shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy Tahitian dangle earrings?

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I have been a lurker for 10 years but have never posted before because I have never had a budget for jewelry. My budget is still low, but I want to start actually building a collection of simple but high quality jewelry pieces.

Right now, I am specifically looking for a pair of ~8-9mm pearls on ~2.5" WG chains. I was thinking of Tahitians but am open to other options (natural blue Akoyas?). I have never seen nice pearls in person so it's hard for me to know about overtones/types, but I generally like blues/teals and am blonde/fair/blue-eyed/neutral-to-cool. My budget is around $400 for the earrings, and I would like them to be special/unique but not too crazy (my jewelry is generally dainty and I'm a casual person). American Pearl has a Tahitian pair, but none of the other vendors that I often see on here (PP, PearlsofJoy, etc.) seem to. Should I just get these from AP, or are there other vendors I should consider? I also saw these fittings and these finished earrings and several natural blue Akoya pairs from ReensPearl on Etsy, but can't find many reviews on the seller.

Thank you for any advice!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Your etsy links aren't working for me. What's your budget? Kojima Pearl has a fabulous selection of Tahitians and likely several that meet your criteria (although KP can be expensive). American Pearl doesn't have the best reputation; at least that was my impression when I was an active Pearl Guide user under another username. Pearl Paradise also has lovely pearls but doesn't list the full extent of their collection, you could send them an email and see the pricing for them to make something to your specifications. And lastly, although I've never bought from this seller, OceanRhyme on Esty seems to have a nice selection of budget freshwater, Tahitians and other cool pearls for really strong prices (and sometimes I find designs similar to that of Kojima Pearl for 1/4 the price! Although I'm sure it's just a coincidence).

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Your etsy links aren't working for me. What's your budget?

I wonder why the links don't work! The Etsy seller I found is ReensPearl, and I was looking at both the baroque and the semi-round natural blue Akoyas with an 18K white gold chain. My budget is $400 or so, but I definitely don't have to spend all of it on one pair of earrings. I like the look of some of the OceanRhyme pieces, so I'll definitely send them a message. Thanks!

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I wonder why the links don't work! The Etsy seller I found is ReensPearl, and I was looking at both the baroque and the semi-round natural blue Akoyas with an 18K white gold chain. My budget is $400 or so, but I definitely don't have to spend all of it on one pair of earrings. I like the look of some of the OceanRhyme pieces, so I'll definitely send them a message. Thanks!

I think etsy was down! I looked at the links; the cost for the findings seems fine to me, although personally I would not want the pearls fully drilled with the metal finding at the base (I'm blanking on hit to describe this, the pin going all the way through it)? Another good option would be DruzyDesign on eBAY/ Ehret Design Gallery. They won't have that finding style you like but it would be a good place to source a pair of Tahitian dangles.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the Etsy settings, one can purchase loose pearls and then glue them to the posts with the right glue.

For inexpensive pearls for experimental purposes, I would suggest Wen Pearls on Etsy, just to try them out, before plunging for more expensive ones from the likes of Kojima and Druzy Design.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d be really careful about buying Tahitians online, make sure you can return them. I bought some earrings from PP, dangles on white gold and they did not suit me at all. I have similar colouring to you and generally find I look better in white, creamy or peachy pearls. I also felt that there wasn’t much orient to the pearls, they appeared like steel balls in most lighting! All in all an expensive mistake (I live out of the US so it was a major hassle to send them back).

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
With the Etsy settings, one can purchase loose pearls and then glue them to the posts with the right glue.

For inexpensive pearls for experimental purposes, I would suggest Wen Pearls on Etsy, just to try them out, before plunging for more expensive ones from the likes of Kojima and Druzy Design.

Would Wen Pearls Tahitians give me a good enough idea of how nicer Tahitians would look on me in real life? Or is it more to just practice with the fittings?

I’d be really careful about buying Tahitians online, make sure you can return them. I bought some earrings from PP, dangles on white gold and they did not suit me at all. I have similar colouring to you and generally find I look better in white, creamy or peachy pearls. I also felt that there wasn’t much orient to the pearls, they appeared like steel balls in most lighting! All in all an expensive mistake (I live out of the US so it was a major hassle to send them back).

