shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to buy lab colored gemstones?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Re-posting in the correct forum!

I'm totally new to colored gemstones. Where should I start my research for lab created colored gemstones? Hardness, cut, color, clarity, carat, and price are more important to me than a mined stone. Is there a James Allen or Blue Nile of lab colored gemstones?

I'm ideally looking for a 3-4ct emerald cut green stone, but am open to ideas. I'd like to set the ring in a rose gold setting for a cocktail/RHR. Will likely add side stones. I'm also open to an oval or cushion cut, possibly with a halo.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Gene at Precision Gem is cutting hydrothermal (I think) Emerald. It is chemically identical to real Emerald which I assume means it is as hard/soft as the real thing. As for the cut, you'd be hard pressed to fine better cut than from a precision cutter.

Alternative Lapidary on etsy/IG also has some cut some lovely Emeralds.

As for other "green" stones I don't know if lab tourmaline or garnet are a thing but those are often more affordable options for green stone lovers.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I've not asked Scott if he has lab emeralds but you can check with Scott Laborie on etsy as well. I usually have him cut my stones. If you look through our lab coloured stones thread there are other vendors as well who might do it. I just really like Scott so I stay with him. And his prices are more in my price range. Which is -$ lol.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I've not asked Scott if he has lab emeralds but you can check with Scott Laborie on etsy as well. I usually have him cut my stones. If you look through our lab coloured stones thread there are other vendors as well who might do it. I just really like Scott so I stay with him. And his prices are more in my price range. Which is -$ lol.

What is his gemstone store? I found an art page by searching his name.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Starsgem and Tianyu both cut hydrothermal emeralds. You can have one grown with slight silk lines/inclusions to make them look more authentic. I have seen a few really nice ones from Starsgem. I think they look a little nicer when they are not huge though. They are cut well and very affordable. They can make a ring for you to at the same time if that is what you are after.

If you like precision cuts, I also like Bryan and Melissa from Stag & Fitch for loose stones.

I have also had a lot of gemstones cut with the gemstone reddit group. They do precision cuts in lab or mined but you have to get on their list. Here is the link:

The moderator is u/earlysong. You can send her a message to fill out a custom request for a stone and they will price it for you. I would look through their sub as well as they always have some great deals on gemstones. These are very passionate lapidaries that really know their stuff and they are really helpful. I have bought several stones from them and great prices.

SaltedCaramel

Rough_Rock
Hello, I picked up a bit of knowledge about lab created colored gems during my own hunt for my engagement ring center stone, and I will share what I have learned!

If you are looking for a retailer where you simply add a lab gem to the cart and checkout like James Allen or Blue Nile, the first place that comes to mind is Chatham gems. There are authorized retailers of their loose lab gems, but these are pretty expensive and are not cut well in my opinion. The lab material is high quality but their cutting is a little disappointing. I have seen some of their sapphires in person and they have windowing (that certainly could have changed in the last 2 years). However their color is great, and they come with a warranty if that is important to you.

If you would be open to commissioning your perfect gem and waiting a few more weeks, I can attest to some of the artisans mentioned previously in this thread. I have purchased from Stag and Finch, Alternatives Lapidary, and the gemcutters on Reddit and would recommend all of these artisans for spectacular work, amazing value, and professional communication. They also often cut gems in designs that are different from the standard 12 jewelry store cuts which is really refreshing.

Bryan and Melanie, or Stag and Finch have lab Emerald and a beautiful green lab Sapphire readily available, both of which are great in color and hard enough for daily wear: https://www.stagandfinch.com/labcreated

Phil of Alternatives Lapidary operates out of Etsy, has lab Emerald and green Moissanite available (can probably source anything else), and accepts commissions: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlternativesLapidary?ref=shop_sugg

Jim Buday or u/shinyprecious on Reddit can source and cut lab anything. His waitlist is really long now due to popularity, but he does fantastic work that I would recommend to anyone: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinypreciousgems/

I hope this helps!

Tammy Gallagher

Rough_Rock
Re-posting in the correct forum!

