shape
carat
color
clarity

Which 2ct diamond should I get?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem is both me and my fiance comes from an Asian background where color and even clarity matters. Her mother only buys D-G VVS diamonds and my fiance has a pair of F VVS earrings. So I am not sure if an H color would be white/ good enough.
Clarity I think as long as it is eye clean she wont mind
Are these graded by GIA or AGS? that will make a lot of difference.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's either 2ct E-F SI or 2ct G-H VS

If it were you, which one would you prefer more?
What would I do?
My sweet spot is G/H VS, and if any of my friends ask me about the specs I'll tell them it is a F VVS stone. The odds are that they can't tell difference, and yes, I'm Chinese.

erislynn

Shiny_Rock
I would stay with F color in a 2 ct. It will not only pass the mind clean test in the long run but also the “face” test. Keep in mind as well that if you go with a superideal, AGS colors can have more leeway than GIA for the same grade so better to be safe IMO. I’m Asian and the first thing that is noted between women in my culture after carat size is how white the diamond is. If there is a hint of color, older women and even close friends will mention it without it being considered rude.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I would stay with F color in a 2 ct. It will not only pass the mind clean test in the long run but also the “face” test. Keep in mind as well that if you go with a superideal, AGS colors can have more leeway than GIA for the same grade so better to be safe IMO. I’m Asian and the first thing that is noted between women in my culture after carat size is how white the diamond is. If there is a hint of color, older women and even close friends will mention it without it being considered rude.

It’s not even the women. I have a H diamond and rem a male colleague saying that it looks yellow. Not sure G and H can be passed off as F... at least not for the ones I’ve seen. Are super ideals different? Anyway I think in my part of the world almost everyone is a color sensitive.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What would I do?
My sweet spot is G/H VS, and if any of my friends ask me about the specs I'll tell them it is a F VVS stone. The odds are that they can't tell difference, and yes, I'm Chinese.

Personally I’m not comfortable to lie about the stuff I wear. Especially if it’s an engagement ring - it’ll leave a bad taste in my mouth and I’ll be upset to have to lie.

I even to tell people that my czs stuff are not diamonds (which they assume to be real since I’m known for wearing jewellery). Probably a personal thing but not sure how OP’s fiancé will feel about it.

Maybe a G and very eye clean SI1 can be passed off as F and VS. Or G and VS as F and VVS. But I highly doubt a H can pass especially since her circle are all into colorless diamonds...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I’m not comfortable to lie about the stuff I wear. Especially if it’s an engagement ring - it’ll leave a bad taste in my mouth and I’ll be upset to have to lie.

I even to tell people that my czs stuff are not diamonds (which they assume to be real since I’m known for wearing jewellery). Probably a personal thing but not sure how OP’s fiancé will feel about it.

Maybe a G and very eye clean SI1 can be passed off as F and VS. Or G and VS as F and VVS. But I highly doubt a H can pass especially since her circle are all into colorless diamonds...
I think top down an H will look white if it's well cut and clean (no gunk). My mom's H and I are show stoppers when she goes to Asia bc of the cut.

I wear Ks in mrb and EC. I lack the Asian herding ability and something in the way I look or carry myself seems to repel Asians. I've never had the problems of Asians getting up in my business, but I've heard rumors that my dad's sister will whip out a loupe in a sneak attack manner. Anyways, I'm not above kicking someone for grabbing at me and the raising my hand and exclaiming "widow's right!"

So... for OP's mind cleanness id recommend sticking to D-G. Let him dictate to the vendor what his eye clean expectations are so that they can check the diamonds to his specified parameter.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think top down an H will look white if it's well cut and clean (no gunk). My mom's H and I are show stoppers when she goes to Asia bc of the cut.

I wear Ks in mrb and EC. I lack the Asian herding ability and something in the way I look or carry myself seems to repel Asians. I've never had the problems of Asians getting up in my business, but I've heard rumors that my dad's sister will whip out a loupe in a sneak attack manner. Anyways, I'm not above kicking someone for grabbing at me and the raising my hand and exclaiming "widow's right!"

