shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy?

cjbills

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!

I am an absolute novice in this game, but I have been doing my fair share of lurking around over the past few weeks. I'm planning to propose this summer and was hoping to do so while traveling Europe.

Now on to my question... I am an American, residing in Malaysia, that will be moving back to the States after this summer's travels - apologies about the complicated situation. I am really impressed with the James Allen system and had planned to purchase from them, however, they do not ship to Malaysia - and I am not sure I would really trust customs here even if they did.

Now, taxes and VAT could also heavily influence my purchase capabilities as well.

I am planning to spend ~$10,000 for a princess cut solitaire set up - at the end of the day, I want to get the best performing diamond I can for that amount of money. From a tax/value perspective, would you guys suggest I wait until I am in the States to order from James Allen and just propose there? Hop over to Antwerp while on my trip and try that out? Order from James Allen to a European country at one of the hotels I am staying at?

I really appreciate any advice in advance!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless you are in a real rush to propose it would surely make more sense to wait until you get back to the US? Just make sure you factor in enough time to set the stone you choose, if that's what you plan.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend that you wait until you return to the US.

1. I simply cannot comprehend how this will work. If you decide to ship the ring to an European country, you pay any applicable duty and local sales tax, which I believe is significantly higher than in the US. Upon entering US, you still may have to declare the ring with proper paper work. You may or may not be required to pay additional tax/duty. Not worth it.

2. When you receive your ring in Europe from JA and don't like it, how are you going to return it? It will be 100% on you and not cheap, and the process can take awhile

3. If you decide to buy the ring in Belgium, it may not come with great upgrade policy that US vendors offer. Even if it comes with upgrade policy, how are you going to do it when you are in the US later in your life?

4. It is the best to propose within the return period. Your lady may not like what you got her. Or re-sizing may be needed. etc.. Bad things do happen. I have seen so many thread people asking what to do after the return period; most were just stuck.

But, you do want to start researching and some reading now.

cjbills

Rough_Rock
Ok, thanks very much for the advice! The purpose for proposing prior to entering the US are mainly because she is Japanese and I want to have her enter the country on the K1 fiancee visa. I may just have to take a flight back to the states and pick up the ring in person

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could propose with no ring or a small band. Then once in US, surprise her with the real ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865|1458216821|4006656 said:
You could propose with no ring or a small band. Then once in US, surprise her with the real ring.

+1

I'd recommend an ideal cut princess cut diamond from WhiteFlash, Good Old Gold, or High Performance diamonds, though. I assume she has expressed a preference for princess cut?

cjbills

Rough_Rock
That's a great idea! Would you also suggest purchasing a diamond type ring for this, just a much less expensive one?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a plain gold (white or yellow) band or inexpensive (relatively) diamond half eternity band for the proposal. Then once you're here long term, get the folks here to help you pick a knockout stone for the real engagement ring. These things take some time and if you are customizing anything, will take even longer.

However, there is no law that says that you must propose with a ring, so you wouldn't even have to. I would want a ring, but I was raised here in the US where that expectation is drilled into us from birth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results