Thank you for that thought! Have you ever tried natural blues? And what overtone were your Tahitians? I have a pair of very cheap Tahitian dangles that aren't exciting on me, but maybe that's not just because they aren't nice pearls. I'm just not in love with the idea of white/creamy pearls which seem a bit traditional for my taste, but maybe they'll look less traditional in a different setting or if they're baroque...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@newtojewels both. Have a look at what Wen Pearls has on offer for loose pairs and also strands of inexpensive Tahitians that one can break up, and then mix and match for earrings.
That's what I did, bought a strand, then chose two as drops for my small diamond huggies, made the drops for two bracelets, one for myself and one for a friend, and still have some to spare.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock

I agree, I hesitated to comment on it because I know many folks love Tahitians but I'm of similar coloring to you and I haven't found them flattering on me. Yes, they're beautiful in their own right, but I don't reach for them and have sold all my previous pairs. It's like my wearing a mustard yellow dress. It can be a beautiful dress, but it just does nothing for me. I find my baby blue Vietnamese akoyas more flattering, but I don't reach for them. I'm really a huge pink and white pearl fan, personally. But it all depends on the undertones. My baby blue pearls have a stronger silver undertone. I can take a pic if that's helpful in comparison, but I don't have any Tahitians, only silver/blue, white and pink/lavendar/multicolor.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
@newtojewels both. Have a look at what Wen Pearls has on offer for loose pairs and also strands of inexpensive Tahitians that one can break up, and then mix and match for earrings.
That's what I did, bought a strand, then chose two as drops for my small diamond huggies, made the drops for two bracelets, one for myself and one for a friend, and still have some to spare.

I found sterling silver threader fittings with a pearl mounting for just under $12, so I'm going to try an even less expensive version of your suggestion! A $40 failure is certainly better than a $400 failure, and it's worth knowing in advance.

I agree, I hesitated to comment on it because I know many folks love Tahitians but I'm of similar coloring to you and I haven't found them flattering on me. Yes, they're beautiful in their own right, but I don't reach for them and have sold all my previous pairs. It's like my wearing a mustard yellow dress. It can be a beautiful dress, but it just does nothing for me. I find my baby blue Vietnamese akoyas more flattering, but I don't reach for them. I'm really a huge pink and white pearl fan, personally. But it all depends on the undertones. My baby blue pearls have a stronger silver undertone. I can take a pic if that's helpful in comparison, but I don't have any Tahitians, only silver/blue, white and pink/lavendar/multicolor.

Based on your comment and others, I'm going to hold off on the pricey Tahitians for now and maybe think about natural blue Akoyas. Where did you get your baby blues? I'm just not excited about the idea of pinks and whites, but that may change if they look better on.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would Wen Pearls Tahitians give me a good enough idea of how nicer Tahitians would look on me in real life? Or is it more to just practice with the fittings?

Thank you for that thought! Have you ever tried natural blues? And what overtone were your Tahitians? I have a pair of very cheap Tahitian dangles that aren't exciting on me, but maybe that's not just because they aren't nice pearls. I'm just not in love with the idea of white/creamy pearls which seem a bit traditional for my taste, but maybe they'll look less traditional in a different setting or if they're baroque...

I have one small pair of Vietnamese blue earrings but tbh they look quite silvery grey which has put me off buying any more online. So difficult to see the colours properly! I agree with @dk168 about Wen pearls, I recently bought a strand of pastel button Tahitians which were about $120 then strung them myself- they are much more colourful than the peacocks I got from PP. Maybe it’s the baroque shape or the smaller size? Anyway, they are way more interesting. Like @Grymera I reach for my white/pinky/peachy pearls the most often!

Last edited:

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@newtojewels Mine are from Pearl Paradise, circa 2010 or something. I know there's been much discussion on this form about blue akoyas and where to find them. If Wen Pearls has them, I'd try there for something less expensive.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tahitians are finicky and it is important -- especially with pearls -- to really narrow down and define what your definition of "high quality" is going to be.

Remember that there is no standard grading system for pearls, so each vendor will have their own methods and guidelines for what falls under a particular quality.

If you're looking at Tahitians, you'll have to determine what color you're wanting and then determine other areas where you want "high quality." - Are you OK with any blemishes? Are you OK with a slightly off round pearl? - These are aspects you'll want to consider and then communicate to your chosen vendor.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

I have earrings from Julia-oceanrhyme. Her thing is imperfect pearls mainly. She is good on her descriptions though. I think her stuff is competitive in price and I have two pairs, I think?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I actually bought Reens baroque Akoyas (they threw in two extra surprise pearls!!! I gave one away because it was white, and the 3rd blue pearl is a little wonkier, but it was free - so I had it made into a matching dangle for a necklace pendant), and had them custom made into dangles using Studio Metals on Etsy! They also made me matching hoops in 14k Palladium WG

I have a wonderful experience with both vendors and am thrilled with the end result.

I shared a few other photos in this thread

IMG-3102.jpg
IMG-3105.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results