So... for OP's mind cleanness id recommend sticking to D-G. Let him dictate to the vendor what his eye clean expectations are so that they can check the diamonds to his specified parameter.
You always make me laugh! I love your perspective on life.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm Asian and so are quite a few PSers here. From my experience, Asians can generally VISUALLY accept H VS2, as long as the stone is big enough. :lol::lol::lol: It's usually a mental hurdle. I've also previously owned I and J AGS stones in 2ct+ sizes, and the Asians I know didn't noticed anything but the size. No offense to anyone!

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’ve actually heard comments on big diamonds as “it’s big but looks quite yellow...” but just not in front of the owner.

So no offense to anyone but maybe it’s not that lower colors weren’t noticed but just not mentioned directly out of politeness. The people who told me my H is yellow are all people I know fairly well so they gave like no holds barred type of comments. Or maybe you ladies all move in more polite circles than mine lol.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Seriously, why should anyone care what other people think about their diamonds, including family? I could care less what people say behind my back, or to my face, about my jewelry! Just buy what makes YOU happy!

Fayethful

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure on PS policies and if it's a conflict of interest as I own the stone, but I just wanted to direct you to a diamond at Love Affair Diamonds that is currently marked down for a quick sale as I am buying a new house and could certainly use the extra funds! It is an antique diamond, but it is a transitional cut so somewhere between an OEC and an MRB. Erica put an Asset up on her instagram account about 2 weeks ago, the performance is excellent! Just thought I would throw it into the ring as the specifications sound like exactly what you are looking for. And your future wife sounds like she might appreciate the rarity of a genuine antique diamond in those specifications, as needle in a haystack could not be more accurate!

Happy hunting, cheers!

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-92ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-e-vs1/

Madsal

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input!

I have a prospective diamond I'm currently interested in that fits all the requirement

1. option 1
a 2.25ct D SI1 (eye clean) with pictures and GIA report as follows

Screenshot 2018-06-28 00.12.43.png 4610909ID.jpg Screenshot 2018-06-28 00.13.15.png

It's not a super ideal (I think there's some light leakages under the table) and strong blue fluorescence however it fits my budget (under $25k)

What do you guys think about this stone? I also ask the seller whether the fluoro is impacting the stone negatively but it is with an overseas vendor so they can't check this unless I make a refundable purchase (which I'm a bit hesitant to do unless I'm sure the fluoroscence does not have any negative impact)

2. If option 1 doesnt seem like a good one or has some issue, option 2 is to get the largest super ideal stone within my budget.
I would prefer to purchase through a local store that carries super ideal brand (will visit in the weekend)
I think I can get ard 1.8ct F/G VS2 with my budget OR a 2ct G SI (may or may not be eye clean)

Pls advise

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not badly cut. Has a bit of obstruction around the arrows, but it exhibits good light return in the IS. HOWEVER:

Is this from James Allen (it looks like a James Allen photo)? If you're planning on purchasing this from James Allen, or any other modified drop-ship vendor in the U.S., then I personally would avoid the strong blue fluor in this situation because:

a.) Lower clarity diamonds, especially those with graining, have a higher chance of exhibiting haziness from the fluor. I think it's best to avoid SBF with lower clarity diamonds unless you are purchasing a stone from a SuperIdeal vendor, such as the Brian Gavin Blue line.

b.) You cannot see the diamond in person, and returning from overseas to James Allen would be a hassle. and finally

c.) I personally wouldn't trust one of the non SuperIdeal vendors to give me an adequate assessment of the impact of the fluor on the stone. Assessing fluor takes more than just glancing at it under normal lights and saying "yep, not hazy," which is what I'm guessing JA would do to "assess" it for you. You need to look at the stone under sunlight and compare directly to a stone without fluor to determine whether the stone is exhibiting haziness from the fluor.

