shape
carat
color
clarity

Where To Order Bespoke Platinum Setting For Engagement Ring. See Pictures.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Dear all,
I'm looking to get my engagement ring made.
I'll like a platinum milgrain, grain setting, double row diamond melle v shape knife edge band thinning/narrowing to the shank lifting to a petite cathedral setting with diamonds up the shank and illusion halo.
I contacted Mona and Providence but they only use moissanites. I'm getting my centre stone from August Vintage.
I live in London so my options are Hatton Garden or Jewelry Quarter in Birmingham. I could find smaller jewelry makers to work with there but the China prices seem too good to pass. Your suggestions please?
I've attached a compilation of photos with bits I like.
Cathedral Micro Pave Shane and Co.jpg knife-edge-pave.jpg 2 or double row_knife_edge bead set band.jpg Illusion halo 1 Tacori.jpg

Attachments

• Barin michael pave cathedral halo.jpg
    Barin michael pave cathedral halo.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 18
  • barinhalo cathedral micro pave halo knife edge.jpg
    barinhalo cathedral micro pave halo knife edge.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Basic design.jpg
    Basic design.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 15

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you let Jon handle it for you?

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you let Jon handle it for you?
His videos and posts are about gems and I feel his price will be at best comparative to small independent benches I'll approach on Etsy, in London or Birmingham. If I was to use a jewelry maker abroad/online it appears China or India offer better value.

I'll ask him and see. Apart fron AV is there anyone else you'll recommend for making the mount and band?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It really depends on what you consider a better value. A cheap Chinese setting would never be quality, look the same and you could encounter many problems in the future such as the setting breaking, losing stones, etc. Then your setting really isn’t a better value is it? Not to mention a less than stellar professional could damage your center stone. Best option is to have the seller of your center make the setting. That is the most convenient, safest and a great stone really deserved a setting matching in quality.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a whole thread on London vendors / stores somewhere on here - seek it out and get in touch with a few, perhaps.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think vatche makes a setting a lot like this. No need for bespoke.

vatche-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-281-1-l.png

vatche-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-281-2-l.png

xlarge.jpg

159189.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a whole thread on London vendors / stores somewhere on here - seek it out and get in touch with a few, perhaps.

Someone recently set a large J color Crafted By Infinity diamond in a setting by a jeweler in London that she really loved. It was gorgeous, maybe she will see this and post their name here. Or search CBI thread, recent posts.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I've been trawling all the threads but yet to find it.
I'll take a trip to Hatton Garden and Birmingham Jewelry Quarter in a couple of weeks.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I have my preowned set for sale on ebay that has similar traits to what you are looking for. It is 18kt white gold, double row diamond melle v shape knife edge band thinning/narrowing to the shank lifting to a petite cathedral setting with diamonds up the shank without a halo. I had a 1.18 oval diamond in mine but the head can be changed if desired to fit any shape. The price is for the semi mount engagement ring and the matching wedding ring. My good friend loves it so much she is trying to see if she can get her smaller stone to work in it and is taking it to the jeweler this week. Good luck on your search.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131554182417
These rings are really beautiful and really close to what I want. I'll like mine to taper as it approaches the shank, to have diamonds across at the foundation of the cathedral and a tiny halo.
Who ever buys yours has snapped a bargain!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Someone recently set a large J color Crafted By Infinity diamond in a setting by a jeweler in London that she really loved. It was gorgeous, maybe she will see this and post their name here. Or search CBI thread, recent posts.
I hope so! Thank you! What's CBI thread?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some decent Chinese and Indian sellers but they do use lower quality diamonds for melee and their metal weight is always low. And if you aren’t happy with the result it is a huge drama and delay getting it fixed. I’ve used a few Chinese vendors for “cheaper” settings so my observation is from my own experiences.
For an engagement ring, a long term everyday wearing ring, I wouldn’t try and save a few hundred dollars. The setting style you like is apt to “pop” diamonds out so you don’t want to start with a less than robust ring.
And don’t forget to include any taxes or custom duties you might be liable for if you’re buying from overseas.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
There are some decent Chinese and Indian sellers but they do use lower quality diamonds for melee and their metal weight is always low. And if you aren’t happy with the result it is a huge drama and delay getting it fixed. I’ve used a few Chinese vendors for “cheaper” settings so my observation is from my own experiences.
For an engagement ring, a long term everyday wearing ring, I wouldn’t try and save a few hundred dollars. The setting style you like is apt to “pop” diamonds out so you don’t want to start with a less than robust ring.
And don’t forget to include any taxes or custom duties you might be liable for if you’re buying from overseas.
Thank you. The price of the China sellers make it seem much more worthwhile even if I have to take it to a local jeweller to repair or tidy up. If I use a US seller I'll still have the problem of distance (taxes, customs etc) if I needed corrections. It will cost a lot to send it back and cost quite a bit to fix locally but if it had been done by a China seller the cost would've been very low to start with so I won't mind much.
At this point I feel I want AV to cut my oval so if I'm splashing on the oval I need to keep my eye on the cost of the rings and try to get a good balance of workmanship and value.
As you say, it will be my everyday ring so I want it to be durable.

I actually like the Lotus head of this one;

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...e-edge-lotus-basket-engagement-ring-item-9307 I wish I liked the head on this cos the ring ticks most of my boxes. A tiny illusion halo and tapering to the shank would top it off!

And for bands;

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/185895234/platinum-knife-edge-pave-set-band?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pave+knife+edge+setting&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=ce0a5b32bfd6c8e68ebac8691f3f2ee33334e590:185895234&frs=1 Oh my! I contacted this seller and he gave me quote I can work with; much cheaper than DK. I contacted him cos his band is exactly what I want and my engagement ring should be should e straight forward for him to do. I need to research and see if I can find recommendations for him. He's got a really good Etsy rating so I'm feeling confident. :D Have you used him? Do you know of him? Masterjeweler Gagik

I wish I liked the head on the JA one cos the ring ticks most of my boxes. A tiny illusion halo and tapering to the shank would top it off!

