shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to go for OEC restoration?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thinking ahead a little: I know when I get my OEC, I'll want to at the very least have the bruted girdle faceted. While I'm still going back and forth on whether the original setting will be the "forever" setting, I also want to, at the very least, have it reshanked, polished, and possibly milgrained.

So the question is ... where?

The two obvious choices, as I think of them, are Brian Gavin Diamonds and Single Stone. The plus for BGD is that I could also get a proper cut analysis, and possibly find out if there was anything cool that could be done to further improve light performance, like Gypsy did with her pendant stone: the minus is, well - don't shoot me! - I haven't liked what I've seen of their milgrain, and I don't know if I've heard of their doing any restoration work. With Single Stone, the plus is that they do awesome restoration work and can undoubtedly do a cool recut like they did for Kelpie, but there's none of the tech stuff.

And I have no idea what either of them charges, either ....

So, fellow PS'rs: what would you do? BGD, Single Stone, or some as-yet-unnamed cutter? (and possibly even in NYC? is DiaGem in NYC? does he accept private commisions?) Looking forward to y'all's advice ....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this case I would go to SS no question. They have expertise - acknowledged and long-proven - with antique stones specifically, BGD does not, and for the sort of thing you're talking about I would want precisely that expertise.

I honestly think old cut analysis w/ modern methods and metrics is pretty useless anyway - I have no doubt that an expert like Ari can judge good vs. bad vs. best without the techie tools, and can look at a given specimen and see its potential without scans and diamcalc runs (though I'm sure Brian can too, so the toys are just for the customer :cheeky:)

I chatted with him briefly about a potential OEC recut - I found him very helpful and accommodating, and his pricing is very reasonable. I'd recommend at least calling in :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Yssie. Are you sure Ari would not do a Sarin scan of the stone? I would think something like that at least is needed for the recut? But I have no idea.

The other stuff, well you can buy your own ideal scope and ASET if you want!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Dude, I totally agree on BGD's millgrain. I have the bezel millgrain bracelet with my brown AVC in it, and there is absolutely NO comparison between that and, say, Victor's millgrain or Greenlake Jewelry's. BGD's is almost twice as large. Not a fan, unfortunately. I'm ridiculously picky about engraving and millgrain though, and unfortunately it seems like plenty of awesome benches are not great at those things.

So. Yes, ditto to SS, for sure. I'd trust that Ari would know how to take care of the recutting and still preserve what we all love about old cuts, and absolutely would be the best choice for the setting's work.

Can I *squee* again with glee that you've got such a gorgeous rock on the way? Squeeee! :appl: I'm so thrilled for you and totally can't wait to see more pics! :naughty: :bigsmile:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Ari told me he restores about 8 antique diamonds a week, so no question I would go to the place that specializes in it. Honestly, I contacted BGD first but by the time they contacted me back Single Stone already had my stone and was working on it. They know how to coax the best performance from a stone, no doubt about that. Old cuts are more about art than techy stuff. If you like a perfect cut, go with an AVR.

ETA- I think the price is the same at BGD and SS at $350/ct
I know if it's strictly repolishing singlestone only charges $150/ct. These were prices quoted me in April 2010.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have no experience with BGD, but I can tell you that Ari is an expert at what he does and their work is exqusite! The other thing I really value about Ari is his honesty. If I have an idea and he thinks it's a waste of money (even though that money would be going in his pocket), he tells me so and makes another suggestion. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like it's unanimous! Thanks, guys - your collective rationale is tremendously convincing. Once I get the ring, off to Ari it will go: I'll call him tomorrow to get the details and figure out the exact course of action!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Jumping in too - I would go with SS. I really like what they have done with restoring old stones. Even if they can't do all the science stuff - I can get the details later.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results