If you were in the U.S. I would say sure, go for it. No harm in ordering it and seeing if you like it. But with you being in Singapore, I really think it's better for you to be purchasing a sure thing, especially if you were to purchase from an American vendor.

Madsal

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your insight!

Yes this is from James Allen. I just really liked the stone from the video. Very white color with slightly blue hue, acceptable angles and parameters, a huge stone just under my budget and totally eye clean. Totally understand your point though.

Let me go and check JP in the weekend then.

It's not badly cut. Has a bit of obstruction around the arrows, but it exhibits good light return in the IS. HOWEVER:

Is this from James Allen (it looks like a James Allen photo)? If you're planning on purchasing this from James Allen, or any other modified drop-ship vendor in the U.S., then I personally would avoid the strong blue fluor in this situation because:

a.) Lower clarity diamonds, especially those with graining, have a higher chance of exhibiting haziness from the fluor. I think it's best to avoid SBF with lower clarity diamonds unless you are purchasing a stone from a SuperIdeal vendor, such as the Brian Gavin Blue line.

b.) You cannot see the diamond in person, and returning from overseas to James Allen would be a hassle. and finally

c.) I personally wouldn't trust one of the non SuperIdeal vendors to give me an adequate assessment of the impact of the fluor on the stone. Assessing fluor takes more than just glancing at it under normal lights and saying "yep, not hazy," which is what I'm guessing JA would do to "assess" it for you. You need to look at the stone under sunlight and compare directly to a stone without fluor to determine whether the stone is exhibiting haziness from the fluor.

If you were in the U.S. I would say sure, go for it. No harm in ordering it and seeing if you like it. But with you being in Singapore, I really think it's better for you to be purchasing a sure thing, especially if you were to purchase from an American vendor.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! My opinion is you should not spend the added money to get a super ideal. May I suggest an ideal, 2ct, VS2 F/G?

Here is why...
You are already sensitive to what people think, especially her mom. I know... everyone will say who cares what she thinks, but I sense here it does matter (and also what yours and her friends think) so that needs to be factored into your decision because they are part of your social circle.

If you get a big stone that is SI or H, it will be viewed as yellow or a poor clarity stone and I worry you and your fiancé may be embarassed by that always.

Also, I want to share my experience on two things:
I own both an ideal cut diamond and also a super ideal. I purchased the super ideal first (they are earrings) and I thought they were the best. Then I was going to upgrade my e-ring and I thought for sure I would get another super ideal. No.... I looked at an ideal diamond that was way more sparkly than the super ideals. So please do not dismiss the ideal cuts.. they can be very vey sparkly.

On high color and low clarity diamonds, they are not in demand and that is why they are priced low. My earrings are E, SI1/SI2. When I bought them, I was less educated and the SA said save money on lower clarity but get a high color. So I did. I am in the market to upgrade my earrings and inquired about trading them in with two online vendors. The response I got from one was there is little demand for low clarity high color diamonds and he did not want them. The other offer I got was a low offer, again, due to the low clarity high color combo. So... you get what you pay for. I will never again purchase a SI stone because even before I got this input, I always felt I sacrificed clarity to save money but I regret that now.

On color, my e-ring is a H VS2. When I bought it, it looked so white to me. Now, I can see the faint yellow and wish I spent more time focusing on color. If I could do it again, I would have chosen a G VS2. If you can see the color now, for sure, it will bug you in the future when you look at that diamond. And if you feel self-conscious of what your future MIL or friends will say, for sure, one of them will think that it is just a big yellow stone.

I wanted to share my thoughts and hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

Madsal

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is certainly very helpful @Miki Moto

I never thought that high color and low clarity is not a good combo. I thought it was a smart move to afford a large colorless diamond at a fraction of the price.

About your regret of getting an SI, is it the inclusions that bother you or more of a mind clean thing that you feel you were settling for less?