Oh my! I contacted this seller and he gave me quote I can work with; much cheaper than DK. I contacted him cos his band is exactly what I want and my engagement ring should be should e straight forward for him to do. I need to research and see if I can find recommendations for him. He's got a really good Etsy rating so I'm feeling confident. :D Have you used him? Do you know of him? Masterjeweler Gagik

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE :D Have you used him? Do you know of him? Masterjeweler Gagik[/QUOTE]
I have bought two items from him many years ago when he first started with etsy, once had really nice diamonds, the other was not quite so nice, but his CADs were just want you have on the teal background. I haven't used him since, because I prefer a more detailed CAD. I had a good experience with him, glad you had the same.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
I have bought two items from him many years ago when he first started with etsy, once had really nice diamonds, the other was not quite so nice, but his CADs were just want you have on the teal background. I haven't used him since, because I prefer a more detailed CAD. I had a good experience with him, glad you had the same.

I haven't placed my order yet. Did you ask him what grade of diamonds he was going to use for the second one that you weren't happy with? Oh my! It's our whole wedding set 3 rings.
Like you I would like a cad with dimensions etc for my engagement ring. I've asked him and wait for his response.

Last edited:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Strawberries1. I think he specify VS qualities, but some were not, its been at least over 7 years and he only had a couple of reviews when I went to him so maybe he has changed some things around.. if you are looking for quality and also another quote, I would also recommend QCustomJewelry on etsy, I've purchased several items from him, and his prices and diamonds are very reasonable, and Quincy does detail CADs, Diamond quality is definitely VS when specified and very well cut. His wife labors through all the quality melees.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/QCustomJewelry

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is almost exactly what I want. I'll like this to have a small illusion halo and a bit more tapering. I might just settle for this. :|
Hi Vatche does a little more custom work too, you could just ask if they are willing to modify, I know several Designers, like Simon G, Allison Kaufman will modify slightly.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hesitate to have a custom setting made for an oval that the jeweler did not have in their possession. Pave is easy to sell, but quite hard to actually do well. There is so much bad work out there. I bring my ultrasonic cleaner to work periodically and will let folks use it, provided I inspect their settings first. Nearly every pave setting I've seen are not well done and have missing stones within 1 year of wear. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a setting with pave, but getting one from someone that has no trackrecord for pave work. If it was me and budget was an issue, I'd actually have it set in a beautiful solitaire and save my pennies (ahem...shillings) to upgrade the setting. You might be surprised how lovely it is to have just a gorgeous oval in a classic setting.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/designs-by-jonathan/products/the-av-classic

I'd really recommend you have an honest conversation with Jonathan and see what he can do for you.

Last edited:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hesitate to have a custom setting made for an oval that the jeweler did not have in their possession. Pave is easy to sell, but quite hard to actually do well. There is so much bad work out there. I bring my ultrasonic cleaner to work periodically and will let folks use it, provided I inspect their settings first. Nearly every pave setting I've seen are not well done and have missing stones within 1 year of wear. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a setting with pave, but getting one from someone that has no trackrecord for pave work. If it was me and budget was an issue, I'd actually have it set in a beautiful solitaire and save my pennies (ahem...shillings) to upgrade the setting. You might be surprised how lovely it is to have just a gorgeous oval in a classic setting.
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/designs-by-jonathan/products/the-av-classic
I'd really recommend you have an honest conversation with Jonathan and see what he can do for you.

I love the idea of a solitaire.

One thing to note, while I like jonathan and his diamonds, and maybe his solitaire that are prong, I went custom with his bench, and it did not turn out well, so not to dissuage you from going with the same vendor where you got the diamond from but I would probably just have him order a Stuller or something from elsewhere that is not fully custom so its less expensive and proven so you have a nice diamond to where while you save up, but do save up for the pave work you want to get in the future.... lik @rockysalamander said not all pave settings are made well.. I have a simon g band second hand and I absolutely love their workmanship (in case you are looking at another designer)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a firm believer in doing things right, the first time around. Especially, when it comes to jewelry....QUALITY jewelry.
You have received a ton of great advice, here. The BEST advice is go with a quality, simple setting within your current budget, and save for a setting upgrade in the future.

Get a quote, now. Save your money, and expect to pay slightly more, in a few years, as prices fluctuate over time. You’ll have a quality setting that meets your criteria, and something to look forward to.

Quality jewelry is addictive. You’ll want MORE, after the wedding. You’ll dream about it, and you’ll spend endless hours here, on PS lurking & drooling over new posts & styles, if you haven’t, already.

Who knows? Perhaps your taste will change, and you’ll decide to take a different direction with your setting? One never knows.

My point: there’s no need to press the issue, risk putting all your money into a setting you may not “get out of what you put into”, and have remorse.

Pave’ likes to fall out. Often. You need a phenomenal craftsman to set your pave’ & create a setting that can handle daily wear & tear.

What you are looking at can be made by anyone, but should only be trusted in few.

A quality craftsman is worth the extra pounds/dollars it will cost to create a sturdy, durable piece that stands the test of time.

Victor Canera (US based) immediately came to mind, when I saw your inspiration photos. You’ll pay for his work, but you’ll appreciate the value.
If you doubt me, ask @carbonfan. Better yet, check out her inventory. ;)2

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. Yes, I know Jonto be great with gems not a a goldsmith etc which is why I didn't enquire about the rings from him at first.
I'll take a trip down to Hatton Garden in a couple of weeks.
It pave tends to fall out probably best to go local.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results