shape
carat
color
clarity

Which 2ct diamond should I get?

Madsal

Rough_Rock
@icy_jade

I think if you want a round diamond instead of a pear, this would be it.

I love the proportion, seems to be eye clean with very good pricing given its SI clarity, and it's a CBI

If it was not for e ring, I would definitely get an SI diamond like this. In your case the SI should not matter because you are buying for yourself. So you know you can accept its SI clarity status and can decide whether it is mind clean enough for you or not. In my case I have ruled it out as per my explanation in my previous post above.

I am curious as to how beautiful CBI diamonds are though so do update afterwards

@Madsal do you want to have a look at the diamond I’m considering? It’s in this thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-05-g-si2-pls-help-me-evaluate-this-diamond
It looks fairly eye clean to me and is much more affordable than the in-store options from JP... plus you know, diamond with secret sauce haha.

I’m not an expert but if you want someone to eyeball a CBI diamond for you I can do it when I’m in the US...

I can’t take obvious inclusions but am not so sensitive about color though.

Madsal

Rough_Rock
@Miki Moto your e ring is absolutely breathtaking! I can see that your Tiffany ring is more brilliant compared to your HOF

And I have taken your path where I am now deciding to get an ideal instead of super ideal cut in order to get a diamond that tick all of the boxes

Thanks for your insight it has been helpful

6E127AF3-F116-4196-A9D2-7F7C94C2641B.jpeg B048419C-17F0-4F5E-826C-D193AF9E636C.jpeg

Hi... I have never done an ASET, HCA or whatever. I have never even seen my cute little H&As on my HOF as they were shipped to me. I know... shocking but I choose the HOF earrings (2ctw) because they were super ideal and did all the filtering for me so I would not have to. I am not nearly as picky or an expert as the PSers here who can visualize every angle, but that is just me. That’s why my earrings upgrades I am looking at CBI because they do all the filtering for me.

I compared my HOF to Tiffany with the primary goal to prove to myself Tiffany was over priced and I should stick with HOF for my e-ring. I was wrong, and the Tiffany (ideal only) to me sparkles far more than my HOF.

Here are photos so you can see. You may like the HOF super ideal more as I know it’s all personal preference.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I'm glad to hear you finally decided and I think it's a great choice! An 2.0ct ideal GIA XXX G VS will be amazing. I think ideals have a lot of fire and sparkle! When I compared my super ideal to an ideal, honestly, I felt my ideal diamond sparkled more, so I am really glad you were able to compare with your own eyes as diamonds cannot be judged just by paper and videos.

Your girlfriend will love everything about the ring, your mother-in-law will brag and can say "my son-in-law got her a 2.0 VIA XXX G VS diamond", and all the other mothers will envy her as she got such a wonderful son-in-law!

I do agree with you getting a SI stone in Asia is not going to be received well since it seems a SI clarity in Asia is like an I clarity in America which would not be viewed as a quality stone.

So happy for you! All a win-win! Congratulations to you! Please show us the new ring when you get it!

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@TreeScientist I did visit JP yesterday and it opened my eyes and now I am sure what I want to get for my gf.

I did see their super ideals and it's true that they only carry D-G and up to VS2 clarity. They don't stock SI diamonds and so it poses a risk that I don't want to take. Especially I guess in her family and our circle the statistic matters more and whilst they can appreciate branded ring like HW or Tiffany, no one knows or can appreciate a super ideal enough to justify the SI clarity. So they will definitely think a 2ct G VS diamond of a GIA triple X to be more superior than a 2 ct G SI of a super ideal diamond.

And in my case where I am proposing to her, I don't want her family to think negatively or look down on the diamond just because I am getting her an SI diamond in order to afford a super ideal

I absolutely think the super ideals are gorgeous but comes with a premium where my budget does not allow to get me a 2ct. The max is a 1.75ct G VS1 from their current stock. Probably can get a 1.8ct range for VS2 but they don't currently have it in stock and I still prefer a 2ct if possible

To be honest I can't differentiate much between the super ideal and the ideal. Their good ideal cut can sometimes be close to the super ideal but just missing off some alignment that would allow me to get discount for it yet it is hard for me to discern the difference. So I have decided that will get an ideal cut instead of a super ideal cut in order to get into the magic 2ct mark.

Thanks so much for your input!

I’m glad you have decided and it sounds like a great choice based on your situation. I mean, an ideal diamond is already far better than most diamonds in the stores here and yeah like what MM said, all the family and “face” stuff matters. Pls come back and let us know what you choose in the end?

Apart from JP are you visiting other stores like Canary? You may also like to visit the SIJE next month, and there’s a diamond wholesaler that I can provide the contact if you want.

As for me, I’m just slowly mulling this weekend.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results