I have crossed out getting an H and your feedback confirms it. I will consider an ideal cut and compare it with how a super ideal cut performs irl before deciding.

Hi! My opinion is you should not spend the added money to get a super ideal. May I suggest an ideal, 2ct, VS2 F/G?

Here is why...
You are already sensitive to what people think, especially her mom. I know... everyone will say who cares what she thinks, but I sense here it does matter (and also what yours and her friends think) so that needs to be factored into your decision because they are part of your social circle.

If you get a big stone that is SI or H, it will be viewed as yellow or a poor clarity stone and I worry you and your fiancé may be embarassed by that always.

Also, I want to share my experience on two things:
I own both an ideal cut diamond and also a super ideal. I purchased the super ideal first (they are earrings) and I thought they were the best. Then I was going to upgrade my e-ring and I thought for sure I would get another super ideal. No.... I looked at an ideal diamond that was way more sparkly than the super ideals. So please do not dismiss the ideal cuts.. they can be very vey sparkly.

On high color and low clarity diamonds, they are not in demand and that is why they are priced low. My earrings are E, SI1/SI2. When I bought them, I was less educated and the SA said save money on lower clarity but get a high color. So I did. I am in the market to upgrade my earrings and inquired about trading them in with two online vendors. The response I got from one was there is little demand for low clarity high color diamonds and he did not want them. The other offer I got was a low offer, again, due to the low clarity high color combo. So... you get what you pay for. I will never again purchase a SI stone because even before I got this input, I always felt I sacrificed clarity to save money but I regret that now.

On color, my e-ring is a H VS2. When I bought it, it looked so white to me. Now, I can see the faint yellow and wish I spent more time focusing on color. If I could do it again, I would have chosen a G VS2. If you can see the color now, for sure, it will bug you in the future when you look at that diamond. And if you feel self-conscious of what your future MIL or friends will say, for sure, one of them will think that it is just a big yellow stone.

I wanted to share my thoughts and hope this was helpful.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! My SI stones are eye clean, but it is not mind clean. I thought that by being "super ideals" they would offset the low clarity, but it has always bothered me they are "SI" stones. And these are earrings, for me... I would not consider a SI stone for a ring, but that is just me and it's a mental thing for me as I think rings should be higher clarity than a SI stone.

Yes... I was surprised by the high color low clarity as well. But in reality, you get what you pay for and that is why they are priced cheaper.

Yes.. I would definitely recommend you looking at ideal cut GIA XXX. My e-ring is not even a XXX, it is XXVG and that ring sparkles like crazy. I have gotten comments like "wow, that diamond is so sparkly" and the best comment I ever received is one time dining at a dark restaurant with a group of people, a lady sitting diagonal from me said "excuse me, but your diamond is so sparkly, it's distracting". That made my day! =)2 And that diamond is NOT a super ideal, only an ideal... so please do not dismiss them especially given your other priorities for size, clarity, and color.

UPDATE: And for what it's worth... when people comment or ask about my e-ring... it is always "how many carats", "what clarity/color". I live in the U.S. and those questions would be perceived as a bit rude (coming from a stranger, not a PSer of course). I have never once gotten asked "is it a super ideal". I do like the idea of super ideals for sure, and for my earring upgrade, I will get a super ideal, more because it's "mind cool". But as I said earlier, my ideal (not super ideal) e-ring is super sparkly, more than my super ideals, so super ideals are not the end all.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I may add one more comment here...

I do not know your financial situation nor am I suggesting you go in debt over a diamond (not a wise thing to do), but perhaps it might be possible to increase your budget a bit more to get what you truly want and are proud to have.

I have purchased pricey jewelry pieces in the past, and I was about to pass on them or settle for something less. My husband, who often tells me “get the bigger one because in 5 or 10 years, that additional amount is nothing yet you would have enjoyed that piece of jewelry for so many years”. I listened to that advice several times and “got the bigger one”. And you know what... I am so glad I did. The money was well spent, and years later, I still love it and the extra cost is long forgotten.