I'm totally new to colored gemstones. Where should I start my research for lab created colored gemstones? Hardness, cut, color, clarity, carat, and price are more important to me than a mined stone. Is there a James Allen or Blue Nile of lab colored gemstones?

I'm ideally looking for a 3-4ct emerald cut green stone, but am open to ideas. I'd like to set the ring in a rose gold setting for a cocktail/RHR. Will likely add side stones. I'm also open to an oval or cushion cut, possibly with a halo.

Hello, I picked up a bit of knowledge about lab created colored gems during my own hunt for my engagement ring center stone, and I will share what I have learned!

If you are looking for a retailer where you simply add a lab gem to the cart and checkout like James Allen or Blue Nile, the first place that comes to mind is Chatham gems. There are authorized retailers of their loose lab gems, but these are pretty expensive and are not cut well in my opinion. The lab material is high quality but their cutting is a little disappointing. I have seen some of their sapphires in person and they have windowing (that certainly could have changed in the last 2 years). However their color is great, and they come with a warranty if that is important to you.

If you would be open to commissioning your perfect gem and waiting a few more weeks, I can attest to some of the artisans mentioned previously in this thread. I have purchased from Stag and Finch, Alternatives Lapidary, and the gemcutters on Reddit and would recommend all of these artisans for spectacular work, amazing value, and professional communication. They also often cut gems in designs that are different from the standard 12 jewelry store cuts which is really refreshing.

Bryan and Melanie, or Stag and Finch have lab Emerald and a beautiful green lab Sapphire readily available, both of which are great in color and hard enough for daily wear: https://www.stagandfinch.com/labcreated

Phil of Alternatives Lapidary operates out of Etsy, has lab Emerald and green Moissanite available (can probably source anything else), and accepts commissions: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AlternativesLapidary?ref=shop_sugg

Jim Buday or u/shinyprecious on Reddit can source and cut lab anything. His waitlist is really long now due to popularity, but he does fantastic work that I would recommend to anyone: https://www.reddit.com/r/Shinypreciousgems/

I hope this helps!

I was really being kind of snooty about the idea of buying a lab created sapphire, but when I saw that I could get one custom cut by Gene Flanagan, I decided to give it a go. I'm so happy that I did. This stone sparkles even under the clouds of the Pacific NW. The color of.the stone is exactly what I wanted and he cut it to exactly fit into an existing setting. No one should think twice about a lab created gemstone, as long as it is precision cut by Gene.

IMG_4135.JPG 2431-2.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My go to lapidary artists for CS are Jeff White and Gary at Finewater Gems, and they had both cut lab CSs for me.

Not sure if Jeff has any lab roughs in stock, and he has not posted any finished lab CS on his FB page lately.

However I am pretty certain that Gary has a variety of lab roughs in stock, as he can get hold of them while he can't travel to hunt for mined roughs in person due to C19.

My advice would be to contact Gary and ask if he has any roughs that may suit your requirement. He had a lab EC Emerald listed on his site not that long ago.

He has cut 2 lab stones on commission for me, and I bought a lab EC Ruby from his last mail drop a few days ago.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tammy Gallagher sadly Gene does not accept UK and EU customers anymore.

I did manage to purchase a small green mined Tourmaline from him a few years ago though.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Tammy Gallagher sadly Gene does not accept UK and EU customers anymore.

I feel bad about that, but the GDPR stuff is overwhelming, and the fines could totally put you out of business. I really don't think that many of the small vendors in the US bothered to look into and read the requirements to comply.

One for example is, if your organization is outside the EU, you need to appoint a representative within one o the EU member states, who can handle communications with the GDPR data protection authorities.

These types of regulations make it almost impossible for a very small business to operate. I know the last company I worked for which was Swedish based, had a team of people and spent hundreds of thousand getting compliant with the GDPR. But they sell billions per year, so that's quite different than me, who in the past would sell 5 or 6 stones a year into Europe.

No once the UK has their Brexit complete we can ship there.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PrecisionGem, thanks for that, and I am sure you have performed your own due diligence on matters relating to GDPR.

I am not an expert of this subject matter, and am not certain about the impact of data protection for UK citizens after Brexit. Time will tell.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results