower the quality and get the bigger carat. Then there are people who tell me to get the better quality and keep it smaller. So my question is condering the slight difference in quality in these two diamonds, should I pick the size or the quality?
I can''t wait to get photographs, this would make my decision easier..
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 10:43:00 AM
Author: kitykat
Thank you for your reply
26.gif

I know I have to look at cushion diamonds in person. Thats something I learned from reading many forums in PS.
I am not trying to invest into my engagement ring but rather trying to decide what I am happy with.
Friends who bought diamonds have been telling me to lower the quality and get the bigger carat. Then there are people who tell me to get the better quality and keep it smaller. So my question is condering the slight difference in quality in these two diamonds, should I pick the size or the quality?
5.gif
It is cut quality which gives a diamond its beauty, not colour or clarity as that comes down to personal preference and whether the diamond is eyeclean or not. Apart from finding a well cut cushion, it then comes down to your personal taste and idea of beauty as cushions can vary tremendously, so go with the one that '' speaks'' to you! If you like the look of the larger diamond then you could go with that one, G VS1 are still high quality specs and you won''t notice any difference with clarity especially to the naked eye.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 11:26:31 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 12/10/2008 10:43:00 AM

Author: kitykat

Thank you for your reply
26.gif

5.gif

It is cut quality which gives a diamond its beauty, not colour or clarity as that comes down to personal preference and whether the diamond is eyeclean or not. Apart from finding a well cut cushion, it then comes down to your personal taste and idea of beauty as cushions can vary tremendously, so go with the one that '' speaks'' to you! If you like the look of the larger diamond then you could go with that one, G VS1 are still high quality specs and you won''t notice any difference with clarity especially to the naked eye.

Well said. That being said though, if the smaller diamond is a looker and the bigger one is dull, I''d pick the smaller one anyday!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think G/VS1 is a great combination (that is what my diamond is). You can save money by not getting the VVS and go bigger. With that said, the two diamonds you picked are different. The first one is more rectangular with a ratio of 1.08 and the second is a perfect square. I know 1.08 sounds like nothing but in real life I could see a big difference between a 1.04 and a 1.08 ratio diamond. Do you want a rectangular shape or square shape? The second point is that if you are after size then a 71% depth of the first diamond will result in the diamond facing up smaller.

Do you have the plots from the GIA certificates? You have to see cushions in person but I find that sometimes the plots are telling too. For example, if it is a modified cushion there is a high probability that it will have a crushed ice look. Other plots with a certain 8 main pattern have a higher chance of being a chunky cushion. None of this is a given but it is just gives you a higher probability.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results