Every now and then when I admire my pieces, my husband says “see... aren’t you glad you got it?”

I want to share that with you as something to think about, looking at this purchase from the whole scope of life.

Good luck! I wish to and your fiancé much happiness!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for your insight!

Yes this is from James Allen. I just really liked the stone from the video. Very white color with slightly blue hue, acceptable angles and parameters, a huge stone just under my budget and totally eye clean. Totally understand your point though.

Let me go and check JP in the weekend then.

I think it's an excellent idea to visit JP. I would suggest you look at both their SuperIdeal line, as well as a few diamonds that are "near SuperIdeal." JP also carries GIA-graded well cut diamonds that are not quite perfect enough to be classified as SuperIdeal, but will still be beautiful. Sort of like the Premium Select and Expert Selection lines from WhiteFlash.

As @Miki Moto mentioned, whether or not getting a SuperIdeal is worth it is a highly personal decision. As I said earlier in this thread, I have no doubt that most people could tell the difference between a SuperIdeal and a borderline GIA excellent "Steep-deep" diamond if they were properly educated on cut and were given enough time to look at them.

But whether the average person could tell the difference between a SuperIdeal and a very well cut non-branded stone that is a "near-miss" for being classified as a SuperIdeal (like having one of the hearts slightly out of alignment)? Well, I am doubtful.

In your situation and with your budget, I think getting a well-cut "normal" stone would be the best option if you really wanted to hit 2 carats and at the same time stick to F/VS or above.

By going to JP and seeing diamonds in person, you'll be able to get a good idea of whether or not a SuperIdeal would be worth it for you, and you would also be able to see stones with lower clarities and/or fluorescence to determine whether the particular diamond has any "red flags," like highly visible inclusions or haziness caused by the fluor.

Keep us updated after your JP visit. :) If you decide to go the non-SuperIdeal route and would be open to purchasing from the U.S., then I think taking @PintoBean's suggestion of contacting ID Jewelry would be an excellent idea. They are masters at finding diamonds that fit people's budgets, and they are one of the few non-SuperIdeal vendors that I would trust to properly vet diamonds for you to make sure you're getting what you want prior to shipment to Singapore. At the very least, it would be worth talking to them to see if they could save you a significant amount of money over purchasing from JP. If the savings was just a few hundred dollars, then I would probably stick with JP for the peace of mind from buying in country. But if it was a few thousand dollars... well, I would have to think twice about it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
UPDATE: And for what it's worth... when people comment or ask about my e-ring... it is always "how many carats", "what clarity/color". I live in the U.S. and those questions would be perceived as a bit rude (coming from a stranger, not a PSer of course). I have never once gotten asked "is it a super ideal". I do like the idea of super ideals for sure, and for my earring upgrade, I will get a super ideal, more because it's "mind cool". But as I said earlier, my ideal (not super ideal) e-ring is super sparkly, more than my super ideals, so super ideals are not the end all.

@Miki Moto this is kind of disturbing to read as I want a super ideal because I thought super ideals are the most sparkly diamonds you can find... do you mind sharing where you got your super ideal from and do you have any aset images that you can share?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Miki Moto this is kind of disturbing to read as I want a super ideal because I thought super ideals are the most sparkly diamonds you can find... do you mind sharing where you got your super ideal from and do you have any aset images that you can share?

