shape
carat
color
clarity

Which considered to be better EGL or IGL

m3csl

Rough_Rock
What I hoped to gain is that after showing the store, where I bought the diamond, that acording to the IGL inspection and certificate the stone worth less than they sold it for me.
I thought I could ask them to replace the diamond to one that stands for what I paid for.
But according to the thread here it seems whatever they will say , they will be right according to what seems to be common in this field.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
m3csl said:
What I hoped to gain is that after showing the store, where I bought the diamond, that acording to the IGL inspection and certificate the stone worth less than they sold it for me.
I thought I could ask them to replace the diamond to one that stands for what I paid for.
But according to the thread here it seems whatever they will say , they will be right according to what seems to be common in this field.

unfortunately they sold you a VS diamond according to their standards, not necessarily GIA or AGS standards.

I would try to keep the diamond clean and enjoy it!! and with any future diamond purchases, stick with GIA/AGS for larger diamonds, or trusted vendors with good return policies for smaller diamonds

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beyond the issue of misinformation etc., do you see the point we are making about how the diamond is a VS in their opinion and there is nothing to say they are wrong and IGL is right? If IGL had come back and said that the diamond was a VVS2, would you have gone back and wanted to give the store more money? Would you have riled against the system? It could have easily gone that way too in matters like this that are opinions. Reductio ad absurdam means that your anger over this is likely misplaced.

To clarify, the misinformation you were given was *perhaps* when your vendor did not suggest that you should buy a GIA stone, or perhaps when he/she did not educate you about clarity and tell you to look at the stone carefully. I do not think they necessarily misinformed you about their opinion that the stone is a VS2. Can you see the difference?

I do believe that if you owned the diamond for a year before you saw the inclusion that it is pretty much an eye clean diamond anyways ;))

Note: GIA graded VS2 stones can also have eye visible inclusions.

m3csl

Rough_Rock
I do believe that if you owned the diamond for a year before you saw the inclusion that it is pretty much an eye clean diamond anyways

Well, I didnt look at it from the right angle during that year as it was on my wife's finger .. but she said she noticed the inclusion since the beggining.

I still didnt get the entire idea about how this industry works .. I guess I'll have to read this thread over and over again to convince myself I understand and accept it ...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this entire debate can be summed up in one sentence: There is NOT standardization across all diamond graders/labs; there IS the ILLUSION of standardization across all graders/labs.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
m3csl|1333914719|3166287 said:

Hey m3csl, I asked before but didn't see a reply: Who is IGL? Some readers presume you meant IGI - did you?

Also, have you spoken with the store about this? They may be more interested in keeping a customer happy than arguing about their interpretation of a clarity grade...especially if there is a history of returns/protests about that interpretation (which there could be).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
m3csl|1333914719|3166287 said:
Have you asked? I can't imagine they much care what IGL thinks it's 'worth', but they may very well be willing to swap you for a different stone that you and she will like better. Most stores are interested in happy customers after all. It's possible there would be a charge for this but I would sort of expect it to be nominal if anything. Threatening a lawsuit over their grading standards seems less likely to get what you want at most places than a polite request and possibly an offer to throw in $100 for an 'upgrade' because your honey is unhappy.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also curious..IGI or IGL? Please tell us.

m3csl

Rough_Rock
Hey m3csl, I asked before but didn't see a reply: Who is IGL? Some readers presume you meant IGI - did you?

Also, have you spoken with the store about this? They may be more interested in keeping a customer happy than arguing about their interpretation of a clarity grade...especially if there is a history of returns/protests about that interpretation (which there could be).

IGL: http://www.igl-labs.com/
EGL: http://www.eglinternational.org/

A frined of mine who is a gammemologist and worked in the Israeli diamond industry told me these are the 2 main, most considered labs in Israel.

I did spoke with the store about this, they insisted the diamond match the certificate no matter what argument I brought up.
Next week I have a meeting with the store manager, but as for now it seems hopeless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results