shape
carat
color
clarity

where to get this appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
As posted previously, I received a vintage watch for Valentine''s Day. I need to have it appraised for insurance, but I''m confused. It''s a vintage watch, but it''s also a piece of jewelry. It''s platinum with diamonds. Do I take it to a jewelry appraiser or a watch appraiser? Will a watch appraiser consider the value of the piece as a whole or just as a watch? Will he really know how to tell what color/clarity the stones are? Similarly, if I take it to a jewelry appraiser, will they take into consideration the value of the watch or just appraise it as a piece of jewelry?

I''m not sure where to start. I want to ensure I get the most accurate appraisal as possible.

Thanks!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I don''t know that I''d bother. eBay is chock full of platinum and diamond Hamiltons and other 40''s/50''s watches. They typically go somewhere around $600-$900 for the type you have. More when there are substantially more diamonds and a diamond band.

I suspect your sentimental value is what really counts, and sadly there''s no price for that if the watch is lost
7.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:53:10 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Honestly I don''t know that I''d bother. eBay is chock full of platinum and diamond Hamiltons and other 40''s/50''s watches. They typically go somewhere around $600-$900 for the type you have. More when there are substantially more diamonds and a diamond band.

I suspect your sentimental value is what really counts, and sadly there''s no price for that if the watch is lost
7.gif

True, there''s no price for sentimental value, however I don''t always have $600-$900 to drop on a replacement watch, and I want an accurate appraisal for insurance purposes. Not to mention, my watch isn''t from the 40''s-50''s, it''s from the 20''s (or so was the sellers claim). While I don''t care ALL that much what time period it came from, it would be nice to know if we have what we think we do.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results