I believe @Miki Moto's E-ring is a Tiffany and her SuperIdeal is a HeartsOnFire. And based on her previous pictures of it, I agree that her E-ring is a very beautiful diamond. :)

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I believe @Miki Moto's E-ring is a Tiffany and her SuperIdeal is a HeartsOnFire. And based on her previous pictures of it, I agree that her E-ring is a very beautiful diamond. :)

You have such a good memory! I am amazed at how you can link all this info in your head!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Miki Moto hope you don’t mind that I just created a new thread and quoted you as I’m seriously disturbed by what you’d shared. Don’t get me wrong as I truly appreciate your honest sharing and good advice here but I’m about to go the same route with a SI2 diamond (which is shocking in my part of the world) :lol-2: and I’m really disturbed with the trade in part. If you mind pls go ahead and report my new thread k.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
6E127AF3-F116-4196-A9D2-7F7C94C2641B.jpeg B048419C-17F0-4F5E-826C-D193AF9E636C.jpeg

Hi... I have never done an ASET, HCA or whatever. I have never even seen my cute little H&As on my HOF as they were shipped to me. I know... shocking but I choose the HOF earrings (2ctw) because they were super ideal and did all the filtering for me so I would not have to. I am not nearly as picky or an expert as the PSers here who can visualize every angle, but that is just me. That’s why my earrings upgrades I am looking at CBI because they do all the filtering for me.

I compared my HOF to Tiffany with the primary goal to prove to myself Tiffany was over priced and I should stick with HOF for my e-ring. I was wrong, and the Tiffany (ideal only) to me sparkles far more than my HOF.

Here are photos so you can see. You may like the HOF super ideal more as I know it’s all personal preference.

I hope this helps.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There are two aspects to “superideals” that are related and influence each together, but that are often wholly conflated and oughtn’t be:

1. Precision-cutting.
Cutting the stone such that optical symmetry is exceptionally matched to the desired pattern. This has the effect of maximizing virtual facet size within a given faceting design, which increases eye-resolvable output and ups your odds of seeing colour (pupil catching one wavelength of one output dispersion event).

A stone could theoretically be “precision cut” into any bizarre, asymmetric-around-the-stone pattern. Of course no vendor would do this given the extra expense and potential for damage to brand recognition! Desired RB pattern is radially symmetric, which means a precision-cut stone should show exceptional optical symmetry - the pattern of light areas and dark areas will look the same all around the stone.

2. Proportions.
A set of narrow proportions parameters that most boutique superideal vendors target to ensure all stones in specific lines achieve certain “characteristics” aesthetics.

Most superideal RB vendors on PS target similar proportions as the look and feel that results tends to be a generic crowd-pleaser, and there’s more leeway for shift (call it “margin of error” during cutting if you want) without compromising that look and feel than with other proportions combinations.

To enjoy a superideal diamond one must
A) Like the look of a very symmetric pattern of light and dark around the stone. Most people do, but “most” isn’t “all”.
B) Prefer larger, bolder “rolling” flashes of light and more colour play to twinkle and more unpredictable spark and sizzle within a given stone size range (and let’s keep this discussion to 1ct+, as there are other considerations with smaller stones). Again, most people do, but “most” isn’t “all”. This is size-dependent - larger facets mean larger virtual facets, so a 1ct superideal is going to look different from a 5ct superideal with identical proportions, and will play with light differently.
C) Want the look and feel that results from the proportions that your chosen boutique vendor targets, if applicable. HoF stones tend to be quite varied; CBI is known for maintaining a very specific character across all their stones.

For me, (1) and (2) are very important, but my personal preference for diamond flavour favours a rather extreme high crown/short LGF combo that’s outside PS vendors’ superideal requirements, so I ultimately chose a non precision-cut stone... but I would have jumped at a precision-cut specimen with my preferred proportions. Maybe one day!

Perhaps @Miki Moto can comment more on what she prefers about her Tiffany? I should repeat here that the HoF brand includes a wide range of RB flavours, so that is an additional variable to consider.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@yssie Hi! To me, the Tiffany looks far more brighter than my HOF. And the HOF has far more "black and white" contrast and is darker which I do not like. I prefer bright, white, sparkly stones. It's hard to capture in photos, in the first photo, the larger stone is more brighter and sparkly. In real life, it is more obvious. The contrast is what I do not like so perhaps my HOF stones are not the right angles for me, but I did think they were perfect until I saw the Tiffany stone which I had only gone to Tiffany to prove to myself they were not worth it and not as good as super ideal HOF. That's how I ended up with the Tiffany... but the plan all along was to get another HOF as my e-ring.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Madsal do you want to have a look at the diamond I’m considering? It’s in this thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-05-g-si2-pls-help-me-evaluate-this-diamond
It looks fairly eye clean to me and is much more affordable than the in-store options from JP... plus you know, diamond with secret sauce haha.

I’m not an expert but if you want someone to eyeball a CBI diamond for you I can do it when I’m in the US...

I can’t take obvious inclusions but am not so sensitive about color though.

Madsal

Rough_Rock
@TreeScientist I did visit JP yesterday and it opened my eyes and now I am sure what I want to get for my gf.

I did see their super ideals and it's true that they only carry D-G and up to VS2 clarity. They don't stock SI diamonds and so it poses a risk that I don't want to take. Especially I guess in her family and our circle the statistic matters more and whilst they can appreciate branded ring like HW or Tiffany, no one knows or can appreciate a super ideal enough to justify the SI clarity. So they will definitely think a 2ct G VS diamond of a GIA triple X to be more superior than a 2 ct G SI of a super ideal diamond.

And in my case where I am proposing to her, I don't want her family to think negatively or look down on the diamond just because I am getting her an SI diamond in order to afford a super ideal

I absolutely think the super ideals are gorgeous but comes with a premium where my budget does not allow to get me a 2ct. The max is a 1.75ct G VS1 from their current stock. Probably can get a 1.8ct range for VS2 but they don't currently have it in stock and I still prefer a 2ct if possible

To be honest I can't differentiate much between the super ideal and the ideal. Their good ideal cut can sometimes be close to the super ideal but just missing off some alignment that would allow me to get discount for it yet it is hard for me to discern the difference. So I have decided that will get an ideal cut instead of a super ideal cut in order to get into the magic 2ct mark.

Thanks so much for your input!

I think it's an excellent idea to visit JP. I would suggest you look at both their SuperIdeal line, as well as a few diamonds that are "near SuperIdeal." JP also carries GIA-graded well cut diamonds that are not quite perfect enough to be classified as SuperIdeal, but will still be beautiful. Sort of like the Premium Select and Expert Selection lines from WhiteFlash.

As @Miki Moto mentioned, whether or not getting a SuperIdeal is worth it is a highly personal decision. As I said earlier in this thread, I have no doubt that most people could tell the difference between a SuperIdeal and a borderline GIA excellent "Steep-deep" diamond if they were properly educated on cut and were given enough time to look at them.

But whether the average person could tell the difference between a SuperIdeal and a very well cut non-branded stone that is a "near-miss" for being classified as a SuperIdeal (like having one of the hearts slightly out of alignment)? Well, I am doubtful.

In your situation and with your budget, I think getting a well-cut "normal" stone would be the best option if you really wanted to hit 2 carats and at the same time stick to F/VS or above.

By going to JP and seeing diamonds in person, you'll be able to get a good idea of whether or not a SuperIdeal would be worth it for you, and you would also be able to see stones with lower clarities and/or fluorescence to determine whether the particular diamond has any "red flags," like highly visible inclusions or haziness caused by the fluor.

Keep us updated after your JP visit. :) If you decide to go the non-SuperIdeal route and would be open to purchasing from the U.S., then I think taking @PintoBean's suggestion of contacting ID Jewelry would be an excellent idea. They are masters at finding diamonds that fit people's budgets, and they are one of the few non-SuperIdeal vendors that I would trust to properly vet diamonds for you to make sure you're getting what you want prior to shipment to Singapore. At the very least, it would be worth talking to them to see if they could save you a significant amount of money over purchasing from JP. If the savings was just a few hundred dollars, then I would probably stick with JP for the peace of mind from buying in country. But if it was a few thousand dollars... well, I would have to think twice about it.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results